Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Coming to OC - Need advice Cali Girls!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all
    I am coming on a business trip march 5th to Orange county. I will be staying in Aliso Viejo.
    I would like advice on rides (both MTB and bike trails). I've gotten a few maps and guide books. I am not very strong aerobically now, so any of those massive canyon things is not going to happen.
    Can you reccomend a bike shop; a few easier mtb rides and tell me what is best access to the Santa Ana river bike trail.

Also how about the Aliso creek bike trail???

oh, I also don't want to encounter any snakes.
    Crediamo in te, bici!

I don't do much riding in Orange County (I'm up by LA), but I wish I did. Irvine, a town a little bit north of Aliso Viejo, has very good bike trails on its roads. It's relatively flat, too. I'm willing to bet that Aliso Viejo and a lot of those South OC towns have good bike paths. One advantage of suburbia.

I have ridden on the Pacific Coast Highway by Newport Beach before. If you are ok with lots of cars, it's a nice ride by the ocean. There are also nice strand areas on and off by the sea.

Laguna Canyon Road from the 405/5 freeway to the ocean seems like it might be a nice, somewhat hilly ride. Never rode it before but it looks good!

I can't recommend any mtb stuff, but perhaps the folks at Jax Bikes can: http://jaxbicycles.com/.

oh, I also don't want to encounter any snakes.
    Let's see, March, early spring, you actually may have to keep an eye out for rattlesnakes on mountain bike trails. Usually around that time of year they are out more, and I think the babies (stronger poison) are hatching. Granted, I've lived in CA for more than 30 years and have only seen a rattlesnake once in the wild, on a hike in the mountains. If you do see one, just stay away from it. Watch your step. They aren't out looking for people.

I also know that there have been mountain lion attacks in the hills in OC before, but really have no idea where exactly or what to do if you see one.
    Last edited by tangentgirl; 02-22-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Chains, did you get out and ride when you were here? If you are still in OC, someone was telling me about a cool sounding ride plan last weekend.

Go to San Juan Capistrano and leave your car at the Amtrak station. Apparently you can ride south down the coast, from station to station, and take the train back at any point, as far as San Diego. From what this guy was telling me, you can even ride though the Marine base at Camp Pendleton if you have a valid US picture ID. Might be something to check ahead on, but that would be a pretty ride.

I don't know the route or street names, but it would be worth exploring.