Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mountain bikes for short people. 27" inseam

To disable ads, please log-in.

I currently ride a Santa Cruz Blur XC. It has a 20.5 effective top tube (and I still had to put a short stem), and a 26" standover height.

Unfortunately Santa Cruz stopped making bikes in this size, and I realize that if I ever wanted an all mountain full suspension, or another cross country full suspension that I am out of luck.

I've looked at the specs of many brands of bikes but the I can't find a high end (or any price range) full suspension that would fit me. It seems that standover heights don't go smaller than 28" or 29" and effectgive top tubes start at about 21". Supposedly Tony Ellsworth's wife is also only 5' and I had the chance to sit on her bike (an Ellsworth Truth), but it was a little long still and I think I only had stand over clearance was just ok.

Is there anyone out there with any suggestions or have had the same problem?

Have you looked at a Titus Racer X in XXS? I have an XS and about a 28.5" inseam, and the bike fits me perfectly. Nice short effective top tube and plenty of standover. I haven't looked to see if they still make the XXS size, but you might be able to find a used one.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Giant has some small fs frames, as does Jamis and even Ellsworth

There's more out there than you think. MTBR's women's lounge has extensive ongoing discussion on small bikes fro small women. www.mtbr.com > women's lounge
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Giant has some small fs frames, as does Jamis and even Ellsworth

There's more out there than you think. MTBR's women's lounge has extensive ongoing discussion on small bikes fro small women. www.mtbr.com > women's lounge
    I just found this forum, it looks like a nice one!

Same issue here but I've got a 28 inch inseam. Went to six shops to try bikes and was disappointed till I tried a Specialized Safire and then ordered the S-Works. Not all-mountain, more a trail bike, but it is a fantastic ride with a short top tube and good standover. I also have a Giant Anthem that fits well.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

pivot

A lot of the bikes that were suggested are not small enough. =( And still now all mountain/longer travel bikes.

Found one alternative for an xc bike .. a Pivot Mach 4 in xxs. 20.8 tt and 25.5 standover. =)

One of the racers on my team is TINY and she rides a Pivot. They are supposed to be really awesome bikes. The people I know with them will sing their praises for hours.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Have you looked at a Titus Racer X in XXS? I have an XS and about a 28.5" inseam, and the bike fits me perfectly. Nice short effective top tube and plenty of standover. I haven't looked to see if they still make the XXS size, but you might be able to find a used one.
    I can't find the geometry specs for this bike.

Unfortunately, Titus is no longer in business. It appears that they haven't even maintained their web domain.

yep, titus went bye bye but you can still find them on Craig's list.

OP, have you been to MTBR. com yet and searched threads in the women's lounge?

Both giant and jamis have 13" fs frames.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Neither the giants or the jamis were small enough. Maybe I'm just trying to get people to feel my pain. For some reason when I tell people that they don't make things in my size (There is only 1 xc bike that I know of, the Pivot, but no trail/all mountain or downhill. And adult ski boots are not made in my size either.),they seem to be in denial. The outdoor industry hates short people. And I work in the outdoor industry, so I have a lot of exposure to the brands and products offered.

I think I just need to vent.

One of my best riding buddies is 4'8 and she does find on a 13" giant. So, I don't feel YOUR pain but I do know real people who find things that work.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Don't know if I believe it, but I thought I read on bikeforums that Titus had been bought with plans of resurrection? Not that it helps anyone in the present.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

There's always custom, too.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Looks like Titus is back...

On-One Purchase of Titus Bikes Official Press Release

On One, the Mountain Bike Division of Planet X Ltd (Rotherham, UK) has acquired the brand, trade marks and assets of Titus Bikes Inc (Tempe, USA).* The Titus acquisition complements the On One range, with the addition of high quality full suspension models. By leveraging our experience in carbon and titanium bike development we intend to build on the already strong Titus range.

In addition the Titus brand and loyal customers will provide a boost to On One’s planned expansion into the US in 2011.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2