Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Topeak Road Morph Questions

To disable ads, please log-in.

I bumped the Frame Pump thread yesterday, but haven't had any bites yet. Being of a particularly impatient nature when I'm ready to buy toys, I thought I'd try again.

I want to get a new mini pump for my roadie. My old Wrench Force mini pretty much makes my arms fall off, while just barely getting a rideable amount of pressure in the tire. I tried CO2 one time, and it was a disaster, making me really glad I also had the mini. I'm not convinced that a good pump weighs enough more than an inflator and 2 cartridges to be worth risking being stranded.

I also have had trouble with the head of my pump turning a little, and catching on my crank arm, stopping my it from turning. Sort of alarming until you figure out what happened! Hopefully that is just due to the shape of the handle and the head, but it has me thinking

Here's my thinking: the reviews of the Road Morph are awesome. The weight of the Road Morph is not awesome. It sounds like it's worth it, though. I don't want the version with the gauge, because I'm going to pump until it feels about right, and figure I can save that little bit of extra weight. I have a floor pump, so this isn't going to be used for pre-ride inflation.

My questions are:
    1) Has anyone used the Mini Morph? It's a tad lighter (170g vs 202g, vs 220g for the model with the gauge, according to the Topeak site), and 2-3" shorter.
    2) Does the Mini Morph work well enough? Or is it too hard to get up to a road bike pressure (I pump to 110 prior to riding - wouldn't expect that much on a repair - would like at least 90, preferably in the 100 psi range). I want to be able to finish my ride without feeling like I'm limping home.
    3) Is the Road Morph just that much better than the Mini, that you'd never skimp there?
    4) What are the dimensions (on either one)? I don't trust the published dims, as they very from site to site. I'm mainly concerned about the width, as it's mounted. My concern is the problem with hitting my crank - is it secure enough that it can't flop, or turn so it sticks out the widest way?
    5) What about the diameter of the chamber (where it would be attached)? I'm hoping that I can use my current side-mount from my old pump, like Msincredible, since it looks like the Road Morph uses up a bottle location. Anybody know how the Mini mounts?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

I can't speak for the Mini, just the Road Morph with the gauge. If you don't get the gauge, I find it is about 1psi/pump stroke.

I have one on each bike. I have used them to pump up the tires without issue. The mini-foot rest and the T-able handle had me pumping to 100psi without issue (although, I will admit I make DH do the muscle work after I change the tire).

On one bike, I have a water bottle cage mount under the top tube (yep, top tube--it is strictly for the purpose of holding my road morph). I have the other mounted to the side of the down tube's water bottle cage (uses a Blackburn mount with a old inner tube shim). A single piece of velco is enough to keep them behaving.

I don't hit the pump under the top tube and, btw, I cannot tolerate a bento box since I hit it with my knees; I have plenty of clearance by the crank (note: I run a triple).

Dimensions: just under 14" in length. Most places it is 1" in width, but the valve head clamp is 1.5" wide. When I mount it on the down tube, I just rotate the valve head so that it is pointing to have the narrowest profile.

No experience with the "mini", but have 1 road Morph and 1 Road Morph G and they are terrific pumps. Wonderful, easy to use, efficient (for a portable pump). The Mini might be fine, it sounds like it has the same concept, with the foot pad and the flexible connector.
    I just carry my Morph in a bag, but it did come with a frame mount to which it could have been clipped. Since they are shorter than other frame mounted pumps I've seen, I'd assume you could put it on a couple of different places on the bike.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

I have both a Road Morph G and a Road MorphMini. The Mini does work, and can be counted on to get you up to 100 psi. It is a little slower than the full size Morph, and the hose is shorter so you do have to hold your bike up with the valve stem close to the ground while inflating. For those of us who are non-dancers, that is a little awkward. I got the Mini because I wanted to move my pump to my seat tube and the full size Road Morph wouldn't fit on my small frame. I did have an issue with the rubber gasket on the plunger of the Mini coming off. Very discouraging to have a pump fail on a ride. However, Topeak took it in and rehabbed it. It has not given me any problems since. My advice would be to get the full sized Road Morph. It's speed and relative ease of use more than make up for the slight weight penalty.

I carry my Road Morph G behind the seat tube. It just fits, and with fenders there's no danger of it hitting the wheel. It's a great pump. But that said, I just decided to go with a lighter pump and saved 4 oz by switching to a Topeak Pocket Rocket DX. Quite a bit more effort to pump with it, of course. But I'll still carry the Road Morph when I'm touring or as an only pump when away from the floor pump for a few days.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72