My partner and I are thinking about doing some long distance touring in the future. I would like to get all our ducks in a row (bikes, gear, etc.) and start with some short tours next summer. We live close enough to Banff/Jasper that I think that's where we'd start.

I've been through all the relevant threads here, and I've done lots of backpacking in the past, so I think I can figure out the gear part. I'm stumped on the bike.

I'm 5'2". I have ridden both unisex and WSD. My most comfortable bike is a WSD Cannondale bike. I need short reach brakes/brifters. I think I want steel because the buzz from my aluminum road bike bothers me after a couple of hours. Custom is probably out of the budget. I know there are a few bikes to choose from that fit, or could modified to fit, all these criteria. (i.e. one of the Surleys, the Trek 520, Jamis Aurora)

Here is my dilemma: I have an LBS that I LOVE. They don't sell any of those bikes that I know shorter women have made work. The only touring-specific bike they sell is the Rocky Mountain Sherpa, and they don't actually carry one in the shop. Even if they did, I'm sure it wouldn't be a 47 cm frame!

Has anyone tried a Sherpa? How did it fit?