Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pain.. riding..

To disable ads, please log-in.

I missed this thread earlier, so I just read the whole thing, and it makes a really nice story to read all at once. I frowned at your troubles in the first post, but I was smiling at the last post.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Roadtrip, you are doing really well.

and the good news is, the more rides you get under your belt, even short rides... the more you will begin to be able to tell what the little problems are.

Just like you noticed how your saddle suddenly felt too low, and you figured out that little problem. The more you ride the more you will sense where the problems are coming from. you may not be able to fix them all yourself, but you will start to have a sense of where the problem is so others can help you fix it.

So great that you are ENJOYING your bike!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad you got it sorted. And wow ... I don't think I've ever, ever met a headwind that I would describe as "fun." You must have gone and done it!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I don't think I've ever, ever met a headwind that I would describe as "fun."
    Fun = Challenge (OK OK.. so perhaps a little warped that way.. LOL)

Was part of the reason I stopped at 4 miles... I didn't want to face that wind again
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

[QUOTE=Roadtrip;537424]Just got back from a ride... It's official.. I am a *&%$ idiot.

...not a *&% idiot...my saddle was squeaking the other day and I have a little itty bitty bag under the seat, I took it off so it wouldn't get any spray on it (so that means I was looking at the saddle pretty good) and sprayed some WD-40 on the springs. Day later the dang thing was still squeaking. One of the springs had come loose and down about an inch and a half and the saddle was off kilter by about 25%. Now you would think I might have noticed that? DUH. Some times we are so busy for looking for something big we fail to notice something under our noses...well at least I do that.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

OK. It "sorta" happened again, but this time I was paying attention. About half way through Fridays ride, I noticed when worked the pedals a with a little more speed I tended to get wobbly, my arms started to hurt, so after I got off the bike it was noticeable that the seat was much lower then it was when we started. The seat was FINE before we started and I hit not a single bump or anything, nor did I notice the seat actually go down so it must have been a gradual slip. I took the bike into the LBS today and they cleaned and re-lubed the post with a lubricant with a bit of abrasive in it. The quick release was as tight as I could manage to get it, but he said he tighten it as well, so I HOPE this fixes things.

While I was there, I did mention the rear break and it seemed a little mushy and perhaps needed adjusting, the tech said he did notice some rubbing and was about to check it out. Then I notice them (slow day at the bike shop.. you walk in and within five minutes two techs are working on your bike, but makes one feel good) taking both the front and rear tires completely off the bike and over to the truing stand and I can SEE that as he spins the wheel the tire is out of true. I ask if it's indeed out of true and says yes, just a bit.

Now I have only 25 miles on this bike and perhaps another 20-25 miles on it while in the trainer, but I really HOPE this isn't something to worry about. Now I know I'm a larger gal and am 200+ pounds, but this is a cruiser bike with 26", 32 spoke wheels, so this is just befuddling me. Is this "normal" for a new bike to have a period of settling in and adjustment like this or is this due to flimsy, shotty wheels for a larger rider?

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

headwinds are your friend, they make your butt smaller and provide unexpected resistance training. Learn to love them and crank into a harder gear to build muscle. If you fight them mentally, they will defeat you, go with the flow, and learn to ride into them and enjoy them.

Of course here in the flatlands of Katy, texas, I usually have head winds in any direction I am riding in. I have ridden one mile square loops and had a head wind on each leg. No it doesn't make sense but there it is, it is the giant invisible cosmic fan that floats just ahead of me.

glad yur riding is going better. Gotta love those "duh" moments.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."