Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Cool - this is good information to have, thanks! That certainly does broaden the possibilities
    I do use ergon grips on my mountain bike - and generally it's not having a death grip on your handlebars that helps your wrists mountain biking. But in general, mountain biking is just different from road riding - it's very changeable, it's not constantly pedaling and constantly holding the handlebars - on a flat or a downhill, you're not pedaling much or at all, you're just steering the bike. The uphills are steep and rockier, so you're pedaling then.

This may just be my impression, 'cause I'm not terribly great at mountain biking - but if I pedal on a flat or downhill, I gain too much speed that I can't deal with tight turns or obstacles.

Except for bamboo and wood, I think I've used bikes made from every material and a properly built mtb frame doesn't have aluminum buzz.

The material of the bars is more important than the material of the frame. For instance, you will find carbon or ti or light aluminum bars to be better than steel bars for reducing buzz. Additionally, the sweep back angle of the bars can be critical to reducing hand/wrist pain. I only use bars with a 9-11 degree sweep due to wrist pain.

Tire and fork pressure make a big impact.

Don't get stuck on the material. Focus on design and functionality, and proper pressure.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    This may just be my impression, 'cause I'm not terribly great at mountain biking - but if I pedal on a flat or downhill, I gain too much speed that I can't deal with tight turns or obstacles.
    Try looking further ahead!

I think Irulan said it best once. Something along the lines of "if you learn to brake properly, you'll ride faster." I think she's the one who said it (at least I'll give her the credit) and it's very true - but you have to look ahead and anticipate.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 10-14-2010 at 08:15 AM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Try looking further ahead!

I think Irulan said it best once. Something along the lines of "if you learn to brake properly, you'll ride faster." I think she's the one who said it (at least I'll give her the credit) and it's very true - but you have to look ahead and anticipate.
    I'm working on it - way faster than I used to be.

Salsa! I love mine.... I also second the suggestion for handlebars with 10* of sweep or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    I'm working on it - way faster than I used to be.
    well its like this... if you are riding so fast that you are having a hard time slowing down for obstacles, sevaral things can happen.

1. Brake check that turns into an endo. If you are at a speed that you can do controlled/modulated braking at, you'll be much less likely to do a brake check (which can easily turn into an endo)

2. Braking from too high a speed approaching a corner creates brake bumps in the trail. These suck; they are like washboards on a dirt road. You can tell a trail that has too many beginners and/or out of control riders on it by the braking bumps. As a trail builder I get annoyed by this.

If you need ideas how to develop your braking and speed control skills there is a wealth of knowledge with the riders here.
    Last edited by Irulan; 10-14-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM