Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Kindle does let you share with another kindle. My sister does not have one. I think it is 10 days and while you are lending it, it is removed from your library.

Mine was bought for me as a gift and I would not have bought one for myself. I think if I had paid for it I would be trying to get my money's worth and using it like crazy.

I like the recycling part of used books. I only keep a select few books and pass the others on because I dont like clutter. That's why it works for me .

I have been a voracious reader all of my life. I got a Kindle for my last birthday. I think most of the pros and cons have been summed here pretty well, but I can recap:

PROS:

1. I love being able get a book anytime. If I finish my book, I can just go to Amazon and download a new one immediately.

2. I love that I can get a sample. I have tried a few samples that were just "meh" so I didn't buy the book.

3. Free books!!!!

4. Saves space and trees. I have many cartons of books stored in my garage because I don't, at the moment, have bookshelves. All of those books would fit on my Kindle!!

5. I love that I can bring so many books with me at one time. Then I can read whatever I want.

6. I tend to read thick books; the Kindle is much easier to hold. No more sore thumbs!!

7. I can browse for books wherever and whenever I want. I don't have to go to the bookstore.

CONS:

1. I do miss the feel of books. The experience of turning the pages. The mystery of approaching a new tome. All of those experiences are just not there, or are not the same with the Kindle.

2. I can't share books. I recently finished 3 books that I would have loved to share with my sister. Alas, she does not have a Kindle.

3. I find it a bit hard to flip around in a book. Sometimes I like to read favorite chapters over and over. Or, I have read a few that I just wanted to skip to the ending, but found it kind of difficult.

4. I don't have to go to the bookstore. I miss it. I know I still can, but I haven't been.

I just got a Kindle last Thursday and I'm on my 3rd book. I catch myself trying to reach up and turn the pages.

I'm loving it.
    Cycling is the new running.

Visit my blog: http://www.riverofmuscadinespublishing.com/

2 Kindle family here. I bought myself one for a trip to Australia and then my hubby started using it so much I had to buy him his own so that I could have mine back! I never dreamed I'd enjoy it but we love them! I read more and faster than I ever did. At first I thought maybe the books must be abridged I read so fast!!!

I saw something on TV today that would be great for carrying your ereader on your bike.
    http://www.skoobadesign.com/product/...rap-medium-23/
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

I'm deeply in love with reading on my iPod Touch. I never thought it would be so fabulous!
    http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ (I got mine at Costco for $180 or so.)

I've got the app "Free Books" (I think I paid $1 for it) which is all the classics and out-of-copyright stuff I've always wanted to read. I can read black-on-white during the daytime and white-on-black in bed in the dark. If I'm on a bumpy bus or if my eyes are tired, I can zip up the font size. I've read far more on the iPod than I've been able to read real books lately.

And the amazon.com/kindle app is free, so I can buy and read Kindle books when I get tired of the free books.

The iPod fits in my pocket, so I can take it everywhere. I've had it for about 6 months now, and I've dropped it and bumped it more times than I care to admit. No problem. I do take it on the bike, since it's in my pocket during my commute.

I thought I'd still have a desire for the Kindle or the Nook (or now the iPad), but the iPod Touch meets all my needs so well for reading/media/PDA/mobile internet, that really I'm actually... dare I say it?.... content.

ETA: There is a little eye in the top margin above the display rectangle of the iPod that reads the ambient light level and adjusts the backlight accordingly, within your preset preference. I find the adjustment for pitch-dark to be too bright for my eyes, which is why I read in bed white-on-black. YMMV.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-05-2010 at 06:11 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

The iPod is way too small for me to read on for any period of time - but FWIW, you can manually adjust the backlighting even when the auto adjustment is on.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    The iPod is way too small for me to read on for any period of time - but FWIW, you can manually adjust the backlighting even when the auto adjustment is on.
    I know, but I'm already at the lowest setting and if I drop one more the screen goes completely dark. Bummer, eh? The white-on-black took about 3 minutes to get used to, and now I can read on it just as easily as on the sepia or white screen. I loooooove being able to read in bed without a light on, and to fall asleep with the ipod in my hand and know it turns itself off safely. (yup, I've rolled over on it as well as dropped it and bumped it into large objects. it's still ok.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have a Nook... love it! When they were first introduced and not even shipping yet, I knew I had to have one. DH and I travel quite a bit and I'm a voracious reader. With all the relatively-new luggage weight limits for airplanes I can no longer pack as many books as I can read on a two week trip (especially if it's a cruise). Now I can download a slew of new titles and only have to carry the one device.

My best advice would be to do a little research to find out which screen you'll be able to tolerate reading on for a LONG period of time. I mean, keep in mind you typically read for a stretch of time so you need to be sure you don't experience eye-strain or headaches. Also, think about the availability of titles AND their cost.... and the ease of downloading them when you're not sitting in your own house with a ready supply of power and a steady internet connection. This comes into play when you're away on a trip and want to get yourself something new to read

Most of all, enjoy it!