Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Buying bike from Performance online?

I'm probably going to buy a beach cruiser bike from Performance online this weekend -- it's on sale and I have a $50 coupon as well. They don't carry this model in their shops, so my only option is to order online. If I have it delivered to the shop (I'm just a few miles away), will they assemble it for me without charging extra? Just wondering. I can certainly ask them but wondered if anyone has been there, done that.

Thanks!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I can't think of anything good to say about this either.
    I hope you already have a really good relationship with your LBS.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Yes, they will assemble it without charging you extra.

And unlike your local shop, if for whatever reason at any point you don't like it, you can return the bike.

It's a beach cruiser for christ sake, who needs a relationship with their local bike shop for a beach cruiser?

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    And unlike your local shop, if for whatever reason at any point you don't like it, you can return the bike.
    A friend of mine returned his bike to Performance after graduating college and moving across country. He needed the money....they took it back, no hassles.
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    Yes, they will assemble it without charging you extra.

It's a beach cruiser for christ sake, who needs a relationship with their local bike shop for a beach cruiser?
    Thank you for your support, Cataboo. I know a lot of folks on here are very down on Performance, but the mail order business is a bit different from their actual shops, where we've been pleased with the service we've received in the past. Since we live just a few miles from the Chapel Hill Performance, it actually *is* our LBS. Is there a rule against an LBS being a chain store? Very few LBSs carry beach cruisers in stock unless you live at the coast, so I have had a devil of a time trying to find one that meets my specifications (aluminum frame, women's model, 3-speed hub). I did email a local Trek shop about a Trek Womens' beach cruiser and never received an reply, so I don't feel inclined to give them my business.

My current steed is a Bike Friday, which I purchased direct from BF as most of them are sold that way, and my DH and I do all the maintenance on them. We buy most parts/accessories from Performance b/c it happens to be the most convenient and closest shop physically to us.

Anyway, I stopped in today and asked, and they will assemble the bike. I also asked them about keeping the box since we'll eventually be shipping it, and they said "no problem".
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I know nothing about performance bike, can you show us what one you're looking at?
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

I don't trust em.

I have been burned SOOOO many times by Performance/Nashbar (same company) by them charging my credit card more than what is on the online receipt, that I will not work with them. If you trust them and your LBS is honorable, go for it. I am all about cheaper, if it is. I caught them ripping me after I had made 22 purchases over a 3 month period. 19 of these charges were overages. Most by a dollar or two, but one was over $10. My credit card company corrected the overages when they saw the receipts. I took performance to the BBB to just get them to admit what they were doing as I got ZERO response from Sue, director of customer service. Eventually Sue did respond and she even sent a gift card for the overages. I used it with a coupon and NO CREDIT CARD and that was my last transaction with them. Just be careful, check your receipt, and use a one time use credit card number. Enjoy the cruiser!
    "Do or do not. There is no "try." Yoda

That bike is very cool looking!
    Hey, you could be on HGTV International House Hunters!
    When are you planning on moving permanently? I'm still hoping to do that trip to NC that I had to cancel a couple of years ago.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

how fun! I love HHinternational Like to live vicariously through people like you on that show!
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

OMG Emily those are some gorgeous pics! I totally see the need for the beach cruiser. Not that anyone has to 'justify' buying a bike around me. I love the Schwinn! I agree the red is hot but the pink is really cute too. Enjoy the new bike. Preinstalled margarita holder, how cool is that!