Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: HotHotHot

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just can't get used to this heat. i also think I'm getting dehydrated which is why I feel so sluggish.
    i rode my bike to do errands in town today. At the service counter of a city office I stood fanning myself. I must have looked truly miserable; the lady who was assisting me turned her personal fan around so i could cool off
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Here I was thinking it was awfully nice that it cooled down today - drink more water.

Powerade

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    Oh my, are we related? Raised in the burgh, house really did keep us a bit cooler than any other place I've ever lived - thank heaven for those old brick houses. We never had AC and my father "didn't believe in fans", which I really never quite understood. Good lordy some of those hazy/hot/humid days could be unbearable!
    That's too much---anti-fan must be a burgh thing! You're right on about the hazy/hot/humid days and nights.

We lived in the burbs (Murrysville), in one of those upper-middle class type neighborhoods built in late 60s/70s. The homes weren't as well constructed as the older homes "in town," unfortunately. In addition, there wasn't much shade because there were no established big trees---everyone had those ornamental flower cherry and dogwoods.

My parents were born in the '20s, so they grew up in the depression (big families, not much $). I think this is why my dad was such a cheapskate.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I just can't get used to this heat. i also think I'm getting dehydrated which is why I feel so sluggish.
    i rode my bike to do errands in town today. At the service counter of a city office I stood fanning myself. I must have looked truly miserable; the lady who was assisting me turned her personal fan around so i could cool off
    It was pretty humid yesterday, so it's no surprise that you had the vapors, Zen. I noticed that it's been hotter up in your town than it has in DC and Arlington.

Rain today. Very temporary relief. At least it's supposed to cut the humidity but temps tomorrow are going back up to 90.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

A friend is visiting from the mountains of Idaho - last week I took her up Maryland Heights, the short hike that overlooks Harper's Ferry. I only had 3 liters of water in my pack, figuring you know - it's a 5 mile hike, that's more than enough for 2 people - but I stopped drinking myself after I saw how much she was sweating:

She's still asking how we breath and live in this humidity.

i did take her to the river to cool off afterwards:

Nice photos, Cat. This has been one hot/humid summer. If I'm not mistaken, we're going to be very close to 100 on Friday (heat index has already been above that).

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

I was supposed to work at the dog park this weekend, something I had been looking forward to.

Last night I sent an email pleading to change this to an in-store demo

No one with any sense is bring their dogs out to run around in this heat

Forget about being out there after 9-10am. It's unhealthy! I had a nice ride this morning, but made sure we were back home by 10am. It's not worth the risk of dehydration or worse.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

DH broke down and when I got home, he had the AC on.

I'm not complaining.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm staying in today. I was supposed to do a bike/run brick but after not sleeping well all week I couldn't get myself out of bed at 5:30 to do this, and by the time I got up at 8:00 it was too hot to get started. I figure the stress on my body would negate any training benefit I got. Even the short ride I did yesterday afternoon was pretty bad--it amazes me how much harder you have to work to do anything in the heat.

Sarah

My garden desperately needs work and I just don't want to be out in it.

Supposed to cool off tomorrow. Just hope for no lightning at my tri...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I rode 32 miles or so before dawn this morning. It was 86 degrees, for crying out loud. Swimming afterward was great ---the pool water was 84 degrees but it felt cold (indoor pool)!

Husband ran about 10 miles at Hains Point, starting just after sunrise. He said the wind was like a heat blaster.

sfa -- Riding yesterday afternoon must have been a sweat fest and the sun just makes it worse! I don't blame you for not getting out today---rest up! Hopefully, next week will be a bit cooler.

The dogs have been feasting on ice cubes--they seem to enjoy them more than dog cookies! Maybe Margot actually will lose weight after all.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

I put a wet sweatshirt on G-Dog. She's none too happy about it but I thought it might help.

Last edited by Zen; 07-24-2010 at 12:51 PM.

I rode 37 miles today, did the Waterford, VA loop then took some side roads, started at 8am and finished around noon. At the intersection of Loyalty and Taylorstown Rd. in Lovettsville I just had to challenge the STEEP hill, not once but twice. It was brutal in the sun but I stayed hydrated. Gotta love those hills.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent