Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Parts "grade" on touring-style bikes

I'm starting my bike shopping and I'm looking for a more relaxed, light-touring oriented bike (as opposed to the more racy frame I have now). I'm also looking for a steel bike. I might still get a bike with STI but I'm open to experimenting and I'll try other systems.

I'm finding that most bikes I otherwise find interesting have Sora or Tiagra-level parts. I'm used to Ultegra and I really appreciate the responsiveness of it compared to other bikes with lower-grade parts I've ridden. I was thinking I'd want at least 105-equivalent parts on the new bike.

Any thoughts? Have you had Tiagra on your touring bike? Do you have suggestions for bikes that come - stock - with higher-grade parts?

Thanks!!

Friends don't let friends ride Tiagra.

Don't get anything less than 105.

I've got Ultegra level (some XTR) on my touring bike, but it was custom. You can order Surly frames only, stock frame and pick your own parts.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    I've got Ultegra level (some XTR) on my touring bike, but it was custom. You can order Surly frames only, stock frame and pick your own parts.
    Gunnar might be another frame-only option, depending on your budget. Anymore , I buy a frame and build it up myself, just so I can spec it exactly to my needs and preferences. I wouldn't buy something with Sora/Tiagra....

I upped to 105 on the Aurora
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Ok this confirms what I thought.

I'll look in Gunnar in Vancouver, have not seen them in stores around here yet.

Thanks!!