Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite tires

Favorite tires

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok gals, time to buy some new 700x23 treads.

What do you like/rely on to get you down the road? Why do you like it?

I'm thinking Conti Gatorskins or Conti Grand Prix 4000s but am open to suggestions!

It'd be nice if they're relatively easy to get on and off during the flat repair process. Nothing more frustrating than having a wrestling match on the side of road with your wheels.

I'm debating between nice riding tires and tires with less possibilities of flatting..
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

I'm currently riding Conti Grand Prix 4 season, which are nice riding tires that I really like. No flats so far (between 2-400 miles I'd guess). BUT, that no flats is a darn good thing because they are a MAJOR PITA to install (to the tune of 15-30minutes a TIRE in my living room to switch them to my new rims after riding them for a couple hundred miles).

I'll probably be trying something a bit more forgiving to get on and off next time around. Not sure if the standard Grand Prix (rather than the 4 season) have the same issue or not.

Depends on what you are looking for in a tyre...

I had Maxxis Xeniths in a 700x20 on my roadie. Not because I chose them, but because it came with them three years ago. They have given great service and had barely a puncture. But I am told that the new version is not the same and they are purely a race tyre now, so would not offer the same long term performance.

So I have recently replaced them with a set of Maxxis Re-Fuse in a 700x23. They are quite obviously not a race tyre. But they are ridiculously puncture resistant and for me that is a biggie. I also find myself caught out in the rain a bit, so being sure-footed in the rain is important to me. And they are.

My recently-acquired Scott came with Conti Ultra Sport. I would avoid them like the plague if I could. I think I had three punctures in the first four rides! I went out and bought some Maxxis Re-Fuse for it too. No more punctures. And they are easy to put on and off. And they are certainly quite affordable. Not quite the pedigree of the Contis but they are doing nicely so far.

DH has had Conti Ultra Gators and finds them quite puncture-resistant but as slippery as anything when it is wet underfoot (undertyre?). So I guess it depends what characteristics you are after in your tyres.

Favorite tires

I too, would definitely recommend Maxxis tires. I ride the Courchevals, but sometimes will use the Detonators for training tires. In the shop I sell a lot of both, but because of price the Detonators seem to rule. Much easier to change a flat with Maxxis versus some of the other brands.

I'm a big fan of Vittoria Diamantes in both the 23 and the 25. Easy enough to put on, very supple and plenty of grip. I have a set of Conty Ultra Races (25) on another bike and, while they're good, I'm not sure I'd buy them again.

IME, Continentals in general are a wicked pain in the butt to change/install.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    I'm a big fan of Vittoria Diamantes in both the 23 and the 25. Easy enough to put on, very supple and plenty of grip. I have a set of Conty Ultra Races (25) on another bike and, while they're good, I'm not sure I'd buy them again.

IME, Continentals in general are a wicked pain in the butt to change/install.
    DH and I both have Vittoria Diamantes and have been very pleased with them.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

For me, GP4000s ride a little nicer than the Gatorskins (which ride a little harsh for me). As I understand it (and I could be wrong), the GP4000s have the same kevlar band as the Gatorskins, but, unlike the Gatorskin, it does not extend up into the sidewall of the tire. Thus, if you kick up a lot of sharp stuff, the Gatorskin would be more flat protective. I've had good luck with the GP4000s.

Anothter tire I've ridden a bit is the Panaracer Duro. Getting it on the rims the first time is a real beast, but after that not so bad. They are a tough road tire and they ride somewhere in between the Gatorskin and the GP4000. I was running the Duros and DH the Gatorskins in Tucson in spring (where there is more glass and goatheads on the pavement than anywhere else). DH put glass through new Gatorskins; my Duros got cuts, but none of them did more than just nick the tread.

I really loved the speed of my Challenge Race tires, but I flatted almost weekly with them. Not worth the effort! Years ago, I used to ride Schwalbe Blizzards. They were cheap, but never flatted. I put them on my commuter at the beginning of winter after the Challenge tires had flatted so much, but they were an exhausting, slow ride. I ended up putting Micheline Pros on both my bikes. They're durable and fast, and come in nice colors.

I love the Conti grand prix 4000s but hate the price. Especially since I've been doing a lot of trainer riding, they wear out fast. I appreciate this thread because I am also looking for a new tire.

I'm happy with the Gatorskins. Tough to get on the wheel but no tougher than the Vittoria Open Corsos that I used to have. I've used the Kool Stop lever which solved the problem, and I recently got a VAR tire lever because it's smaller. But I have gotten very few flats with these tires so the special tool is mostly just a precaution.

I use Vredesteins from Performance on both my Jamis and my Scott bike. (the ones on the Jamis are Vredestein Fortezza SE Road Tire, the ones on the Scott are grey on the top which makes them very easy to see what's on them) I rarely get flats. I always check them after a ride or if by some chance I happen to encounter glass on the road. One sticker we call "goat heads get in your tires without you knowing it and will cause flats regardless of the brand.

I have tried other brands, including the Conti and found they were too hard to get off the rims. Even the guys riding with me had trouble and they are strong willed and have stronger hands than I do. I want tires I can change by myself as I often ride alone.

The Vredestein Fortezzas are on sale right now for $29.99 which is far less than the Contis. I can get about 4-5000 miles on these tires. If you look up Performance bikes and get to the tire you will find reviews by others as well.

Also, depending on how much pressure you have in your tires affects flats. I now run on about 100lbs each wheel.
    Nancy

I swear by the Conti Gatorskins. There is however 2 types of gatorskins..the cheaper ones which are a bear for me to change and the Folding ones. Yes, they are a little more expensive than the non folding, but the aggrevation it saves me is worth it. I too am looking at getting new tires, and was thinking of changing to the Gran Prix 4 seasons by Conti but didn't know what the difference was so thanks to MartianDestiny, I think I will stick to my reliable folding gartorskin tires. The GranPrix were more expensive than the folding so I assumed they actually might have more kevlar and more strength, but guess not. Thanks
    formerly known as shellyj

I have Schwalbe Stelvios on my bike right now. I confess that I bought them for the color, but I like them a whole lot. They aren't flat-prone, and they are very plush and grippy on the road. They are also nice and easy to get on/off the rims.

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    I love the Conti grand prix 4000s but hate the price. Especially since I've been doing a lot of trainer riding, they wear out fast. I appreciate this thread because I am also looking for a new tire.
    +1 on the Conti GP 4000s. I first bought them after tiring of rear-wheel flats. I am on my 2nd set now - replaced because the 1st set finally wore thin, but they never had a flat. I also feel much more confident in the rain, going over gravel.... in the Conti's than I ever did with the stock Bontragers that came with the bike.

Kermit - for the trainer, I bought a cheap 2nd-hand wheel that had the same derailleur on it as my regular wheel, put one of the crappy old Bontrager slicks on, and just swap out wheels - rather than ruining my Conti's or dealing with changing tires - when I use the trainer.

Thanks, I have actually resolved the trainer issue, between the weather clearing up and also having a second bike for the trainer. I am looking at vittoria rubino pro 3's (good reviews) and they come in red. hhhmmmmm???????