Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

2011 rides in MD-DC-VA

To disable ads, please log-in.

The Oxon Hill bike club has begun to post cycling events for 2011:

http://www.ohbike.org/events/index.htm

Included: the Patuxent River Rural Legacy Ride on June 11, Bike Virginia on June 24-29, the Southern Maryland Century/Indian Head 100 on Sept 11, and the Seagull on Oct 15.

The Civil War Century is not yet listed, but will probably be Sept 10 since it usually the day before the Southern Maryland century.

Also not (yet) listed: The Ride to End Hunger in Calvert County will be on April 30, which will be my first goal of the year, and the Tour de Cure in Reston, VA will be June 5. I'm thinking of doing the Tour de Cure this year since I'm not doing the Livestrong Challenge.

http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/Tou...try&fr_id=7563

I'm sure the list will grow over the next couple of months. I'm psyched!
    Last edited by ny biker; 01-03-2011 at 12:07 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Wild Goose Chase will be Sunday, Oct. 23 this year. Registration will open in late February. I did this last year with two friends, had a blast, and plan to do it again this year.

Just signed up for wild goose chase

Hope to see a lot of you at the 2011 Wild Goose Chase.

I think I'm skipping the goose chase this year and might just do a weekend at blackwater with some friends.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    I think I'm skipping the goose chase this year and might just do a weekend at blackwater with some friends.
    Agreed. I think Blackwater's close enough to the DC metro area that many of us can make a day (perhaps a long day) of it and do our own Wild Goose Chase ride....or make a weekend and do a Wild Good multi-sport. Nice that it benefits Friends of Blackwater (does it still?), but that group can be supported in other ways, too.....
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

We should pick a weekend maybe in April/May or Sept and make it a TE get together and/or multisport weekend - do a long ride one day and then if there's any kayakers that want to make a weekend of it, do a paddle the next day.

If there's interest in making it a weekend, there's the usual hotels. I know Kmerzad wants to get in practice camping for eventual bike touring, so we could get a group campsite for near by and camp.

I'm onboard for the ride with friends and an overnight if that's the consensus.

I'm also opting out of the WGC this year.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Wild Goose camping

There really aren't any campgrounds near Cambridge. THe closest are Trap Pond in Laurel, DE or Martinak in Denton, MD.

I am always up for a bike ride around Cambridge, Blackwater, St. Michaels, Easton, Oxford.

The beauty of this area is that it's only 2 hrs from the DC area, or from my area. I've been known to go over there to ride by myself on a nice day, or to detour there to ride on my way home from a DC weekend.

Late October does offer spectacular color, but the spring migration is nice too.

I'll probably do Wild Goose, but that's a busy weekend for me. Might have to do it the week after.

A couple of my friends camped last year. They stayed at the first, but biked past the 2nd to check it out:

1. Stay close by in a trailer park. The best candidate right now is Madison Bay Campground, 9.4mi 14 min from Blackwater.
    4814 Canning House Road Madison, MD 21648 410-228-4111. their description says: Enjoy spacious campsites, boatslips, showers, laundry area, restaurant, and a game room. Call for more information. They do not have a website. I called but got a private voicemail (Candy Hughes).

There are a couple other trailer parks. Taylors Island 14.4mi 22min from Blackwater.
    Here is the only review I could find (from a kayaker): Review of Taylors Island campground:
    Camping in Dorchester County is limited to three private campgrounds that mostly function as trailer parks, and two of them are on Taylor's Island. Given its tiny marina--a mere notch on the coastline--the Taylor's Island Family Campground ([410] 397-3275) is most convenient for a trip to nearby James Island, and it's but a short drive to the put-in for paddling to Barren Island. Its small area for tent camping is in the marshy pine woods behind the last row of trailers, a short walk to the showers, a convenient store with a liquor license, a pool room, and a shack filled with video-poker machines. The most prevalent patrons here are beer-drinking men in baseball caps telling fish tales by fire pits, their boats nearby, hitched to pickup trucks. But paddlers are more than welcome to join in the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    A couple of my friends camped last year. They stayed at the first, but biked past the 2nd to check it out:

Its small area for tent camping is in the marshy pine woods behind the last row of trailers, a short walk to the showers, a convenient store with a liquor license, a pool room, and a shack filled with video-poker machines. The most prevalent patrons here are beer-drinking men in baseball caps telling fish tales by fire pits, their boats nearby, hitched to pickup trucks. .
    I used to camp at places like that in my younger days. At my ripe old age I now leave places like that to people like them. Oh, and don't forget the mosquitoes!

I'm in for the self supported non goose chase, with the paddling option. Hotel only...I'm with withm on no more camping (although I am going to camp while mountain biking in Moab this spring, but I prefer not to think about it yet.)
    2007 Rivendell Glorius/Trico gel with cutout (not made any more apparently)
    2005 Specialized Sequoia Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2006 Kona Cinder Cone/another Trico gel
    1986? Bridgestone mixte/Brooks B72
    1991 Bridgestone 300 Xtracycle/Terry Gelissimo

Bike DC is May 22. They had problems getting a permit for part of the ride, but all issues are now resolved.

http://bikedc.net/

Gone but not forgotten:

Registration is now open for the Civil War Century on Sept 10, 2011.

Pre-registration is required, no walk-ons allowed. Last year they sold out in August.

http://www.civilwarcentury.com/

I'm planning to do the metric.

Gone but not forgotten:

The Ride to End Hunger in Calvert County is tomorrow. It starts in Huntingtown, MD, and heads over through Chesapeake Beach/North Beach on the bay.

http://endhungercalvert.org/bike/

I'll be doing the 48-mile route. Will anyone else be there? I'll probably be starting late, like around 9 am, since I'd like to give the sun a few hours to warm things up first.

Gone but not forgotten:

Late summer rides

I'm planning to do the Reston Century, metric version, which is on Sunday August 21 starting in Reston, VA.

http://www.restonbikeclub.org/restoncentury/

On Saturday, Sept 10, I'm doing the Civil War (metric) Century out of Thurmont, MD.

http://www.civilwarcentury.com/

(Note that registration is closed for this, so you if you're not already registered it's too late.)

On Sunday, Sept 11, I'll be helping out at the post-ride picnic for the Southern Maryland Century/Indian Head 100 in Indian Head, MD.

http://ohbike.org/century/

Will anyone else be participating in any of these rides?

Gone but not forgotten: