Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Brake rubbing rim

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just noticed that one side of my rear brake is making full contact on the rim - is there a way that I can fix this? I am willing to try, though can take it to my LBS if needed - I am hoping this is a quick fix....

Ideas on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

The brakes are cantis.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-12-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Never mind - after doing some reading about how to do this - I am going to swing by my LBS. It looks like there several things there that I don't yet understand and I don't want to mess up my brakes....

Do you mean one side of the brake is "on" even when you are not squeezing the lever?

See the straddle cable that runs from one canti to the other? There is a curved guide/clip/thingummy on the end of the brake cable that should be centered on that straddle cable. If it got nudged off center, one canti will be pulled toward the rim even when the tension is off the lever. No biggie. Happens all the time. Either squeeze the brake lever real hard to center it, or nudge it back with your fingers.

Don't do this while moving, obviously.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Do you mean one side of the brake is "on" even when you are not squeezing the lever?

See the straddle cable that runs from one canti to the other? There is a curved guide/clip/thingummy on the end of the brake cable that should be centered on that straddle cable. If it got nudged off center, one canti will be pulled toward the rim even when the tension is off the lever. No biggie. Happens all the time. Either squeeze the brake lever real hard to center it, or nudge it back with your fingers.

Don't do this while moving, obviously.
    Yes, one side seemed closed on the rim. I released cantilevers in rear and rear wheel quick release. Made sure wheel was snug and reattached brake. It looks better now. Wasn't sure if this was a big deal or not so thanks for the tip. Sheldon's page had scared me away

I've always been scared of messing with my brakes. But I've gotten more comfortable with all the other bits of my bike, and now that I'm 90 miles away from the nearest bike shop, I am trying to be more self sufficient and brave.

However if you have a bike shop to indulge you, brakes and cables are things I'd recommend you let them indulge you on.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

The brakes seem fine now, thought it looks like one is still a little closer to the rim than the other - and the wheel seems centered fine. My ride last night was fine, and the brakes felt/acted normally.

Just in case I am going to swing by my LBS tomorrow and have them take a quick look at it - and ask them to show me what to do should this happen again.

I don't know what brand brakes you have, but usually with cantilevers, there is a spring adjustment screw on each arm that controls the spring. It is usually just behind/below the body of the brake arm, a little phillips head bolt (or 2mm or 3mm allen bolt). If you want to move a pad away from the rim (and you are sure the wheel is seated propertly), tighten that screw on said brake arm, or, conversely, loosen the screw on the opposite one. this is a super easy adjustment and just a damn shame if you have to pay a bike shop to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lunacycles View Post
    I don't know what brand brakes you have, but usually with cantilevers, there is a spring adjustment screw on each arm that controls the spring. It is usually just behind/below the body of the brake arm, a little phillips head bolt (or 2mm or 3mm allen bolt). If you want to move a pad away from the rim (and you are sure the wheel is seated propertly), tighten that screw on said brake arm, or, conversely, loosen the screw on the opposite one. this is a super easy adjustment and just a damn shame if you have to pay a bike shop to do it.
    Oh I understand this - I just want to see it done before I do it. I have managed to get things pretty much right though, without touching any tools and am pretty sure it is ok. It is just for peace of mind as I am hitting real hills for the first time this weekend.

They won't charge me much at all, and the peace of mind is worth it. Then, should this happen again, I will be confident that I know how to fix it

My brakes were rubbing on one side too. I adjusted them easily with the screws mentioned above. It's an easy fix. I do have a big bike maintenance book I always refer to when I need to work on one of my bikes so, that helps a lot.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Trek-chick View Post
    My brakes were rubbing on one side too. I adjusted them easily with the screws mentioned above. It's an easy fix. I do have a big bike maintenance book I always refer to when I need to work on one of my bikes so, that helps a lot.
    I need to get one of these - I have never been what one might consider mechanically inclined...but I need to get over that.

I swung by my LBS after work today - I took my bike to work in my trunk. The mechanic looked at it and said it was fine - and then he showed me what to do if it happens again. Apparently what I did the other day fixed it anyway.

So now I know my brakes are fine - and they did not charge me a dime. That was nice - but of course everything took no more than 5 minutes. It was basically just for my peace of mind anyway.