Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

!@#$@#^$ Achilles tendon(s)

They'd been doing so well....

Between foot strengthening and stretching, rolling out my calves and the soles of my feet, lowering my seat height 3 mm, etc., my Achilles were doing really, really well.

Then we went for a long motorcycle ride on Tuesday and ever since then I've hardly been able to walk. ... five weeks to go until my marathon.

I just don't know what to do.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I can empathize. A couple years ago, I had chronic tendonitis in my right leg. Ended up going to a podiatrist, & getting prescriptions for an strength anti-inflammatory and PT sessions. The medication really did the trick in terms of relieving my discomfort ... apparently, achilles injuries can take a long time to heal.

Maybe Knott will weigh in w/some suggestions? In the meantime, best wishes to you, Oak.

This week's RoadBikeRider e-newsletter just happened to have an article on this very problem:

www.roadbikerider.com

Achilles Tendon Pain

What's the matter? Some day you may feel like Australian endurance cyclist Gerry Tatrai. He suffered mightily in one Race Across America. As a former winner of the event, he knew what to expect from the distance, heat and discomfort of up to 22 hours per day in the saddle. But what he didn't expect almost knocked him out of the race -- severe Achilles tendon pain.

Many people assume that because cycling is a low-impact activity, they're immune from the sort of injuries we associate with explosive sports like basketball. And it's true that you aren't likely to rupture a tendon while riding.

But Achilles problems on the bike aren't due to one sudden wrench. As Tatrai learned, they're caused by repetitive movement. And if the saddle is a little low or you push hard on hills with a slow, grinding cadence, small errors add up. Pretty soon you're hurting as badly as if you'd tried to dunk from the foul line.

What should you do if this injury strikes?

Here's Help:

When an Achilles tendon is complaining, go through this checklist:

Is your saddle high enough? Sometimes the body compensates for an excessively low saddle by bending too much at the ankle at the top of the stroke, which in turn puts strain on the Achilles.

Are you pulling through excessively at the bottom of the stroke? It's good to work on this skill occasionally but in normal riding it shouldn't be a conscious act. Overemphasis could cause Achilles stress.

Are you climbing a lot? Riding short-and-steep hills can bring on a case of Achilles tendinitis if you stay seated and push hard. Stand more or gear down so you can pedal against a lighter resistance.

Are you recovering sufficiently? If you're sure that your position is right, try easing off the climbing. If that doesn't work, take some time off the bike. Tatrai taped his ankle so it was held rigid as he pedaled, but he was trying to complete RAAM and wasn't about to stop unless he simply couldn't ride anymore.

It's unwise for the rest of us to be so determined. Achilles problems can become chronic. It's better to rest, take ibuprofen to reduce pain and swelling, apply ice for 15 minutes 4 times a day, and then ease back into riding after the pain has abated.

Also, this blog has had some recent talk about it as well -- this entry seems to address a lot about how to treat it:

http://runawayfastjaymee.blogspot.co...ze-of-one.html

A sure hope you heal quickly. Well wishes to you!

I hope you get to feeling better soon! I was in a walking boot for about 5 weeks last fall after taking an antibiotic that produced micro-tears in one of my Achilles tendons (this is a known side-effect - I am one of those fortunate people who get the weird side-effects). I know what it feels like...

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I hope you get to feeling better soon! I was in a walking boot for about 5 weeks last fall after taking an antibiotic that produced micro-tears in one of my Achilles tendons (this is a known side-effect - I am one of those fortunate people who get the weird side-effects). I know what it feels like...
    Catrin, it wasn't Cipro, was it? I suffered the same thing after taking Cipro while I was on RAGBRAI two years ago. I rode the entire week and had to miss the last day because I could hardly walk much less ride. It still bothers me when I run.

Oak, I'm so sorry this has happened. You have worked so hard. I hope it heals up in time for the marathon. Hang in there.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Thanks Michele.

It's specifically motorcycling that did it, it's not a new occurrence but I sure wasn't expecting it to bite me this hard this time, and I don't know what it is about the fit of my motos (both of them) that does it.

Lowering my seat height on the bici helped a LOT, because it's helped me reduce plantar flexion - so I'm surprised to read your post recommending raising it. It's been step by step, little by little, lowering my saddle and learning to stop plantar flexing so as to protect both my calves and my knees.

Been icing on and off most of the day - yeah, should've started earlier, but didn't think it was going to turn into this. Traumeel, near-infrared therapy, taking in your good wishes and radiating gratitude all around, keeping my fingers crossed.....
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Chick View Post
    Catrin, it wasn't Cipro, was it? I suffered the same thing after taking Cipro while I was on RAGBRAI two years ago. I rode the entire week and had to miss the last day because I could hardly walk much less ride. It still bothers me when I run.
    No, it was Levaquin, which is the same class of drugs as Cipro. Baaaad stuff! It still twinges from time to time but I pretty much ignore it - resting it doesn't seem to have any effect so I pretty much ignore it if it is only occasional.