Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A new start

To disable ads, please log-in.

As far as household stuff there are two things that make me happy every time I use them:
    1) a GOOD set of knifes (even just 2, a chef's and a paring). Something nice that can be resharpened, hold an edge, and get really sharp. Personally I have Wustoff (and get a new one every Christmas from my wonderful step-mom )

2) Salt and Pepper grinders. I can't believe how much better things taste with fresh salt and pepper, and if you can get them in bulk it's no more expensive than the pre-ground stuff.

If you aren't a microwave person, yes, a toaster oven would be a good investment for heating up leftovers (you'll have a lot of them as a single person if you cook. I cook 2-3 times a week and eat leftovers pretty much the rest of the time).

Other than that (and slightly, but not totally, irrelevant) my dog! Seriously, can't live without her, for many reasons. Not the least of which is that she makes me less edgy when I'm alone (I jump at every little noise at night when I'm alone, but not so much with her around).

Thanks!!

This is exactly the kind of feed back I was hoping for.

I don't use a microwave and that's why I was thinking toaster oven. I have plenty of counter space for it. My new kitchen is one of the only things about my new place that can be labeled as spacious. I have lots of cupboards too. I haven't had a toaster oven since I was a kid. But I remember it being pretty handy. I'm definitely going to look for a convection toaster oven. Great idea.

Good idea on the cast iron! I think I may even be able to get some cast iron cookware from a friend that is high quality but he doesn't use it anymore.

Good knives are essential and I hadn't thought of that.

Salt and pepper grinders - yes definitely.

Lise - I actually have that cookbook and the crock was one of the only things I took with me when I left. I couldn't live without mine. As for the sofa, that gets to be the decision of the new BF if and when he moves in. The living room is his turf. The kitchen is mine. I have a feeling that he'll get exactly the kind of sofa you're talking about though.

Good suggestions on kettles and coffee solutions. I don't usually make coffee for myself at home but I do often have guests and I should have a way to make it.

Rice cooker - I'll have to think about that one. It may not be essential for me.

Dog - I wish. The dog issue was actually one of the things that made me realize I had to leave my previous relationship. I can't have a dog right now, I don't have enough time for one... but I will one day.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

+1 on the toaster oven, if you have room for one. You don't want to heat up the whole oven for one bulb of garlic. I don't have a toaster oven here and consequently I hardly ever roast garlic.

Rice cooker... it's really, really nice to have, but honestly, I could do without it if I had to. I cooked rice on the stovetop and/or pressure cooker for decades... A cooker means you don't have to worry about your grain while you're cooking the rest of the meal. Or you could put porridge in overnight and have it done in the morning. But it uses space on either the counter or under-counter cabinet, it's expensive, and it's just one more thing.

Absolutely necessary: One good 6" or 8" chef's knife (your preference) and one good paring knife, and a steel. Sharpening gear and other knives are optional, although I highly recommend a jig if you plan to try to sharpen them at home.

I love my electric kettles, but I'm still searching for the one I really want. The only ones that incorporate a "thermos" all seem to boil the water first, then let it cool down to your desired temperature. Which takes forever, for one thing, and also, boiling the water at all defeats half the purpose. Right now I'm making do with a basic electric kettle plus separate thermal dispenser.

If you're a wine drinker, you won't regret a nice heavy self-centering corkscrew.

What about laundry accessories? Now that I'm flush with wool, I need another flat drying rack, but I haven't been able to find one... been looking for over a year! Expandable rail-racks are everywhere, flat racks I just can't find.

Pressure cooker, and one of Lorna Sass's great pressure cooker cookbooks.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oak - I have a really nice expandable rail rack with a mesh topper on it for the wool. I got it at Fred Meyers. It's still really only big enough for one large piece of wool like a jersey.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by MartianDestiny View Post
    2) Salt and Pepper grinders. I can't believe how much better things taste with fresh salt and pepper, and if you can get them in bulk it's no more expensive than the pre-ground stuff.
    Oh, most definitely! This one is my favorite!

I like Zen's answer, desk, a chair ...

A small table or coffee table. A small table can do double duty as a desk...

Looking back when I started out: bed, coffee table, couch, small table in the kitchen area and a chair to go with. No toaster oven nor microwave at the time. Those came later. Hodge podge collection of plates bowls, mugs, cups and silverware. Oh and a radio.

