Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

What really matters is the weather & road conditions. Whether it's 5 miles or 25 miles in the rain, I'll have to clean my chain. By "clean" I mean, I lube each link and run the chain through a rag for a long time. Theoretically that is "until the chain runs through the rag cleanly" but in reality it is "until I'm tired of turning the pedal by hand".

I was very proud when I got my new cassette because the mechanic said my diligent chain-cleaning really prolonged the life of the old cassette (4500 miles). He said some people come in after 1000 miles and their cassette is already trashed. Ultimately what matters is how smoothly the chain goes onto different cogs, and whether it is wearing down your cassette.

For those of us who want to be sure our chains are exceptionally clean Sheldon Brown provides clear instructions

Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    For those of us who want to be sure our chains are exceptionally clean Sheldon Brown provides clear instructions
    Thanks for the reminder of his page - I was very, very new the first time I saw that and I wasn't sure quite what to think

Now that's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    I dropped in to see if anybody had put in the Sheldon Brown link yet!

(That's one of those--read all the way through before beginning kind of things!)
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17