Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question about dress for gala

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm seeking advice for a male friend. Dress for a gala/fundraiser for a not-for-profit is described as "celebration festive."

I assume if they meant black tie, they'd say so. Anyone heard this term? Know what it means? I Googled and came up with nothing.

Of course, the event is tonight. I would say "typical male" to ask at the last minute but I don't say things like that.

Any chance to call the folks throwing the event and ask what they mean?

Summer weight suit, bright shirt, bold tie. Might even go out on a limb and suggest lighter suit colors.

I tried a search on "dress codes" and couldn't come up with anything easier. Love it when "they" invent new standards. Guess we're not part of the Social In Crowd. Otherwise we'd already know these things. Ask me something easy, like what to wear on a bike ride.
    Last edited by bmccasland; 06-08-2010 at 09:36 AM.
    Beth

A pointy party hat? Hawaiian shirt?
    WTH?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

He's settled on a business suit with a rather festive (I think vintage) tie.

I asked a couple of people and no one had heard of "celebration festive." If I were going, I would indeed call and ask.

I offered one of these but, to my disappointment, he didn't want it (and I was so proud of having something like that handy in a drawer).
    Last edited by PamNY; 06-08-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Turns out there was nothing special about the attire at this event. I guess someone felt like enlivening and ended up obfuscating.

He should of worn the pointy hat and whistle. That would have livened it up.