Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dated ads

To disable ads, please log-in.

My mom had heard that and subscribed to it when she was nursing my youngest sister (born in 1965). Not that she'd ever had an issue with milk supply for me or the middle sister.

Of the three of us, the youngest (nursed on beer) grew up to have the worst problems with alcohol. But I'm not ready to blame the milkohol for that, since in different combinations, two of us have/had issues with alcohol, two with tobacco, and two with opiates. Addiction/CD clearly has affected all three of us.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I was surprised to see an ad for prescribing a drug; since we see them so often these days it's interesting to see how far it goes back. Also easy to criticise it in the same method that could be applied to many modern ads - directly reminds me of the excedrin migraine commercial (take our drug, it lets you get back to helping others).

The "you never feel over-smoked with marlboro" ad was pretty creepy. :P

Babies in cellophane... WTF!? I did laugh out loud at the pig slicing itself. Seriously.

What an interesting collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    I wish they were bigger, I can't read the small texts... would be nice material for teaching or discussion in gender-workshops.
    On a PC - hold the control and depress the + key, will make the web pager bigger. On a Mac its the command and + buttons.
    ah, getting older, the things we learn
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    I was surprised to see an ad for prescribing a drug; since we see them so often these days it's interesting to see how far it goes back.
    I think it was a regulatory decision by the FDA. Back in the day, drug ads ran in medical journals. Conflicts of interest? No one had heard of them back then.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

beer and nursing

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post

Both the pediatrician and the OB told me the nursing/beer combo was ok in moderation, and might improve everyone's mood a little bit now and then. Who was I to argue with that kind of advice from my doctor?
    I was firmly informed by a buxom Valkyrie at the Hofbrau Haus in Munich, when 7 months pregnant I visited there with my husband and was trying to refuse the second full liter of beer that she was insisting that I should drink that "beer das is Baviarian mothers milk."

I fully expected her to follow me down the stairs with the untouched liter insisting that I drink drink drink as we left.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    Isn't this "une femme, une pipe, un pull"-ad strange? What were they thinking?
    What are pipe and pull in French? The image is odd. Is that guy naked from the waist down? eeuu.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Pull is a sweater, pipe is pipe and also has another meaning in slang.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

My nursing best friend got the advice (from her doctor) to drink one bottle of dark beer in the evening because she wasn't having enough milk. That was half a year ago!

TsPoet -thank you, but some of the pictures don't have a high enough resolution (the small texts just get blurry when enlarging the pic)