Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Chain Lifespan

Hybrid View

Chain Lifespan

I think I may sort of already know the answer to this question, but I want to ask it anyway. My original chain (Ultegra I think) made it to 3,000 miles. I just had it replaced again today and the second chain only made it 1,350 miles. Does this seem reasonable?

I kind of think it makes sense, because the cogs and chainrings are undoubtedly wearing down and the second chain probably wore out faster because of this. I ride hilly terrain so I do tons of shifting and use nearly all of my gears. But I'm really good about cleaning and lubing things...I may even be a little OCD about it. So I would guess that the next time I need a new chain, I'm also going to need a new cassette and chainrings. But I hope this chain lasts at least 1,000 miles. Or do I need to start shopping for a deal on a new cassette & chainrings now?

You'll probably get 1000 miles out of the latest chain, but they do wear faster on a worn cassette. Do plan to replace your cassette the next time you change the chain, though you can try a new chain and see if it skips on your old cassette. You shouldn't need to replace the chainrings, they last much longer than a cassette, typically.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

according to this http://blackmountaincycles.blogspot....hain-care.html a properly cared for chain will last longer and if you replace the chain when it needs to be replaced the cassette can last a very long time.

I have been trying the progold chain lube he mentions but it has only been a month i clean my chain after every ride and lube it every few rides and wipe off the excess. i hope it works for me.

Chain Lifespan

I tend to change the chain at no more than 1500 miles, whcih obviously means that it gets changed quite often. The upside to this is that generally I only change the cassette every second or third time. While I spend more money on chains, it also means that money is spent less frequently on the cassettes and in the long run... I save money considering that most cassettes are more money than chains.

OK, so I think I'll start looking for a cassette...I have a family member who works for a bike manufacturer and sometimes he can get me deals on parts. I like to support my LBS as much as possible but it's nice to get discounts on parts sometimes. And I'll lube this new chain every time I ride in the hopes that it makes it past 1,000.

I guess my other option for extending the life of all these parts would be to ride less. But that's not a good option at all!!!!

IME chain life varies a lot depending on riding conditions, no matter how good care you take of them. I'm pretty sure a 30-mile day in fine Florida sand and salt air is going to take more out of a chain than a 200-mile overnighter on clean Ohio roads.

So I wouldn't ever replace a chain based on mileage. Measuring the wear is easy. One of those tools makes it even easier, but a ruler only takes a few seconds longer.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler