Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Latex allergy

Hybrid View

Latex allergy

I had dental work done recently (temporary crown). 28 hours later, I developed wheezing, a tight cough, and was short of breath. I had to use a nebulizer for several days till things cleared up.
    I've gone to the same dentist for nearly 20 years, and he has used latex gloves the entire time.
    I have been getting allergy shots for a year. Testing showed that I was not allergic to latex, but the allergy doc told me to avoid it. (??)
    Anyone else out there have problems with this?

Thanks! Barb

Were you tested for latex allergy after you had the reaction?

I think novocaine (or whatever they really use... I think it's lidocaine?) can be allergenic too?

Is it possible you reacted to a food or something else outside the dentist's office?

Most HCPs that I'm aware of have already gone to nitrile gloves. If your experience spurs your dentist to do that, then that's good even if it's not what you reacted to.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

latex

I will see my allergy doc in a few weeks. He may or may not recommend repeat latex allergy testing.

I've never had an allergic reaction to the novocaine although with allergies, anything is possible.

My food intake was nothing new. The same exciting healthy stuff.

I wonder if latex gloves are cheaper than the non-latex?

Barb

Based on the problems my sister has had with the same allergen, I think if you were allergic to latex, you would have had a reaction while you were still at the dentist.

BTW if you are allergic to latex, you also need to avoid bananas and avocados. They're related to the rubber tree and share the same chemical that causes the problem.

What were you doing when the wheezing began?

I wondered about that, too, and from some quick poking around, it does seem that you can have a delayed local reaction to latex or the processing chemicals, but anaphylaxis would be immediate. Here's a couple of summaries.

I have a mystery allergy - all I know is that three times, three to four hours after eating a certain dish at a certain restaurant, my whole body broke out in hives, and the first time I did have some upper respiratory constriction. I've never had an anaphylactic reaction to any other food, including any of the ingredients that I'm aware of in that dish. So it's possible you may never know what it was that set you off.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Have I ever mentioned my cashew allergy? Very hard to diagnose and extremely unpleasant. I have no allergic symptoms while eating them. But about three days later, well, let's just say they caused severe itching on the way out. Constant anal itching that lasted for about a week.

The first time it happened, I was mystified. The second time, I remembered that I had had cashews a few days earlier and had also had them a few days before the first event (it was right at the end of my vacation, which made it easier to remember what I had been doing/eating since it was different from my everyday habits). I waited a couple of weeks for the symptoms to completely go away and then tested it by eating more cashews, and bingo.

Some internet research revealed that this particular allergy is related to allergy to poison ivy. Apparently mangos can cause a similar problem. It's worth noting that I had to dig a bit to find this information.

BTW I love cashews and had never had any problems with them before last year. So if you have reason to suspect an allergy to latex, it's best to avoid all related triggers even if you've never had a problem with them before. But I would also consider more immediate possible causes, such as anything you had been eating recently or anything you might have been breathing in such as cleaning solvents or other chemicals being used in the vicinity.

In your case, OakLeaf, I would call the restaurant manager and tell them what happened, and ask if you can have a complete list of the ingredients in the dish.

latex

I've never had problems with bananas.

I was at work at the hospital. I was doing psych interviews.