Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

September/October Mental Health Challenge

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know it's a crazy idea.
    I'm crazy, so no surprise that I have these ideas.

I was just thinking that it seems to work out for the weight loss people, so maybe it would help me be a little less crazy. Or even if I am just as crazy, maybe I could hide it a little better and act a little more like a normal person.

What do you think?
    Anyone else?
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I'm all for increased sanity, but what's entailed in "the challenge"?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I'm crazy, too, but I don't think there's much hope for me!

It's only a matter of time before I become that woman on Simpsons, uttering jibberish while waving half a dozen cats.

This would truly be a challenge.

Maybe people could share ideas about what is helping them relieve stress, get out from under depression etc.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

A friend posted something on facebook recently about avoiding stress. One of the things mentioned was "Stop trying to fix people." And I thought, YES. I need to do this.

Inconsiderate people who think the world revolves around them really piss me off. People who are supposed to help you because they work in customer service but they just can't be bothered to care really piss me off. Somehow I need to learn to just shrug it off when I encounter these people. Because being really pissed off too much of the time makes other people think you're just crazy and bitter. And it does not feel good.

Sorry if that's not what you had in mind. But it's something I've been thinking about lately, in part due to lph's post about the funeral for the woman who nobody liked. I want to focus on positive instead of negative, but it's not always easy to do.

Also sorry if I'm not making much sense. This all connects in my mind, but I don't know if I'm explaining it well.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

part of my problem is overthinking. Ruminating. Chewing it over. and over. and over.

OCD, I guess. I'm going to try inositol and see if it makes a difference.

OCD... I resemble that - but prefer to refer to it as "being detail oriented"

It actually works well with my job, and my friends are welcome (and do) to tell me when I start over-thinking - my trainer does this as well.

I have noted that my life "with bike" has become less anxious and am far more of a relaxed person than I was. I attribute this to the stress relief from exercise in general, and all of the lovely endorphins from cycling.

I think a lot of it is stress relief - and that we set ourselves up when we become too sedentary - not that any TE women do this! I was a slug for years - working huge numbers of hours and killing myself from workaholism - but only my fingers/brain were working, the body wasn't

NY Biker I think you made perfect sense - it is hard to write this stuff out...hopefully my post makes some kind of sense.

Yes I could use this challenge too! My job has been way way too stressful for the past three to four weeks and I am snapping at everyone! It doesn't help that my ex husband also sent me a distressing e-mail 3 weeks ago! I sleep two to three hours and then lay awake the rest of the night thinking about work or being angry. I need some sort of chant or mantra I can use! LOL What do you have in mind? Some sort of build ourselves up discussion? I can tell you that I booked a day long women only mountain biking clinic that includes lunch and yoga for tomorrow and as much as I am looking forward to it, I feel guilty spending the money on myself! I just keep telling myself that I deserve a day to indulge myself and hopefully help de-stress.

oh, and don't talk to me about guilt! I'm the queen of guilt, as in feeling it with everything. Feeling I should do everything and feel guilty if I say no or can't follow through on something due to circumstances.

I think it's fabulous you're doing your workshop, and don't feel guilty about it, it's all good!! (note to self: do as you preach).

Oh--the things I have in mind---in my mind--no, we don't need to dwell on those things.

As for the content of the thread--I'm wide open to anything...this is the internet after all!

I like what everyone has said so far. No specific details of a challenge, although if you have any ideas, I could be game. Maybe, anything would help.

Personally, I have spent most of the afternoon drinking beer and playing piano, and I'm feeling pretty all right for the moment.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I could use this challenge too! But how do we make it small and manageable? Not everyone ran 24 miles today ... and I sure didn't do anything with my mental health other than my run. But if I were going to log something it would be on the order of "got off the couch for something other than my run."

Suggestions?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I desperately need to get back to some semblance of an exercise routine. I've had nearly every reason to avoid it over the last year: moving, buying and selling a house, multiple issues with pets including losing a beloved one and getting a new one, getting married, taking a honeymoon, increased workload, a new and long commute, minor health problems, a bum hip, and one of the rainiest Junes on record, followed by one of the hottest July/Augusts.

I went from riding over 5,000 miles a year to being lucky to do 50 a week. I do make it to yoga once a week, but I'd rather make it twice. Riding used to be my social life, but I rarely see my cycling buddies anymore because I live so much farther away. I miss them badly.

In short, something--actually multiple things--needs to change and fast. I have my DH's support, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to do some things without his full cooperation. Next summer, I need to get up earlier and ride without him if necessary. By late morning, when he finally gets his but in gear, it's just too hot. And I need to ride with my friends more. Fundamentally, I just need to ride.

Last winter, I had some eye problems and was told I couldn't run for a spell. I have no excuse this winter. I also need to rejoin the Y. I let my membership lapse because I wasn't able to get to many classes. This year, I just can't use any excuses.

Life changes really throw a wrench into our routines, but if my life is going to work, then I'm going to have to figure it out.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Be careful Indysteel.

You have a laundry list of things to do, but trying to do them all at once can be overwhelming. Make gains in a couple, or even just one, goal at a time, otherwise you run the risk of failing and feeling bad again. I think a good idea to start would be to schedule that second yoga day in. That's totally doable!

Quote Originally Posted by DebSP View Post
    I sleep two to three hours and then lay awake the rest of the night thinking about work or being angry.
    Deb,

I worry a lot, running through the worse case scenarios in my head, along with my to-do list for the next day. Sometimes it helps to get up, write down whatever it is that's going on in your head and try to go back to sleep. Often I'm up worrying about forgetting to do something the next day. If it's written down, i don't have to worry about forgetting it.

I sort of agree FunSize, but I've already let myself off the hook for a year. Nothing on my plate right now is going the change anytime soon. It's time for me to get used to it. For me, exercise is second only to talk therapy in keeping my mood and anxiety in check.

There are things I could do to make time for exercise, the first and foremost being making better use of my weekend mornings. It's just too easy to sleep in.

I likely won't ever--or at least anytime soon--have another 5k mile year. If I could even do half that, I'd be happy.

--Mary Anne Radmacher