Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Arm Coolers vs Long sleeved jersey

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okie dokie, summer has arrived (egads 36C today) and am now trying to decide between a long sleeved jersey from Ground Effect or some arm coolers. I'd like to do some long rides this summer...

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/produc...il-TIP-WOM.htm

http://www.lifecycle.net.au/2010/02/...uv-protection/

I've searched through the various summer/arm cooler thoughts threads but haven't found the answer i'm looking for. Does it all come down to much of a muchness when wearing a long sleeved summer jersey or short sleeved one w armcoolers?? Is it all about personal preference in this case??

I think either option will accomplish the same thing: reduced sun exposure. For me, it's sort of a mental thing. I have a mental block when it comes to wearing a long sleeve jersey in summer, despite the fact that I've done it while sailing and it's really not any hotter than short sleeves. I prefer the arm coolers because I know that I can peel them off if they do get too hot and it's easier (IMO) to re-apply sunscreen under them if necessary.

I do like the looks of that Ground Effect jersey though... Hmmmm....

I've never worn a long-sleeved jersey for cooling, but here's my experience with the DeSoto arm coolers.

- Once they're waterlogged with sweat (which happens fairly quickly IME), they are no cooler than bare skin, although they're not hotter either, and still work to prevent sunburn without chemicals.

- When I first put them on, they're noticeably cooler than the ambient air. So I'm guessing if your climate is dry, they will probably work very well.

- On me, the DeSoto brand don't stay up. For some reason the silicone grippers are wider than the bicep, and the fabric doesn't stretch much.

- On me, a hat (even my nice lightweight white ventilated Athleta hat) traps a LOT of heat and I generally take it off and run with it in my hand whenever I'm in shade. The arm coolers don't seem to do the same thing; I'm never tempted to roll them down when I'm in shade. I am going to guess that anything that fits loosely or doesn't have the special cooling weave, would trap heat in the same way that a hat does.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've worn cool wings for two summers now, and I do notice a difference in terms of their ability to keep me cool. When I first put them on, when I'm sweating, when I pour cold water on them, all the time. The only time they don't help is when I'm stopped at a light in the hot sun, but under those circumstances nothing is comfortable.

They don't get waterlogged for me. In fact, after a ride when I take them off, the skin that was in contact with the cool wings is dry, while I'm soaked everywhere else, including exposed skin as well as whatever is covered by my jersey.

I've never tried a long sleeved jersey in the heat.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I have the DeSoto cool wings. I find them much cooler than bare skin because my skin is so dark (no matter how much sunscreen I use) that it heats up. White armcoolers are better! I actually have worn mine while working in the garden as well.

I also agree with Oak - they work better in a drier environment (particularly if you aren't actively moving like when gardening). I didn't like my coolwings all that much when I lived in NC which is very humid, but they work fantastic out here in the dry Oregon summers. I've never known them to get water logged though - they stay drier than bare skin, actually.

Plus, the cool wings are nice to have because when you get off the bike, you can take them off and just be in a sleeveless jersey as opposed to being in something with long sleeves.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

shade

Thanks for the info kids.

GLC-i can't wear coolwings plus my Ground Effect vesty thingy if i do an Audax ride..i'd boil!

I'll try the arm cooler things for now.

Most of the places i ride or will be riding, are in the open w very little shade. It warms up quickly & no escape from the sun...For example, i was going to join the Audax kids for a ride tomorrow but it's going to be 38C & am not getting sunstroke before an important exam...

Hopefully Dec 4th won't be too hot as i'm rejoining the fun w de Audax crew. 220k's o fun.

I've got that Ground Effect Jersey, bought for a the same reasons - I wanted a summer long sleeved jersey for sun protection. Unfortunately I still find it cooler with short sleeves on - I've found the GE jersey pretty hot :-( although it's still a nice jersey. I've got some white torpedo7 arm warmer/coolers and I'll be testing them out this summer. The thing I like about the arms is that you can chop and change - start out without them on and pull them up when you know you're sunscreen is no longer doing the job. Or alternately you have the option of pulling them down if you really overheat with them on.
    I'm on the east coast north of Syd and moved here from Melbs - so might be getting more humidity than you do over west. Definitely more humid than melbs was. My other gripe with sun protection is that girls shorts are all SHORT! I love my castelli bib knicks because they come almost to my knee and mean I don't have to sunscreen the whole thigh.

arms

Scarah-thanks & ya, i think i'll go with the arm coolers..