Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Question Plastic BPA drinking glasses for grown ups...

We are in the market for more drinking glasses. We like our plastic ones primarily because we take them outside in the summer. I am looking for 16+ ounce size plastic cups - and am having a hard time finding BPA free ones. Any suggestions either on-line or in stores would be helpful.

As a scientist who works with BPA.... Oh never mind, you don't want to hear the truth. Go ahead, find a cup that doesn't have all the benefits of BPA and is much more expensive, you'll feel better because of media hype BS.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    As a scientist who works with BPA.... Oh never mind, you don't want to hear the truth. Go ahead, find a cup that doesn't have all the benefits of BPA and is much more expensive, you'll feel better because of media hype BS.
    Please share your thoughts - I welcome broadening my mind.

I would like to know too- any scientisits out there working with parabens and other cosmetic ingredients?

Hi TSPoet,

I would like to know to without the media hype and BS. So please let us in on your thoughts.

BTW, in college I started as a physics, major, then went to Chem E. then ended up as an EE. And there are others here with chemical background and I'm sure they would like to know too.

I was more into statistical thermodynamics with Grand Canonical Equations, Eyering rate of reaction theory, simpler version is arrhenius (sp) rate of reaction Aexp(-Ea/kt)... so I am very much interested in what you have to say.

sincerely,

Smilingcat

um, OK...
    First, I have a PhD in Pharmacology/Toxicology and my sub-field is pharmacokinetics and risk assessment. Back in 15xx, Paracelsus said something to the effect of "the dose makes the poison" (if you google Paracelsus, you'll find what he really said, but that's close enough). Basically what that means is, it doesn't matter if its toxic if you don't get enough of it. Everything is toxic, I've heard stories of people drinking too much water and dieing. Bisphenol A is a big example of this - in studies in rats where they dose with huge amounts of the stuff it has a whole bunch of adverse effects, and its has a fairly well defined mechanism of action. It's mechanism of action is relevant to humans. So, now, media and lots of poeple start screaming, take it out of everything! Which sounds like it makes sence, but
    here's the rub. A tiny, almost infinitesimal amount of BPA leaches into your food and water. So, your dose is a fraction of the rat's dose. But, what does that mean? Well, you have to take it a step further, what amount of that absorbs through your intestine? Again, that's a fraction of the infinitesimal "dose" that got there. In fact, studies being done in humans are hampered by detection limits - the amount getting in is so tiny it can't be measured. Oh - in fact there are studies being done in humans - that right there says a lot. My group works with BPA, I don't personally do that. I work with pesticides - we couldn't get permission to do any of the studies that are being done with BPA with our pesticides.
    The first big study with BPA that started all this hype can't be repeated, several labs have tried and they just can't get the same results.
    So, much of what you've heard about BPA is true - at very very high doses in rats. At low doses - absolutely nothing. Your body is an amazing thing, it can safely clear not only BPA but millions of other things you are exposed to everyday.
    BPA is one of the latest-greatest hypes. Wait a few years, it will be something else.
    I purposefully expose myself to so many much much more toxic things - alcohol, caffeine, benzene (in gasoline, nasty stuff)... But these we all accept because they've always been there.
    My photoblog
    Strada Velomobile

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    This all sound like a business opportunity to me. That is, if you don't mind making some cash off of people's fears. Hmm.

Nothing scientific about this suggestion.

We have polycarbonate glasses from Williams-Sanoma that have been through the dishwasher for at least three years. None have cracked like our previous clear plastic purchases. They are a bit cloudy but not too bad. I do not baby them.
    We have Target brand polycarbonate glasses in our RV. They are hand washed, much newer, and used less frequently so they are crystal clear.

The WS glasses were expensive compared to the Target. I can't say if the Target will hold up under the dishwasher like the WS. Anyone out there have Target polycarbonates that have experienced dishwasher abuse?

The cracking in the dishwasher was the major drawback with the non-polycarbonate versions we had previously used.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyBird View Post
    Nothing scientific about this suggestion.

We have polycarbonate glasses from Williams-Sanoma that have been through the dishwasher for at least three years. None have cracked like our previous clear plastic purchases. They are a bit cloudy but not too bad. I do not baby them.
    We have Target brand polycarbonate glasses in our RV. They are hand washed, much newer, and used less frequently so they are crystal clear.

The WS glasses were expensive compared to the Target. I can't say if the Target will hold up under the dishwasher like the WS. Anyone out there have Target polycarbonates that have experienced dishwasher abuse?

The cracking in the dishwasher was the major drawback with the non-polycarbonate versions we had previously used.
    The preservedproducts I mentioned have been through the dishwasher twice with no ill effects, but we simply don't use them that much.

They aren't Target brand. Apparently (after a bit more research) I can get them at Crate and Barrel (clearly not a cheap store) or any of a number of natural foods stores (including Whole Foods and Sprouts).

Not sure how they'd hold up long term, but on the other hand they are cheap and easily recycled, so you could toss them if they started getting icky after a year or so.

TsPoet, I would like to know if the various studies were based on stored liquid or liquid that is just temporarily in the container. Obviously a gin & tonic taken out to the bocce ball court isn't going to sit in the glass for long. Similarly, wine doesn't last long in my high lead count crystal wine glasses, but we no longer use our crystal decanters.

The comment about BPA in canned food is significant. Sometimes the 5 second rule is valid.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Obviously a gin & tonic taken out to the bocce ball court isn't going to sit in the glass for long.

Not if you are the one making them and I'm the one drinking them.....
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    TsPoet, I would like to know if the various studies were based on stored liquid or liquid that is just temporarily in the container. Obviously a gin & tonic taken out to the bocce ball court isn't going to sit in the glass for long. Similarly, wine doesn't last long in my high lead count crystal wine glasses, but we no longer use our crystal decanters.

The comment about BPA in canned food is significant. Sometimes the 5 second rule is valid.
    Sorry, I've been at the annual Society of Toxicology meeting. I'm afraid the container-leaching details are beyond me. I have a colleague doing a study right now investigating the amount of BPA that can be measured in people's blood after consuming meals of food from containers with BPA (applesauce and spam are on the menu, as well as numerous other similar goods). If I remember, I'll post in about a year when he publishes his results.
    My photoblog
    Strada Velomobile

we use stainless steel mugs i got from http://lifewithoutplastic.com/

they hold 13 oz not a lot but a nice amount and i like how they look and got the pitcher they sell with them.
    Last edited by moonfroggy; 03-06-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Tervis has a 16 oz. tumbler.

http://www.tervis.com/