Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

New Clipless Rider!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday, I bravely walked into my LBS and said, "Lets talk pedals"! After installing the pedals and cleats on my new shoes, I was put on a trainer. I proclaimed, "This is easy!" THEN, Ernie, who was on the pro circuit for years says, "Okay, now lets go out into the parking lot!" All of my courage suddenly left me! He told me just to ride toward him and he would catch me. I did and nearly ran over him! He didn't let me fall though! I had forgotten to use my brakes in time because I was so focused on clipping out! After a few times I did get it down. As I was leaving he said, "You did great! Just be sure to wear your helmet!" That didn't sound like much encouragement!

violetpurl Guest
    Congratulations! Don't be discouraged if you fall - I swore I was taking my pedals off and going back to platforms after I fell two times in quick succession. And have fallen twice more since then - but I love my clipless pedals and they really didn't take that long to get used to. So much more efficient. Isn't Ernie the best!

You'll get used to it in no time, and then you will love the additional power. Just look for a stop sign or tree branch you can grab onto just in case. I started out with clipless on my mountain bike, it was comforting to know that I could lean on a tree! Also remember that even if you only clip in with one shoe, start one legged pedaling until you get momentum and then do the other shoe. Congrats.
    2009 Specialized Roubaix pro/SMP lite 209
    2010 Trek 4300/Specialized ariel 155

Way to go! It's worth the initial trouble. And I think I fell at least 4 times
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

Congratulations! I do like riding clipless though I can't do that right now due to an injury or two. Just pace yourself

Quote Originally Posted by warneral View Post
    Way to go! It's worth the initial trouble. And I think I fell at least 4 times
    It's totally worth it! And you will occasionally forget or lean the wrong way even after you're used to them. Just last Saturday, I fell at the end of the group ride I was leading right at the entrance to the bike shop. My chiro, who also rides, asked me if I hurt. I replied, "not as much as my pride...."
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

Clipless made easier

Hi, I thought it would be helpful to pass along a tip I got from a sales associate at REI.

Bring your bike inside, and place it in a door frame (yes, the door should be open). Mount your bicycle and maintain your balance using your hands against the door jamb. Practice clipping out of your pedals while stationary in the door jamb. You'll be able to get about 40-50 practice clip outs in about 15 - 20 minutes.

The best part is you will be able to decide quickly whether you want to loosen the clips tension or not and you will get a lot of experience quickly. Your confidence will rapidly increase and you will go faster longer.

I changed pedals, when I bought a new bike, I went through the same routine again and it was well worth the time. At the risk of jinxing myself, by doing this exercise, using both pedals, I have never fallen over.

I hope that helps.

Haven't even ridden yet!

I haven't gotten on my bike yet.....I've been in Texas helping my daughter with my new grandson! She had him Monday. I'm going back tomorrow,so I may not be able to ride until after Thanksgiving. Thank you all for such wonderful tips and support!

Yay! Welcome to the wonderful world of clipless pedals! I'll never forget the first time my friend rode clipless. She was new to riding in general, and trying out a friend's bike to see if she wanted to get into the sport and spend the bucks on a nice bike. I stood next to her on my bike, we both had our left foot clipped in, the owner of the bike and her husband are standing there giving tips, I say, "Okay, let's go!", I push off and clip my other foot in, turn back to see how she's doing and she's laying down on the ground!

So, she got her "falling over" thing out of the way right from the get go! But she was a trooper. She got back up, got clipped in and got pretty good at it that day. She became my bestest riding buddy.

Good for you for going clipless. I noticed a gal riding with regular pedals today on our club ride, which is very rare. I felt bad for her, because she was working harder than anyone, and I wondered if she even knew it! She may know and is working up to it, but she was riding pretty darn well for regular pedals.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

Quote Originally Posted by Jiffer View Post
    ... I noticed a gal riding with regular pedals today on our club ride, which is very rare. I felt bad for her, because she was working harder than anyone, and I wondered if she even knew it! She may know and is working up to it, but she was riding pretty darn well for regular pedals.
    Perhaps she was riding with regular pedals simply because she wanted to? Not everyone likes clipless pedals...and some like riding both types of pedal depending on the bike/riding style.
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-28-2010 at 04:01 AM.

FINALLY! I rode 17 miles today and did fine. No falls. I CAN NOT believe the EASE of pedaling clipless compared to regular pedals. I absolutely love it!

Today, I rode over the Big Dam Bridge in Little Rock and did fall. It happened right when I got on my bike in the gravel/dirt parking lot! Just fell right over! My husband stoped by our LBS and got him some shoes/pedals after our ride. This should be interesting having us both learning at the same time!