Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Bustertb "was bike riding on a rural road by myself and this guy passed me in his car googling at me. Then as I started up this steep hill a little ways up the road he was at the top waiting for me. As I was almost to the crest of the hill he asked me if I was riding alone! I thought to myself, why don't you just say, "I'm gonna beat you up (or whatever else he had in mind! ) and take your bike". So I told him no, my husband was up ahead and kept on peddling."

Busterb, I hope you reported this to police, local bike clubs etc. Sounds serious. I'm glad you're ok. This jerk needs to be locked up somewhere.

For my 10 year service anniversary at work I get to choose a gift. Choices include: pearls, ring, watch with no HRM functions imagine that, nixed them all, picked the buck knife. I don't know what the law is on that, don't care. And yep I deeply pacifist at nature and would do everything to never use force.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420
    Bustertb "was bike riding on a rural road by myself and this guy passed me in his car googling at me. Then as I started up this steep hill a little ways up the road he was at the top waiting for me. As I was almost to the crest of the hill he asked me if I was riding alone! I thought to myself, why don't you just say, "I'm gonna beat you up (or whatever else he had in mind! ) and take your bike". So I told him no, my husband was up ahead and kept on peddling."

Busterb, I hope you reported this to police, local bike clubs etc. Sounds serious. I'm glad you're ok. This jerk needs to be locked up somewhere.

For my 10 year service anniversary at work I get to choose a gift. Choices include: pearls, ring, watch with no HRM functions imagine that, nixed them all, picked the buck knife. I don't know what the law is on that, don't care. And yep I deeply pacifist at nature and would do everything to never use force.
    Buck Hunter 110? That's what I carry too, handy lil bugger! You never know how useful they are until you forget to take them with you!

I don't know what model it is, might even be generic or a Buck-wanna-be, but could be handy for getting spinach out from between the teeth etc.

doctorfrau cracks me up with "On your LEFT!" I announce. Someone finally realizes that I am addressing THEM as a head whips around. Chaos then ensues as various members of the circus troupe stumble around in various directions trying to decide which side of the trail they should retreat to."

this is why when calling out on paths whether it's peds, kids, in line skaters or cyclists of unknown experience level I call out a cheerful "g'morning/afternoon/hello" first. Most "non cyclists" think "on your left" means 'move to your left" yikes
    Last edited by Trek420; 10-01-2005 at 04:32 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420
    this is why when calling out on paths whether it's peds, kids, in line skaters or cyclists of unknown experience level I call out a cheerful "g'morning/afternoon/hello" first. Most "non cyclists" think "on your left" means 'move to your left" yikes
    Trek420 is right - before I started cycling I had never even heard that (coming from Aust I guess you wouldnt wrong side and all). I saw the movie Spanglish and worked it out (between laughing).
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

bike paths

As i ride on the bike paths here, i am very very tempted to just run into people that don't move out of my way. Turn of the Freakin Ipod and whatever else you have on and listen to your surroundings. Grrrrr....

The thing is, i usually yell 'on your right' and people often move and look a bit bewildered. I also just say beep beep since i don't have a bell (which is supposedly a law here --bah humbug..a bell on a mtn bike..hahaha...) and they seem to move.

So, if you;re on my bike path and you're either too slow, or just not listening, expect a surprise...

If i come accross as a mean Canadian kiwi...i have my moments...hehehehe

c

If there's not room to get past I usually just call out "excuse me" and ride through whatever gap gets created. It seems to work most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorfrau
    I really think they should paint a broken line down the middle to divide it into "lanes" - because the number of people walking four abreast is astounding. Then when I am riding toward them, few even make an attempt to move over to their "own" side of the path - and they're looking right AT me coming toward them - hello??!! I have been forced at times to slow down and go off onto the grass/berm in order to get around them.
    YES!! This drives me mad! There have been times when I've been *walking* my bike as close to one edge of the path possible and they still don't move! Do they think I'm going to jump over the edge into the river or simply vanish before they get to me? Once or twice I've even had dirty looks for being in their way! WTF?!?
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 10-02-2005 at 04:00 AM.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Reading this thread make me realize that this rudeness/self centeredness/lack of courtesy problem isn't limited to the DC metro area. The rudeness/selfishness/"it's all about ME" attitude is the norm here. Maybe it's because I come from Pittsburgh, PA, where kindness and courtesy was the rule, not the exception. At least it was in 1987 when I moved to DC strictly for employment reasons. It probably has changed, since this seems to be a national problem. I miss living in that sort of place, where people seem to care about each other.
    I've had so many close calls on the "multi use" trails around here that there are days when I want to give up riding. Forget cycling on the roads, as the drivers are even worse. I have to admit that many of my fellow cyclists are at fault, as they go way too fast for the "traffic," don't warn when passing, run stop signs, cut corners, wear those insipid IPODs, etc. I actually worry more about them than I do the walkers/joggers, some of whom I see as "trail blockers" due to their refusal to get over. Anyway, there are blind corners where I actually start saying Hail Marys to protect me from any kamikazee cyclists who might cut the corner at high speed and run into me (it's almost happened several times). I think the unsafe cyclists cause a bit of "rebellion" in the walkers/joggers who end up hating all cyclists, even those of us with manners. My new tactic that seems to work is that after I warn people that I'm going to pass and they don't move, I get behind them and say "I can't see around you to pass" and I hang there, but only if I truly can't see around them or if there are walkers/joggers in the left lane. If it's clear, I will go around them. Most of the time when I'm behind them waiting for a "safe" passing situation, they get over and some have actually apologized. They don't like someone on a bike trailing them at slow speed. I always thank them for moving over, too. Kindness goes a long way, and sometimes, I'll pass or encounter them later and they will smile & wave.
    I've actually had people thank me for warning them that I was going to pass because so many cylists around here won't take the time to do so.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

