Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Simple wound healing....

To disable ads, please log-in.

Our insurance is really bad this year - so am really resisting going to the doctor for something so simple.

So I have two places on my lower calf - both from chain-ring bites. Basically the first few layers skin was sliced - probably sounds worse than it is. I typically like to leave such wounds open to heal - but they aren't healing and the skin around the wounds are dry. No signs of infection - just no skin growing back over the wound and the scab fell off. Ok, so it had a little help with that but it wasn't much.

IS it better to leave it open at this point? Should I do something different than a band-aid and antibiotic cream? Is this a really silly question? I have pretty much ignored such things over the years, but as it is over two weeks old I am wondering if I should do something different.

"Wounds heal faster and with less scarring if they are kept slightly moist with with an antibiotic ointment or with a dressing that holds in the body's moisture." p. 39 Backcountry First Aid.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Agree - covering it and using an antibiotic helps it to heal from the inside out. I had a great bandage once for a terrible road rash -- it was one that you kept on for 5-7 days and it made a protective bubble around the would that was moist with antibiotic. I took that bandage off after a week and the healing was amazing. I was trying t find the brand online, but can't locate it.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

The band-aid/compeed blister pads work really well for me.. I had a blister on my ankle recently from a new pair of ice skates and after dealing with it for a couple of weeks with no improvement, I finally tried those and it healed within 4 or 5 days.
    '08 Felt FW40 w/ Brooks b68's'
    '77 Takara Mixte (errand bike) w/ Brooks b68's'

Measure your sitbones! Mine: 6 5/8" (168mm)

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Yes, moist and covered is the way to go. If a wound gets too dry, it won't heal as well (as you seem to have found out). Maybe you could clean it, apply some Neosporin, and then something like one of those waterproof Nexcare bandaids (if you can find one big enough...otherwise you could use a nonstick pad over the wound, with a Tegaderm over that to keep it in place and protect it).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Periodic soaks in very warm saline solution can also help.

Thanks - I felt kind of silly about such a basic question but nothing seems to be working...and I don't want to risk infection. I also have diabetes (2), and while it is quite mild I want to be more careful about such things. All of my other bike related bites have healed well - and several were worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla View Post
    Periodic soaks in very warm saline solution can also help.
    I agree with this. I can't believe how much faster my wounds heal when I do a salt and baking soda bath.

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I agree with this. I can't believe how much faster my wounds heal when I do a salt and baking soda bath.
    I will do this - while the rate of new wounds to miles on the bike is finally decreasing, I still get at least one new one a week. Perhaps I should just make this part of my weekend routine

I could also consider this an incentive to finally moving to clipless pedals - as these days most of the wounds are from the BMX pedals walloping me....

a couple of years ago I wiped out when I went over the handlebar when I hit a nasty pothole. The back pack strap rubbed a couple of layers of skin off on my chest under the collarbone. I really didn't want a scar there (and I scar very easily).

I babied it like nothing else with tea tree oil to prevent infection, slathered on pure shea butter, then kept it under sterile gauze until it wasn't scabby anymore (about 10 days). It was much more comfortable without my skin shrinking, and in the end it didn't leave a scar.

When I was nursing, I used Lancinot (pure lanolin) often, and have continued using it even though my nursing days are well behind me. I prefer it to using topical antibiotics. Keeps the area nice and more, and apparently helps your cells regenerate faster. I am insanely allergic to goats. I was a little worried lamb products would bother me, but I haven't had a problem.

I'm a big fan of neosporin and then of that green stuff from Burt's Bees.

My granny had some really nasty goop that she smeared on us for just about anything. I know how we said it, but have no idea how it is/was spelled.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

The Neosporin doesn't seem to be working - though it isn't getting worse and there are no signs of infection. I guess I will talk with the pharmacist to see if they know what the bandage is that tctrek mentioned. It has been almost 3 weeks - and it isn't a very large place at all - but all of the skin came off (chain ring bite).

Am starting to think that my chain ring is a vampire...

Garlic.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Garlic.
    hmmmmmmm, I could hang a tiny clove between the chain ring and the BMX pedal that is always drawing blood