Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Surly Love

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I figure I don't need the kickstand until I put a rack on the bike and start carrying things other than me
    I have a rack and carry quite a lot of things other than myself, and I don't use a kickstand. None of my bikes have kickstands.

One of my bikes fell over its one-legged kickstand in a very un-pretty way. I took it off and will not put one on a bike again.

If you really want a kickstand look into the two-legged ones.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I have a rack and carry quite a lot of things other than myself, and I don't use a kickstand. None of my bikes have kickstands.

One of my bikes fell over its one-legged kickstand in a very un-pretty way. I took it off and will not put one on a bike again.

If you really want a kickstand look into the two-legged ones.
    This is good to know, I DID note that the Surly site was very strong in their recommendation to not use one on the LHT in particular due to the possibility of ruining the frame. Apparently there is a kind that is positioned more to the rear, though of course only useful if you only load on the rear.

I did put one on my 7.6, I have regretted that since but the LBS talked me out of removing it the other day - they just sawed off part of the length. Time will tell if it stays...

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Apparently there is a kind that is positioned more to the rear, though of course only useful if you only load on the rear.
    A kickstand isn't necessary to load a bike.
    The location of the stand isn't really about the load.

A loaded bike is even more likely to topple, and while you are loading it the bike wiggles and is even MORE likely to topple.

Try learning to manage the bike without a kickstand at first. It will give you a feel for the balance points and inertia of the bike, which will help you decide later about kickstands.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson