Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Income Tax Refunds

To disable ads, please log-in.

If you're getting a tax refund, what are your plans for the money?

We are buying new kitchen appliances - refrigerator, stove and dishwasher - nothing really expensive, probably lower priced ones. We had an above ground swimming pool(came with the house), we took it out this past fall, we were debating whether to replace it with a smaller pool - but the summers haven't been that hot and not a long swim season. Can't afford to do appliances and pool - maybe one of those portable ones.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

We already got ours and promptly put them into saving, we've got furlough days and possible layoffs to contend with.

A built-in bookcase in my living room. I've had the design from the contractor for months. Now I can afford it. Once I (meaning my sister) pick a paint color and paint my living room.

And, hopefully, going over for part of the Tour de France this summer.

And savings.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

We got a HUGE refund this year (because we over-witheld...oops!). We opted to put it all into savings. With such a large bump to our savings plans, we can afford to spend a little more of our paycheck money and we are actually thinking of taking our first vacation in 7 years. We'll see though.

It's amazing how hard it is to part with the money for something we don't NEED once its tucked away in the bank!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

we did taxes late last year but got a huge amount back. i am using some to get my luna orbit!

this year we wont be getting much. i want to get a better bike trailer for my son to ride in though so if we get anything it goes towards that.

Ours - I expect to get some significant $$ back - will go to savings.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    we were supposed to get a couple thousand back, but since we converted a traditional IRA to a Roth- we lost that and had to pay some.
    Usually that's our vacation money for the year.
    Have fun spending your refunds! New appliances sound dreamy!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Kitchen renovations.

Last year's refund has been in the bank waiting for me to have a new heat pump installed. Installation was in late December, paid for with a 6-months-same-as-cash deal. So I'll be paying that bill soon. Too bad I wasn't able to earn a decent interest rate on the money in the meantime.

The first year I was in my condo, I used my tax refund to get new windows.

Not the most fun use of my money, but it all leads to happier day-to-day life.

Just filed today. Mine is going toward the repair bill to replumb my upstairs bathroom and to patch all the holes in the walls and ceiling that were required to replace the pipes. Won't even come close to paying the bill, but everything helps.

I've been planning on a new camera for some time now.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

bummer,

I called my CPA's office today. The receptionist said that they had not received my packet. The mail went out as certified... So it's now time to go looking for the missing packet. Being certified mail, I hope it is found.

I do have a back up copy so that should help.

I don't know if I have to pay or if I will have a refund. So it will be a waiting game. If I do get a refund, then it will be going into my piggybank cause I'm temporarily retired. (sounds so much better)

I use a CPA cause I'm too dumb to figure out the tax code and turbo tax makes my head spin. If I do get audited (knock on wood), CPA's office also has a team of in-house tax attorneys...

smilingcat

16 cases of really good wine from a private vineyard in California. All Pinot's. Life is just ridiculous.
    Lookit, grasshopper....

My Dell finally died, so I'm hoping for a nice refund and a new Mac
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

We got a small one (under $200), it went straight to savings. I know in some theories it is best not to get a big one but we withhold at the higher single rate just to balance our combined incomes since once they combine we jump two tax brackets. I remember days of getting huge returns and buying furniture, bikes or trips. Ours did put a larger jump into our emergency savings goal so I am happy about that. A lot better than waiting on our small paycheck withholding to get us there.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    It will go towards a new roof. There will be no leftovers. The roof cannot be put off any longer.