Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Angry RANT: Bad trucker

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just got home from a 30km ride. Windy, cold as hell but enjoyed the ride except for...the fricking trucker dumbaz who decided to speed by me on a climb and cut me off. He blew by so fast, my vest flew up my back and honestly, I felt like I lifted off! He was so close I could feel the heat from his tires which are pretty much the size of me. It was a fricking big trailer and all I could do was hold on for dear life and keep on pedalling. WHY CAN'T CYCLIST GET ANY FREAKING RESPECT?!?!?!? I was wearing reflective stuff, my vest is red, and I'm pretty visible. Honestly, of all the times I've had close encounters with cars, I thought this one would send me to the hospital. Gigantic trailers vs little ol' me don't look like good odds. Okay, rant over.
    All limits are self imposed - Icarus

whew - first of all I'm glad you're ok. As for the rant, ya'll go right ahead and let loose hun! As for the trucker, some of them - note I say Some of them - I'm guessing don't realize how close they are to us coz I've seen the rigs move over as or after they're passing me which means he was trying to give me some space but the rig is just too big and takes too long. OTH - he coulda just been a DH and was trying to intimidate you in which case you coulda been wearing a Christmas Tree and he wouldn't have cared!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Glad you are okay! There is nothing worse then going up a hill with a big rig along side of you especially if you can feel the heat from the tires. Come on he had to know he was that close to you! I know they are big in all but he should have at least moved over for you since I'm sure he couldn't miss you in a red vest!

I'm beginning to think there are a lot of DHs out there who like to mess with bikers. Especially women bikers! Last weekend there were 6 of us women riding together and it seemed to be a game for guys in big SUVs and pickup trucks to ride really close to the bike lane and even run us off the bike lane when they were turning right.

If you have someone get that close, try to get their plate and call it in too... especially if you believe it's an intentional act to scare you or injure you! The cops may do nothing but there will be something on file in case the idiot gets too close and actually hurts the next cyclist.

really, really glad you're OK.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Thanks for letting me rant! I am grateful nothing worse happened but I was so upset that this DH (thanks for teaching me a new abbrev!) couldn't care less that he could've seriously injured me. You're right, not all truckers are so shamelessly reckless but this one set a new low.
    I am a really responsible cyclist and stay to the right as much as possible. My "wide load" is certainly not comparable to his! Plus no other cars were coming so he could've easily driven slightly to the left. I was just mad, sad, and scared all at once. I went back out today and wore my red jersey and red vest and reflectie strap things. I took the same route and refuse to let some DH scare me! Next time I will try to look at the plate and report such recklessness.

Way to go, Blue! Glad you're ok and fighting back.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

What bikerchick says is very important. I know I'm usually sooo mad that I don't remember to do it, but try to get that plate number and phone it in. One of the policemen in our town is a dedicated cyclist, and he says that they indeed want that stuff on file. He also said that if there are several on the same person, they'll contact the driver--accident or not.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeMomma
    Way to go, Blue! Glad you're ok and fighting back.
    Thanks BikeMomma!!! I'll try to represent the biker chix out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Aint Doody
    What bikerchick says is very important. I know I'm usually sooo mad that I don't remember to do it, but try to get that plate number and phone it in. One of the policemen in our town is a dedicated cyclist, and he says that they indeed want that stuff on file. He also said that if there are several on the same person, they'll contact the driver--accident or not.
    Thanks Aint Doody...love your username btw...

I will definitely make a mental note of it next time and report him. It was a big rig with no company name but next time I wouldn't hesitate to call the company and complain about the driver.

I run across a lot of semis-drivers who like to terrorize cyclists, it seems. I had one guy in an 18-wheeler almost nick me when he passed, at the same time hitting his horn. Almost went off the road. Another time, had a couple of yahoos in huge pick-up trucks chucking empty beer cans at me as they passed.

I can't help but think these guys need big trucks because they're inadequate in other areas. ...

Glad you're OK. ...