Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

2010 Specialized BG Pro RBX Shorts ... THUMBS UP!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My two main cycling shorts for the past couple of years have been the Pearl Izumi P.R.O. (their top of the line) and the top of the line Specialized. I recently bought the new Specialized BG Pro RBX, which is the new version of what I already had. While my Specialized were already my favorite of the two, I am REALLY loving these shorts. I have been having some saddle sore issues, a recurring sore in the same area. I haven't been able to cure it yet, but have found I can basically hold it at bay by using Neosporin, Chamois Butter and riding in these new shorts. I notice a big difference in these shorts, particularly to the PI's, but also to the old version of the same shorts. The padding is obviously different.

As expensive as they are, I just ordered another pair, because they're all I want to wear now ... which means I'll probably order another pair eventually. So, I highly recommend you guys try the 2010 Specialized BG Pro RBX shorts.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

Are these a women's specific short, men's, or unisex? How is the sizing compared to the PI? I usually wear a medium in PI shorts...would that translate to the Specialized?

These are women specific. They're not cheap. Around $150, but you can find better deals online. I would guess you'd be the same size in Specialized as you are in PI. I would suggest trying them on at a store, if you have one near you that carries them, and then probably buy online if you want to save money. But a medium is probably a good guess ... and/or see if you can find a size chart.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Jiffer, thanks for the review. I have wondered how well Specialized fit and performed. I would like to try one but I'm afraid that there isn't enough padding to be comfy for the long haul. Can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger just yet.

Thanks for your review!

I ride in Shebeest Triple S shorts, PI or Terry, with majority being the Shebeest. They have been fine until I started riding on a Brooks saddle. The problem is too much padding. I like/need the padding in the sit bones area but not in my *soft tissue* area. It's causing me more pain than helping.

How is the padding in the soft tissue area of these shorts? Would you say it is more "minimalist" or more typical of say the PI shorts you mentioned?

I'm going to get some if they are lite on the padding in the front.

Susan
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been."

http://www.loveofbikes.com

SLash, just FTR, I'd been riding SheBeest SSS and feeling they were "just okay," with the main problem being too much padding. I recently got a pair of Castelli Provocante shorts and I am in chamois heaven.

Their Irresistible and Vizio Due shorts have the same chamois. I just ordered two pairs of Vizio Due shorts from TE, and I'm thinking/hoping I'm going to be really happy with the shorts, and TE is going to be really happy considering how many shorts I've ordered and returned because the chamois were so freakin' enormous.

ETA: Here's a picture and description of the Specialized chamois. I can't tell you exactly how thick, but I know I didn't even bother trying any on at the Specialized dealer where I bought the Castellis.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 04-26-2010 at 03:46 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

i have these shorts too. love the fit, but that pad is going to take some breaking in to make it more comfy. it keeps folding up and causing what i call the "double stuffed taco effect". they are comfy, and i know i will love them once the chamois is broken in.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    ...and TE is going to be really happy considering how many shorts I've ordered and returned because the chamois were so freakin' enormous.
    Oakleaf, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    SLash, just FTR, I'd been riding SheBeest SSS and feeling they were "just okay," with the main problem being too much padding. I recently got a pair of Castelli Provocante shorts and I am in chamois heaven.

Their Irresistible and Vizio Due shorts have the same chamois. I just ordered two pairs of Vizio Due shorts from TE, and I'm thinking/hoping I'm going to be really happy with the shorts, and TE is going to be really happy considering how many shorts I've ordered and returned because the chamois were so freakin' enormous.

ETA: Here's a picture and description of the Specialized chamois. I can't tell you exactly how thick, but I know I didn't even bother trying any on at the Specialized dealer where I bought the Castellis.
    I'm so envious! I want to be in chamois heaven! LOL, about short shopping. I'm kind of doing the same thing with baggy shorts and will be returning some myself.

The excess padding in all my shorts didn't bother me much before because of the cutout on my saddles but man, with the Brooks I notice!

I have kind of just stayed with the same brands and thought the type and amount of padding was pretty standard, but that's not true anymore. When I first bought bike shorts back in 1990 they didn't even have women's shorts so I bought a PI men's short, so things have improved. Just in the last couple of years it seems we have a lot more options.

So with the Castellis the chamois is thin? I'm tempted to order some, are there any other shorts known for thin chamois, or at least thin-ner in the front?

I think with chamois less may be more.

Let us know if you like the Vizio Due as much as the Provocante.

Thanks!
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been."

http://www.loveofbikes.com

still not loving these shorts. wore them yesterday on a long ride. still folding up and giving me a big fat melvin. ugh! love the fabric, but highly uncomfortable chamois and annoyed the ever living you know what out of me the whole ride yesterday. meh! i'm still working on breaking in the chamois though. i really want these shorts to work for me, but, so far, not so much...