Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

May/June weight loss challenge

The quest for fitness continues for me. Does it continue for you? Then sign on up for the next 2 months challenge and we'll be in this thing together.

I may be getting a temporary new job in June where I could possibly ride my bike to it, or at least get home earlier and ride more. Fingers crossed that his will be the 2-month challenge where I make a serious dent in the weight I need to lose.

So let me know here if you are game for this next challenge. We will weigh in for week 1 on or around Friday May 7th. You can give me a goal or not, whatever works for you! This is all to help you guys, so no worries - however it works for you, it works for me too!
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

I'm in this time. I need all the help I can get!

I'm up to (yikes) 149 lbs. Ultimate goal is 115-120, but for the 8 weeks, I'm going to set a goal of 12 lbs, which would put me at about 137.

I am in this time, it is so helpful to do this. My current goal is 135 pounds so let's make that my goal for this time. If I can just break (and stay under) that 143 barrier that I've been on for the last month!

However during that time I was working a LOT, now back to usual insane schedule and am planning on riding 3-4 days a week on top of my two spinning classes and 2 personal training appointments. If all of this doesn't get my weight down, then it certainly should be tightening what is there and adding/strengthening muscle and lose body fat at the same time.

I haven't been 135 in more years than I would care to admit - once there will need to consider what is best at that point

I kinda blew it on the current challenge. However, I want to keep at it. I'm 185 right now, but want to keep a goal of 180. 5 lbs... I can loose 5 lbs in 2 months, right?!
    ~ Tanis

Count me in. I have been stuck in a stall for a couple months now. I am getting smaller (I've lost pant sizes) but no weight. I am currently 146 with an ultimate goal of 120-125. My goal is to loose 8 lb in the next 8 weeks.

I also started the couch to 5K program last week, if anyone is interested in joining me. I am so not a runner, but I wanted something to do during the winter when I am not cycling.
    Last edited by abejita; 05-01-2010 at 04:54 PM.
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

Count me in again! Goal weight: 149

Thanks so much for keeping this going, Possegal. You rock!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

184 this am.
    ~ Tanis

147.5 -- down 1.5 lbs.

Oops, I forgot to update yesterday! 132 yesterday morning.

231.8... Apparently my old scale was "off" a little bit.
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

128 this AM. that means I'm up a pound!? Seriously? with all the extra physical activity Ive been doing the past 2 weeks? Hmm.
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

173.6 this morning.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I haven't been part of this group for some time now, but thought I would share a success story of losing that last under- ten -pounds that tends to stay on.

I have tried at different times to get my weight back into the 130's where I feel best, but have hovered in the low 140's for a couple of years. I think I wasn't really THAT motivated because I don't look that bad (in cothes ) at that weight so wasn't willing to do anything that was too much work. Plus, I always feel like I should be able to lose weight just because I know so well what I have to do; however, it wasn't happening. I was also avoiding the scales because I knew I wouldn't like what I saw.

When I finally got on the scale in Jan., I was horrified but not really surprised to see that I was at my all time highest non-pregnancy weight, so action was required. This is what worked:

1. Wrote down everything I ate and counted calories for the first 4 weeks . It is a pain, but every time I have lost significant weight, this is what I had to do. On line programs are great, but it is easier for me just to do it manually. I quit writing everything down after that, but kept on eating the same way. My calorie goal was 1200-1300 plus extra for exercise. I used the Cyclist's Guide to Nutrition to figure out what I needed for days I biked. Some days it was well over 2000 calories.

2. Did dramatically cut out junk food and refined carbs, but did not do a low carb, low fat or any other kind of "diet", just counted calories. I tended to eat 5 mini-meals throughout the day so I wouldn't get hungry.

3. Did an on-line weekly weigh in with my sister who was participating in a biggest loser contest at her company. We just happened to be at the same starting and goal weight.

And that is it. Didn't change my normal exercise, except I did start doing gentle yoga twice a week in January. I read recently that women who do yoga are more mindful about what they eat and tend to not gain weight, so maybe it helped. I did it to improve flexibility and ward off joint problems. In the winter I do one or two 45 minute cycling classes a week and work out on the elliptical for one or two sessions for a total of 4 cardio workouts. I also do strength training and/or yoga 2 - 3 times a week. As the weather improves, I substitute outdoor rides for the indoor cardio.

It came off SLOWLY. It has taken since late Jan. to lose 8 pounds. I know that doesn't sound like much to some of you, but believe, me, when you get down to those last 7 to 10 pounds, they absolutely do not want to budge! When the scale didn't move some weeks, I told myself that I was still healthier because I was eating better food and taking good care of my body and just continued on doing what I was doing.

Anyway, I weighed in at 136 this morning and am thrilled because all my clothes are loose now I hope my cycling improves some now that I have a little less weight to pedal up the hills!

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

148 lbs this morning - wrong direction again.

Possegal, my goal is 143lbs at the end of the challenge.

Thank you,

Martina
    Czech Chicks Rule !

132 again for me.