When we set up our household I couldn't BELIEVE how difficult it was to find a spice rack with jars that didn't already contain herbs that had been sitting in a warehouse for G_D only knows how long.

If that's the only kind you can find, buy it and compost the contents; but empty ones are out there. Then what herbs and spices you don't grow yourself, buy them as needed at a store that sells them in bulk.

Spices tend to keep a lot longer than herbs, especially whole seeds. I grind almost everything except cinnamon, ginger and turmeric immediately before use. I have to say that since fresh turmeric has become so widely available, I haven't bought any... not quite sure how to use it, or how different it tastes from the dried and ground spice (having only ginger as a reference).

As for saffron, I doubt it's even possible to buy it fresh in the USA, and honestly, to me, it doesn't seem to lose flavor over the 6-12 months it takes me to use a packet. I still vote for "insufficient quantity" where saffron is concerned.