mickchick, yeah rudeness is rampant and some days it's very hard to be patient especially where ones safety is at risk.

especially here in the US of Automobile seems we've got more newbie riders these days, check out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051001...s_051001131528

one of the things I love about cycling is the culture, a generally friendlier bunch is not to be found. My theory is many new riders don't consider themselves cyclists, just someone saveing money on gas or fighting the battle of the bulge.

Take my commute for example, please ;-)

Friday ride to work, elevator door opens to take me up to the train, there's a "cyclist" inside loaded to the gills with a back pack, panniers, rear bke rack and even plastic Walmart shopping bags on handlebars! I gotta get me some a' those. Anyway he says
    "can you wait a minute while I adjust my bags? I'll be out in a moment"
    I calmly say "Ya know, can you help a fellow cyclist out by doing that *outside* the elevator so that I can catch my train?"
    "Oh, right, ok" he exits the car, doesn't hold the door for me which slams on my hand.

ya know ettiquette is sorta the social chain lube that makes things run better, some just don't know that I guess.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by tlkiwi
    If there's not room to get past I usually just call out "excuse me" and ride through whatever gap gets created. It seems to work most of the time.

YES!! This drives me mad! There have been times when I've been *walking* my bike as close to one edge of the path possible and they still don't move! Do they think I'm going to jump over the edge into the river or simply vanish before they get to me? Once or twice I've even had dirty looks for being in their way! WTF?!?
    Well, I'm glad it's not just an "American pedestrians are idiots thing" Sounds like it's universal.

I did have one "travelling circus" actually ASK me which side they should go to and I told them with a smile that it was just like the highway - You stay right and pass left. (at least in the U.S) Of course some can't figure it out on the highway either!

Around here, the big problem on bike/jogging/walking trails is roller bladers who wear headphones. When you come up behind those and they're zigzagging the entire width of the path, deaf to the world around them, good luck getting past safely. Once earlier this year, I was behind one of these gals and called out to her twice - no response. Since she was swinging her arms really wide, I tried to reach out and tap her arm to get her attention - I mean, since she couldn't hear, what else is there to do? Of course, trying to tap a flailing arm ended up being more than a tap, but still not a bruiser. You'd think I'd whacked the tar out of her - her head jerked up and her eyes were glaring, nostrils flaring . . . I told her, "Sorry -- I tried three times . . ." and held up three fingers. It didn't calm her in the least. I doubt she heard the apology, but hey - nobody got hurt.--

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by doctorfrau
    Well, I'm glad it's not just an "American pedestrians are idiots thing" Sounds like it's universal.
    Not at all. In the area I was thinking of when I wrote that it's more than likely a case of "tourists are idiots" so who knows which country gets to claim 'em as their own.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

The flip side of rude walkers

Today, I was thinking about this thread while I rode a very popular local limestone loop trail in a forest preserve. As I came upon a group of two families strung out all along the trail, one of them turned and saw me (well before I was close enough to call out and pass), "BIKE, BIKE" and all the kids scattered and ran pell mell into the woods, arms akimbo! I thought I'd fall off my bike it was so funny. It felt like I was t-rex or something!

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch
    Today, I was thinking about this thread while I rode a very popular local limestone loop trail in a forest preserve. As I came upon a group of two families strung out all along the trail, one of them turned and saw me (well before I was close enough to call out and pass), "BIKE, BIKE" and all the kids scattered and ran pell mell into the woods, arms akimbo! I thought I'd fall off my bike it was so funny. It felt like I was t-rex or something!
    Jurassic Nuthatch I love it.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

nuthatch... OMG I can just pciture it... I had to stop laughing before I could type this...

and trek- "Jurassic Nuthatch"... bwahahahahhahahaa

thank you ladies, for the laugh!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Quote Originally Posted by Deborajen
    Around here, the big problem on bike/jogging/walking trails is roller bladers who wear headphones. When you come up behind those and they're zigzagging the entire width of the path, deaf to the world around them, good luck getting past safely.
    I totally agree about the roller bladers - scary! Yesterday I did a ride on a nice multi-use path, and had to pass 4 roller bladers at different times - I was afraid I would be body-checked into traffic or the bay - there was no way to make contact - I could hear their music blasting out of the earphones as I passed. Generaly the peds and runners were pretty good - the only other hazards were the super-cyclists - passing at top speed (25+mph ) with no calling out - just wearing those little biker caps, not even helmets - it makes me so mad - when I get my breath back, I usually yell out - "call out please!"