Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bell on Drop Bars - where do you put one?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm currently using my Surly Cross Check for everything - commuting, club runs, social rides, errands. It doesn't have a bell. I have bells on my other (non-drop bar) bikes, which I've found useful on shared use paths. Without one, I'm yelling all the time to get people's attention and I'm tired of that.

So - where do you put a bell on drop bars?? I've slapped one on this evening, like this (for now), but it sticks out like an inflamed boil and frankly looks ridiculous.

And yes, it's a big traditional metal ding-dong bell. I don't like the sound of the small plastic bells - I have one of those on the Brompton and it's pathetic.

Is there a better way? Thanks in advance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg 
Views:	3907 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	12385
    Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk

This doesn't really answer your question, but...what about using a smaller, more inconspicuous bell like this?
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I attach my bells to the stem on both my bikes with drop bars. Brass bells now.
    On my bike page, you can see where I attach it on my blue Rambouillet- in the pix with the grocery panniers:
    http://harmonias.com/bikes/

Since those pix were taken, I got two nicer brass bells and have them on both my bikes now. Love having bells, and I find them very useful.
    When you place them, you have to adjust how your thumb will hit the ringer lever just right. My husband got a black hose clamp to attach the bell around the thicker stem, and we used a little patch of bike inner tube to protect the finish of the bike where we clamped it. The rubber also keeps the bell firmly in place.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

nscrbug - thanks for the alternative suggestion but I do like a big bell.

Lisa - the way you've fixed your big brass bell to the stem is exactly how I have my big bell fixed on my vintage mixte - which, like your Riv, has an elegant quill stem. The Surly has a fat modern-looking stem - more like what you have on your Luna - though possibly even thicker than that. So how have you fitted a bell to the Luna? And, what do you mean by "black hose clamp"?

cheers ladies
    Last edited by Rebecca19804; 12-28-2010 at 10:31 AM.
    Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk

When I use a bell on my roadie, I mount it right below the shifter hood and turn it so that I can ring it when my hands are on the hoods.

I use this bell: http://www.mirrycle.com/adjustabell.php

I have this bell screwed directly into the downtube shifter boss on my Surly LHT. It's a nice spot to have a bell - easy to reach, and no conflicts with all of the other equipment already on my handlebar and stem I'll be double checking that this is a good idea for the long-term when I take the bike in for its tuneup in a week or two.

Let me know if you want a photo of this arrangement. Right now isn't so convenient but I could go out to the garage and snap one tomorrow.

Velo Orange also sells a headset spacer with a bell mount. The next time I order anything from them, I'll probably get it... if I ever order anything from them again. (I was less than thrilled with my last order.)
    Last edited by soprano; 12-29-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Saw this on "that other forum" on one of the well-behaved subforums. I really like the position.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post11786764
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast