Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Question Eeeek! Scratched chainstay

Somehow one of the chainstays on my LHT appears to have been scratched. It is white though, which doesn't make much sense as I am sure they didn't paint the steel white before painting it blue! However it feels like a scratch in the paint. There are several of them, in a line. I've been so careful with this bike that I can't imagine how it happened, though I did leave it locked on my car this afternoon at my health club while at one of my regular training appointments before riding.

Is there something that I can do that will protect the paint/metal assuming that it is a scratch? For some reason I am thinking of clear fingernail polish...I would have to buy some but that would be a small price to pay if it would be protective.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Somehow one of the chainstays on my LHT appears to have been scratched. It is white though, which doesn't make much sense as I am sure they didn't paint the steel white before painting it blue! However it feels like a scratch in the paint. There are several of them, in a line. I've been so careful with this bike that I can't imagine how it happened, though I did leave it locked on my car this afternoon at my health club while at one of my regular training appointments before riding.

Is there something that I can do that will protect the paint/metal assuming that it is a scratch? For some reason I am thinking of clear fingernail polish...I would have to buy some but that would be a small price to pay if it would be protective.
    Clear fingernail polish will work well. I think most of us with steel bikes have used it at one time or another (ahem - like when my DH chipped the paint on my 520 when it was NEW while putting fenders on it).

Is it on the drive (chain) side? Could be that the chain rubbed while it was being assembled. You can get various "guards" for that side. Some like them, some don't. Some of the guards are sticker-like, and some are fabric wraps. Something to think about - particularly if you're just learning to shift a triple...
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Clear fingernail polish will work well. I think most of us with steel bikes have used it at one time or another (ahem - like when my DH chipped the paint on my 520 when it was NEW while putting fenders on it).

Is it on the drive (chain) side? Could be that the chain rubbed while it was being assembled. You can get various "guards" for that side. Some like them, some don't. Some of the guards are sticker-like, and some are fabric wraps. Something to think about - particularly if you're just learning to shift a triple...
    Oh good, I will pick some up tomorrow. I wasn't sure if my memory was correct about it being safe to use.

I WISH it were on the drive side, but no, it is on the outside... I am used to shifting a triple, my Trek has a triple. I wish that I could blame it on shifting

Thanks!

I just got a Trek 520 and have taken it on a few rides. Only had it 2 weeks but, already see stone chips on the chainstays. I know it's bound to happen but..... I did get some lizard skins chainstay guards (I think they are neoprene) to put on both stays. I usually only put one on the drivetrain side of my bikes but, since this one is steel, I want to protect it as much as I can.

I'm not too worried about it though because, I have a feeling that I will be powdercoating my frame down the road (many years from now). This bike will be with me forever. I just had a 22 year old steel Trek frame powdercoated recently and it looks brand new..... only set me back 100$ That is the beauty of steel

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post

The white stuff is probably primer under the paint. If it were me, I'd buy some blue nail polish or some automotive touch up paint, and a small artist's brush. Carefully paint on a tiny amount, and let dry. Repeat this about 3 times until you've built the paint back up to the original level using very thin layers.

This will hide the scratch, protect the frame, and by doing it in layers, you get a nice final finish. DH, painter of model trains, houses, and all things in between, taught me this trick.

Also, the clear Lizard Skins look and work great on the driveside chainstay.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    The white stuff is probably primer under the paint. If it were me, I'd buy some blue nail polish or some automotive touch up paint, and a small artist's brush. Carefully paint on a tiny amount, and let dry. Repeat this about 3 times until you've built the paint back up to the original level using very thin layers.

This will hide the scratch, protect the frame, and by doing it in layers, you get a nice final finish. DH, painter of model trains, houses, and all things in between, taught me this trick.

Also, the clear Lizard Skins look and work great on the driveside chainstay.
    This is a good idea, and I won't have to look at the scratches every time I put my bike on the rack. I will check out the Lizard Skins, had not heard of them before. Thanks!

The dark colors really show the scratches. My commuter is blue (and I bought it to be a real beater) and I just rode it to Pep Boys and matched it with a bottle of auto touch up. To apply, I use a wood toothpick to get it only inside the scratch; let it dry well, and then I put a small dab of clear on top with a small brush. It's hard to see unless you know where to look and get real close. Don't drink coffee before applying as you need a steady hand.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL