Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Does the seatpost matter?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Other than adjustability features, does seatpost quality matter? I don't care for the seatpost on my new bike. My other one has little ridges to allow you to "feel" where you are putting the angle of the seat. It is also much easier to trade out saddles. Lastly, it is carbon fiber. Does a carbon fiber seatpost make any impact on quality of ride? I was thinking about seeing if I could trade them out. Or possibly look at a different one for my new bike.
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

A micro-adjustable seatpost makes more difference than you might think. If you can get the saddle tilt you want without it, great; but unless you have a tensioned leather or uncovered carbon saddle, as it wears in, odds are it will compress unevenly, and micro-adjustability may let you get more life out of your saddle. You can shim a splined seatpost - I do - but the shims compress, too, and it needs to be re-done periodically.

I'd be surprised if there were really a noticeable ride difference between carbon and aluminum, although I've never ridden carbon, so I can't say from personal experience.

Carbon seatposts can be a PITA - I know how easily it scratches because the one that came on my bike is carbon-wrapped. And I've read that carbon has a tendency to slip in the seat tube, and you need a special carbon paste to lubricate it. But that latter is hearsay only.

Still, I'd be hesitant to give up the micro-adjustability. (Trade ya? )
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I tend to think carbon fiber seatposts are more about weight savings than ride quality. I do agree that some seatposts have clamps that are easier to adjust than others. Beyond that, just make sure you replace the seatpost with one with the right amount of offset for your preferred saddle position vis-a-vis the pedals. I, personally, need a lot of offset, so finding an approprite seatpost is hard.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I tend to think carbon fiber seatposts are more about weight savings than ride quality.
    They do actually make a difference. When I built up my rain bike I ordered a carbon seat post that took a while to come in. While I was waiting for it I had a aluminum one and the ride on that was definitely more harsh. The carbon post smoothed out the buzzies and the bumps a lot.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I will try switching them out. I actually think I prefer my old seat too. Now I need to figure out what micro adjust means
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

AKA "infinitely adjustable," unlike the splined ones, which have basically two or three usable tilts and nothing in between unless you shim them.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    They do actually make a difference. When I built up my rain bike I ordered a carbon seat post that took a while to come in. While I was waiting for it I had a aluminum one and the ride on that was definitely more harsh. The carbon post smoothed out the buzzies and the bumps a lot.
    Good to know. Thanks.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

IMO, yes, it does matter. I won't use anything that's not a 2-bolt micro adjust seatpost. (Ok, I exaggerate slightly....but not by much ) Two bolts make adjusting tilt/pitch much easier, and I'm willing to trade off saddle swapping ease for pitch adjustment.

For aluminum, I like Thomson. For carbon, Easton is my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    They do actually make a difference.
    +1.
    But, remember that in theory - to be able to absorb vibrations effectively, the carbon shaft must be free, not inside the seat tube. So it does really make a difference whether your setup allows only a handful of seatpost to show, or several inches of seatpost are visible atop of the seat tube (greater vibration dampening effect)...
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

I rode on my carbon seatpost today. Too lazy to really get a good idea if it mattered b/c I left my favorite saddle on there. I definitely notice an improvement in vibrations but I would really need to test apples to apples with the favorite saddle and both seat posts!
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV