Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sun Ringle Zu-Zu Pedal Review

To disable ads, please log-in.

Due to recovering from several injuries, I have returned to BMX pedals for the winter, and I selected Sun Ringle Zu-Zu pedals after talking with the staff at my LBS.

These pedals have lots of pins, the pins are adjustable, and they have sealed bearings. My original pair of BMX pedals were quite beat up and only had 4 pins - I think in winter conditions the more the merrier.

On part of one of my routes there is a VERY rough patch of pavement that I normally avoided as my feet always slid around with my older bmx pedals. Sunday I didn't ride around it but over it as a car was passing me - and my feet stayed right where they were supposed to. Wasn't sure my TEETH would, but my feet did. I was very impressed and felt just as secure going over this stretch of road as I did clipped in.

I think most here probably use clipless pedals, but if you want to try out BMX pedals - which in my opinion are greatly superior to other types of platform pedals - these would be good to try. They are not inexpensive, but well worth the money.

Just keep in mind that the pins on these pedals will draw blood if they hit your leg right, but of course in the winter we don't often have bare skin anyway.
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-23-2010 at 06:10 AM.

After my ACL surgery my surgeon did not want me held to the pedal in any way. BMX pedals were out and even regular platform pedals were too grippy but I found out that Speedplay makes a flat pedal that clips over the lollipop part of the Speedplay X's. My feet did slip on bumpy pavement but at least my ortho was happy and I can wear regular shoes if I want which I've never done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    After my ACL surgery my surgeon did not want me held to the pedal in any way. BMX pedals were out and even regular platform pedals were too grippy but I found out that Speedplay makes a flat pedal that clips over the lollipop part of the Speedplay X's. My feet did slip on bumpy pavement but at least my ortho was happy and I can wear regular shoes if I want which I've never done.
    Glad that you found something that worked for you and that you were able to ride

I am thankful that I can use the BMX pedals - I really hate it when my feet slip around or bounce off the pedals, it is just disconcerting to me. Thankfully the hiking shoes that Indysteel recommended to me in another thread seem to be just fine for my needs.