Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ten Mile Paddle

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post

Theoretically
    being the operative word in that sentence.

You've seen my biceps & lack of arm muscles - putting rotation in does relieve the arms.

I'm also capable of riding a bike with no defined leg muscles.

I tend to wobble when i use the rotation method.

At least I know now that knees go under the little pads on the side.

Practice this Friday , 10 AM, come on!
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I did 11 miles one way on the Buffalo National River. The water was high, and I thought it would be faster, but I had to paddle hard the last two hours to get out by a decent hour (in time to shuttle and get supper ready for the crowd).

Your boat has pads? If they're not for the knees, what are they for?

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

You put your knees under them to stabilize your body thereby enabling you to use more of your core for power instead of just arms.

That's in theory, anyway.

Thumbs up

Zen, thank you for reminding me that I need to get the kayak rack on my car this weekend. I've been wanting to paddle...and seeing your photos brought it all home again.

Loved the photo of the tree roots (what kind of tree is that?) and the turtle, especially.

I only engage my core when I need to really move the boat, anyway (getting out of the way of 12 year olds in canoes, for one). There is a reason they call it "floating the Buffalo". It's relaxed and easy going. That's why I like it.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by Kubla View Post

(what kind of tree is that?)
    Thanks.
    my best guess on the tree is Sycamore.

Thanks Zen...DBF was looking over my shoulder and enjoyed your paddling photos as well.

Ever since he bought a motor boat a few years ago, I have to kayak alone. The "real" boat is fun, but it takes up far too much time and money-at the exclusion of other activities that we enjoy.

I tend to wobble when i use the rotation method.

At least I know now that knees go under the little pads on the side.

Practice this Friday , 10 AM, come on!

If you practice, the wobble goes away.

I wedge myself in so my feet are against the foot pegs, knees are pressed to the side of the boat underneath the knee/thigh pads.

Gives great control of the boat, you wiggle your hips, the boat moves with you - if you want to turn a specific way, lift up the knee on that side, tilting the boat the opposite way and your boat will turn towards the high side out of the water.

I'm doing a potomac river camper trip this weekend, so I can't go practice with you - Leaving Colonial beach Friday morning. Camping at 2 spots along the way. Taking out at point Lookout park. 20 miles a day of paddling, roughly.

I am wanting to enter a photo contest.
    Which category would the tree fit in?
    "Photos will be judged in six categories: birds, wildlife, insects, scenic, floral and outdoor recreation."

It's not scenic and it's not a flower but it is botanical.
    Superbe pictures! I think the tree should go in floral.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    I'm doing a potomac river camper trip this weekend, so I can't go practice with you - Leaving Colonial beach Friday morning. Camping at 2 spots along the way. Taking out at point Lookout park. 20 miles a day of paddling, roughly.
    It's been a long-term dream/idea of mine to paddle from DC to the Northern Neck--down the Potomac and around to the mouth of the Rappahanock and then into Carter's Creek.

Catriona, do you think that's doable? How long would you give it? Want to do it with me sometime?

Zen, your photos are lovely! That tree photo should definitely go into a photo contest. I agree, it looks like a sycamore.

Tulip, it's doable and I'd do it with you. There's enough civilization stops along the way,that you don't have to bring too much water and/or food.

The group I'm going with is a group that has basically been doing that - but they've broken it up into 1 weekend trip a month to make the logistics easier for everyone taking off work. I think this is their third stage - I can't remember what i was doing the last 2 months, but I think they were weekends I already had plans that I couldn't change.

I see three roadblocks to this plan.
    1)Tulip has no kayak.
    2)Catriona is always doing something. If I recall, we were supposed to do the Virginia Creeper last summer just sayin'.
    3) I wanna go!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Correction:

Tulip has no kayak, YET.

I'm thinking of this for next year, anyways. And since I've replaced every major system in my house over the past year, I'm confident there won't be any more surprises that will deplete my kayak fund. I mean, what other major systems are there in a house besides the plumbing (done!), the electrical (mostly done!), the kitchen (done!) the HVAC (done!), and the roof (done!)? Everything else is cosmetic and that Can. Just. Wait.

I see three roadblocks to this plan.
    1)Tulip has no kayak.
    2)Catriona is always doing something. If I recall, we were supposed to do the Virginia Creeper last summer just sayin'.
    3) I wanna go!

True. I am a horribly shitty friend that always has a ton of things going on - but I am always theoretically game for a trip! And I can always help tulip find a kayak - I helped you!

I was supposed to go do a hilly bike ride with Kmerzhad on Friday so we could get in shape for Bike Virginia, but then I remembered I had a kayaking weekend to go to - so instead i just made her a hillier bike route and a cue sheet.

Btw - the bridge over Black mills road going to Wilhide from Layman's is closed for construction - so if you're trying to avoid the hill on Hessong Bridge you can't - luckily I saw that yesterday otherwise I woulda sent Kmerzhad into a creek.