Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

two ladies: (last night in the snow) - you're not going to ride that tonight are you!

Me: (3/4 of the way home, had stopped to knock some ice out of my brakes) - H&ll yes, I'm moving and they're (the cars stuck spinning out on the hill) not going anywhere!

I also had someone yell something like "for gods sake be careful" - silly man.... it was probably safer out last night than usual.... fewer cars and they were all going very slowly.... Yes, I could slip on some ice and fall if I wasn't careful, but I'm a good bike handler (no I didn't fall down at all). I'm positive that it was safer to not be in a car last night..... I wasn't at all likely to crash into a tree or roll over and if my mode of transportation got stuck, I was not only already dressed to handle the weather, I could throw it over my shoulder until I got to a better spot....
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

hee-hee, nothing like being more mobile than the drivers

That's my very favourite "why I bike"-point - if something happens to me, the weather, the bike or the road, I can pick my bike up, carry it onto the sidewalk and take the metro home. Try doing that with your car!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

My favorite conversation occurred last summer. The group ride I was on was going to a lunch place that I knew would not have enough room for 50 riders. So, I peeled off and went to a nearby coffee/sandwich place, with the intention of riding home (about 8 miles) from there. I walked in to order my sandwich, when I heard:
    (Woman I know slightly from my temple, loud enough for everyone to turn and look at me): OH my G-d! You look like a professional. You rode here, from your house?
    Me: Actually I just rode about 41 miles with my club.
    Woman: I didn't know you did that (insinuating everyone knows DH rides, but a woman couldn't possibly do what he does). You ride with Mr. Crankin?
    Me: (sigh) Yes. OK, I gotta go, it looks like rain moving in.
    Woman: Do you think you can make it? Do you want a ride?
    Me: No. I am going to have to ride an extra loop, past my street to get 50 miles.
    Woman: You ride 50 miles?
    (To myself.. Oy.) Me: Have a nice lunch.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

This was kind of funny...me and my son were riding and had only gone about 8 miles and we turned onto a new road. We mostly ride on back roads and stuff, not the highways. Anyway, there was an old man sitting in a chair on his porch watching us. I called back over my shoulder to my son, "Only 15 more miles to go!" and the old man laughed and said really sarcastically, "Only 15, eh?"

Quote Originally Posted by happinesshill View Post
    This was kind of funny...me and my son were riding and had only gone about 8 miles and we turned onto a new road. We mostly ride on back roads and stuff, not the highways. Anyway, there was an old man sitting in a chair on his porch watching us. I called back over my shoulder to my son, "Only 15 more miles to go!" and the old man laughed and said really sarcastically, "Only 15, eh?"
    Oh, I can easily imagine that one! Because my late father and all of my uncles could have been that man.

And my mother would have tartly reminded them of the energetic things they did when they were younger...

Reported for spam. Stop scr*wing with my morning enjoyment of this place and nicking other peoples posts is plain rude.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler