Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How much does your bike weigh?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Couldn't find a thread with that subject so I figured I'd start one. Just curious. According to what I can find online my bike weighs 42 pounds. I got on my scale and picked up my bike and the scale added about 39 pounds, it was kind of hard to get the little weight gizmo to balance correctly for the correct weight because I had to keep lifing my bike up and putting it down to move the indicator on the weight beam. (it's the kind of scale you used to find in a Dr. office)

Anyway I'm not sure how accurate it is with the bike swaying around a bit, I am certain that the scale is accurate and is calibrated because I put stuff with known weight on it and it's right on. For example a 10# dumbell weighs in at #10 exactly.

So in the end, I am going to claim my bike weighs 39 pounds.

Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

My FS mountain bike weighs 38 lbs. It was 39.5 prior to changing the tires... Haven't weighed the road bike.
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles

I am not a weight weenie so I honestly don't care, but I think the LBS has a scale. My mountain bike is probably about 27-28 and my roadie around 20-21 maybe. I get the benefit of having tiny frames (47 cm road, 15.5 inch mountain) which sheds some weight. I could benefit most though by lightening up my weight.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpony View Post
    My FS mountain bike weighs 38 lbs. It was 39.5 prior to changing the tires... Haven't weighed the road bike.
    Did you have the shop weigh your bike? I got the weight of mine based on the Bicycling review of the previous year model and then probably a pound or two more for pedals. I can't imagine it weighs 10 lbs less than yours when component for component they were pretty equal when I was shopping!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

My road bike is listed as something like 16.7 lbs without pedals, but once you put on pedals, bike pump, saddle wedge and water bottles full of water, it's quite a bit heavier. I've never bothered to weigh it loaded up because for as long as I've been riding, the biggest weight factor is the extra fat on my rear end anyway!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

My trek 1000wsd 48cm (aluminum with carbon fork) is about 20lbs.

My navigator is way more!
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

my mtb weighs about 29lbs but my roadie....purrrrr is 14lbs!

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikerChk View Post
    my mtb weighs about 29lbs but my roadie....purrrrr is 14lbs!
    Wow! What is it? I seem to remember via search you had a Madone which was totalled due to a crash that was not your fault. Was that you? Did you get a replacement?
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

My one road bike is 16 lbs (compact double), the other is 18 lbs (triple). My mountain bike is 21 lbs (hardtail), and my surly is 25 lbs.

My road bike is 17, with everything on it, 20. I'm working on getting new wheels to replace my current dead weights. My husband's bike is 13.7 though! It's the bike he's looking to sell as well. He's having a custom Ti frame made for him that will be around 14 pounds as well.
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

I believe my SuperSix is about 15.8. I'm a total weight weenie and used to know exactly, but it's been a while. I know it's under 16 with pedals, but no bike bag or bottles. It's a 54 frame, so if I were shorter, my bike would weigh even less.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

I have a 47cm carbon that weighs about 14 lbs. It feels lighter than my purse when I pick it up.
    Last edited by Bliss; 09-25-2010 at 04:10 AM. Reason: punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by warneral View Post
    Wow! What is it? I seem to remember via search you had a Madone which was totalled due to a crash that was not your fault. Was that you? Did you get a replacement?
    yep! I replaced it with the exact same thing - different color!

and to be fair, like Bliss it is also a 47

My Luna is about 18 with pedals, cages and bag; the QR is closer to 20 and the Salsa with rack and panniers is about 35.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

My 44cm Ruby weighs 16.2 lbs with pedals and bottle cages (compact double). I guess I could shave a lb with lighter wheels (serious $$) and brakes (has 7700 dura-Ace, not light but good feel).

The commuter I ride to work, a Fuji Newest 3 (XS) frame with my parts (compact double) and rear rack weighs 27.6 lbs (without the trunk bag).

I've got two mtbs, a Giant Anthem-W (S) with a lot of upgraded parts, 27.5 lbs with bottle cages and pedals and my S-Works Safire (S) weighs 25.8 with cages and pedals. It would weigh less but I prefer tires with meat on them over the weight weenie 'Furious Fred' types. This is one place where performance in the rough trumps 200 grams each.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL