Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Our GE works

We have been real happy, so far, with our GE fridge purchased last year. Reconsider the side-by-side decision. Ours is 2 doors on top for the fridge portion, and a big slideout drawer on the bottom for the freezer. It is much easier to get big items in and out of both compartments. Spatially impaired as I am, the mechanical engineer boyfriend had to convince me that configuration was better, but he was right.

The one thing I don't like about our fridge is it has a stainless finish. Stainless is very popular right now, so it was in stock. I would have had to wait a few weeks to get it in a different finish.

Why do you want a picture of ice on the door?
    If you put the picture up with a magnet you can remove it
    Last edited by Zen; 02-20-2010 at 07:26 AM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Yes, my next fridge will have the freezer on the bottom, and two doors up top. Very expensive, though.

A refrigerator is a thing you shouldn't skimp on. Buy the best you can afford. They last a long time. I have an Amana which has been going strong for 13 years, but I'm in the market because the ice maker lines are not long for this world (we've been repairing them).

I like ConsumerReports.org for my big appliance buying decisions. The $29 price to get the latest ratings is worth it to me.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post

I like ConsumerReports.org for my big appliance buying decisions. The $29 price to get the latest ratings is worth it to me.
    But how often do you purchase large appliances? You could get Consumer Reports yearly compendium at the library.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

When we had ice & water in the door it was messy and took up lots of room in the freezer. It leaked and then broke.

Now we have a small LG with double fridge doors on the top and the freezer on the bottom. It's the best fridge I've ever been associated with.

Good luck finding what works for you!

I am really rethinking the freezer on the bottom idea. We purchased one month of consumer reports online for 6 bucks and they rate high.
    We are headed out the door to spend $$$$$
    Ugh!

This is going to hurt...
    Lookit, grasshopper....

Welllllll
    Home with a Frigidare and a 10 year warranty - all of the other companies offered a one year warranty. Whether they stand behind it or not might be another story but for now I am happy. We got a close out model for $900 cheaper than this years model. Hubby convinced me (twisted my arm, I swear) that we should replace our billion year old oven with the $$ we saved.
    I might have to cook dinner more now!
    Thanks for your imput.

Chicken Litl' - loved checking out the site for the fridges - what a great idea - shipping was a little spendy for this side of the country though.

Zen - as always, ya tha funny one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    But how often do you purchase large appliances? You could get Consumer Reports yearly compendium at the library.
    There was a time when I was buying a lot of things that were rated by CR (cars, stereos, vacuum cleaners, etc.). I haven't been a member in about 2 years cuz I'm on a spending diet. But when I'm making a big decision, like a car, it's important to me to know it's tested, and the cost is worth my peace of mind.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Timing for this thread is perfect. I think I'm going to need a new place to store my frig magnets soon. Actually my fridge has never been quite right after I cleaned it out post H. Katrina (4.5 years ago ) - it was left alone with no power for a week . Ever since, the defrost water hasn't drained to the pan at the bottom, it drains to the inside of the fridge, so I have a couple of plastic containers inside to catch the drips that I have to empty on a regular basis. Considering that the unit is now 10 years old, I suppose it's time to find a replacement.

I'll check out the web site NY Biker posted , or go to my local library for the CR.
    Beth