Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

New bike - mixed feelings

To disable ads, please log-in.

When you get a new bike, do you feel like you're cheating on your old one?

I ordered a hybrid around July 4th, hadn't been biking much in like 15 years, and my road bike seemed awfully wobbly, not enough gears, not stable enough (with me riding it) to pull the kids, so a hybrid seemed like the perfect choice.

Then I started riding the road bike while waiting for the hybrid to come in, put on about 90 miles in a few weeks, and loved the speed. I got the hybrid last weekend, and felt guilty when I took her out for a ride. Also, she seemed slow, but that improved a lot when I took her back to LBS for a fitting - we got her in a lower position and moved the saddle back almost as far as it would go, so that improved my pedal power.

The hybrid is super for towing the trail-a-bike, my son and I road 2.7 miles last night around our rolling neighborhood (talk about hill training!), and I got it all outfitted for our rainy weather so I can keep riding and not worry about it. But I sort of miss my old roadie - it was my first grown-up bike. My plan du jour is to ride the hybrid and get stronger, then hopefully the lack of gearing on the roadie won't bother me next season. After all, in just a few weeks, with you guys' help, I was able to get up my hill, so who knows how much progress I can make this year.

I think the hybrid is like the guy you've been married to for 20 years. Lovely, kind, helpful, reliable, steady, responsible. Good for the family. Good for you for the long haul. But the road bike is like your first love...all passion and emotion, much more exciting.

Will they mind if I love them both?

They better not. There would be huge sibling warfare in my house otherwise. Can you imagine, um, 8 1/2 bikes all squabbling over who is loved the most? I just tell them they each have a special and equal place in my heart.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Just think of the two bikes as different aspects of your personality.

The hybrid is for when you are a responsible Mom taking your son places and filling his little mind with good memories.

The road bike is the Red Hot Mamma part of you. A bike to go fast on.

There is a place for both in every woman's life.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike
    Just think of the two bikes as different aspects of your personality. . . responsible Mom taking your son places and . . the Red Hot Mamma
    You by any chance a fan of the cartoon strip "Rose is Rose."
    Last edited by SadieKate; 08-19-2005 at 09:33 AM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I am aware of "Rose is Rose" but she isn't in my local paper. Oh well...
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

I know how you feel. I still miss my old MTB, even though my new one is a much better bike. I get to see the old one once in a while, because I sold him to a friend. Now, we have a MTB with road tires in the family. Used to belong to 6'4" BF, who finally got a new road bike which fit. I started riding the old GT on the road. Love him! He's the perfect size for me. But then I was riding longer and longer, and thinking about tri's and centuries, and I started wanting a real road bike. So I bought one on eBay. She's not here yet! But already I feel guilty about poor old GT who's been such a dependable if not glamourous ride for me, my BF, and who knows who before that...

Nanci

I give them all pats on the seats, call them by name, tell them how wonderful they are - especailly the 26 comfort bike which I still can't decide what I'm going to do about. I was going to use her for my winter commutes but the MTB is much lighter than the comfort bike. I keep thinking the weight will be "weight training" for next spring when I'll back on the road bikes again - but who knows. Til then, I keep their tires inflated and water bottles in their cages (so they can pretend they're out riding when I'm not home)
    Oh..and the cats use them as hiding places, they duck under the chainrings and get inbetween them where neither I nor the dogs can reach them.....I think it makes the bikes feel protective!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

I don't think they mind at all if you love them both/all. They know they each have a special place in your heart and can give you something the others can't. Heck, I was recently riding my old Trek and he selflessly told me that I needed to move the saddle back a little on my Colnago. Just a small change and I'm riding so much stronger on the Colnago now. I love the Trek even more for helping me out like that especially since it means I may ride him less often.
    2004 Colnago Chic - WTB Deva
    2008 Blue RC7 - WTB Deva
    2009 Colnago Master X-lite - WTB Deva

We're in the same boat--I'm using the hybrid with trailer for most my rides, while the road bike only gets used every other week (every week if I'm lucky). I miss the speed as well, and I'm not a fast rider even on the road bike!

I like to think that having two bikes is only a precursor to having three bikes, then four, then...who knows? When the baby gets bigger, I'd like to do some touring. Right now my goal for that is a Surly LHT. And it would be great to have a "real" road bike--my current road bike is a Bridgestone RB-T. Of course, the RB-T is like my favorite old jeans, so I can't get rid of it.

The hybrid will come in handy for more than just the trailer, of course. It's good for family and group rides with people who don't ride often. On the road bike you would probably just be frustrated at the slow pace, I find these rides go easier when I'm on a slower bike. I also like to use my hybrid if I'm riding in traffic, especially in an area I haven't ridden in before. The upright position makes me feel more visible, and I don't have to worry so much about the tires.

Bikes are like children. You love them all equally, but each for their special qualities. I have 3 bikes, one roadie, one mountain, and one commuter. What I've found is that you need to talk to your bikes. When you take one out, give the others a little pat on the seat, and reassure them that their turn will come. Be sure and give all the tires a tender squeeze, feed them a little air even if they aren't going out for awhile. You can keep them all happy!

Okay, I just HAVE to know - is this just a female thing with us??? Or do your male SO's do this too?

Well, I just asked my partner and my two oldest boys (16 and 14 1/2) and they all looked a bit stunned and answered in a puzzled way ... no...
    Partner said - you just want to wear the next one out... as you did the last

Me? When I got my Red Pony (RB) and stopped riding Black Thunder (MB) I felt a tad guilty and now feel no remorse unless I look at Black Thunder and then I think I should really take him for a jaunt around the paddock... but of course my pretty pony always wins and i ride her instead and think I'll take thunder out another day...

The bike doesn't seem jealous... but I feel a tad guilty

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Yeah, I feel guilty at first. But currently I am riding two bikes equally. My old freebie, big sentimental value,roadie for communting and my bran new cyclocross for longer rides, trails, uncountering unknown hills, ect.... Think of it this way; one is your lover, the other you handyman. You can love both for what they can do for you and they shouldn't be jealous because they each have a purpose in your live that the other can't fill.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I think my hubby would think I was nuts if I told him. They're definitely different aspects of me, and that's a good way of looking at it. And I can relate to loving them both (like my 2 kids), not one more than the other. I just have to make sure I find time for both!! Right now, I think my old roadie is going to teach me all about adjusting deraileurs and then we'll go out for a nice long (for me) ride.

Men just don't understand.......a lot of things.