I love my Pampered Chef garlic press and my portable space heater and we are the same age, so that should be all that you need

Two complete sets of towels, two sets of sheets. You'll want to strip your bed and remake it, not have to wash the same sheets. Depending on where you live, some kind of vacuum, and get something with good suction.

A good saucepan with lid. I swear I use one size pot most of the time. Some of those "wedding gift" sets are actually pretty good on getting you a soup pot, skillet, and sauce pot. But if you have time, go looking in flea markets and antique shops for cast iron.

Ditto on the cumfy chair, side table, and lamp. My first place, post divorce wasn't much, or well furnished, but I did have exactly that set-up, and it looked nice. Slowly added to it.

I got folding book cases (3 or 4 shelf, hard wood) at Cost Plus World Market. Very useful. I'm not sure if they still have them, or other places (Pier One, Target).

Happy New Home!
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by Flybye View Post
    I love my Pampered Chef garlic press and my portable space heater and we are the same age, so that should be all that you need
    I used to have a Pampered Chef garlic press.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Congrats and best wishes on moving into this new phase! Sounds like you're in a really positive state of mind about it.

Your toaster oven question reminded me of a funny thing my DH said once -- the first time we moved into an apartment that didn't have a built-in microwave over the stove: "Now we can get that toaster oven we always wanted!"

My recommendation: lots of single-portion tupperware (or whatever brand) -- then you can make a lasagna or big pot of stew and make single-size portions for lunch later in the week, or freeze them so that you're not eating the same thing all week.

Some basic tools are nice to have if you're a DIY'er. Hammer, drill, wrenches, etc.

It's great that you want to keep things simple. But another thing you might want to do is allow yourself one or two things that help the new place to feel like home. It's different for everyone. For me, I like to have plants around. I find myself compulsively buying new plants every time I move, even though it's a time to be getting rid of stuff.

Good luck!

household stuff

You don't say if you have house/condo/apt - or how big the space is.

Having just started outfitting a brand new house where all the previous possessions were lost in a fire (along with the house), it's amazing how much stuff you will want that you never thought about. We take so much for granted.

Comfortable furniture - place to read (chairs, couch), work (desk), watch TV, entertain friends - couch, chairs, tables, rugs, curtains/blinds. Bookshelves. Exercise equipment. Bed(s), bedding, blankets, quilts, towels, shower curtain, bath rugs. Dresser, chair for BR. Artwork? Pictures. Alarm clocks. TV, stereo,telephones. Mirrors, lamps for LR and BR. Kitchen and/or Dining tables, chairs, sideboard, china cabinet? Rugs. Kitchen equipment - dishes and serving dishes, salad bowl, pots and pans, skillets, baking equipment - cookie sheets, muffin pan, roasting pan, dish drainer. Whisks, knives, bowls, wooden spoons, can opener, wine opener, knife sharpener, chopsticks, measuring cups (dry and liquid), colanders. Appliances? Coffee maker, toaster oven, mixer, blender, food processor. Obviously this list can go on for a long time.

Basic hand tools - hammer, screwdriver, pliers for basic stuff, more as you need. I'd highly recommend a 2-step step stool or small step ladder.

Think about the things you like to cook, make a list of the implements needed to do so, and let the shopping begin. Somewhere I have a spreadsheet of the things we were buying for the new house - if you think it would be useful PM me and I'll try to find it for you.
    Last edited by withm; 02-14-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks again.

Withm
    - The place I'm moving into is 1000 square feet. The kitchen is generous and that's what's most important to me. The rest I can collect as I need it. Mostly, i just want to start out with a kitchen that I can function well in since my life pretty much consists of work, training, eating and sleeping. Work... well work takes care of that, training... pretty much all set there, eating... working on it, sleeping I'm good except that I'll need a couple of more pillows.

I love your suggestion of making a list of the things that I need to make my favorite meals, that's a fantastic idea.

No need for a TV, haven't had one in years, don't miss it and don't want one. Eventually I will need a comfy chair and couch but those can wait. Meanwhile, I'll read in bed.

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. It does help.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Kitchen: a Revere Ware saucepan with lid, a steamer basket (to fit in the Revere Ware), cast iron one serving skillet, cast iron griddle, Chicago Cutlery cleaver ($14, and i use it for everything!), paring knife, vege peeler, Zyliss garlic press, French Press coffee maker, stove top kettle, stock pot with lid, bamboo cutting board.

I don't have a microwave nor toaster, but I do have a toaster oven which I use quite a lot.

I don't have a TV either, but a radio/CD player with speakers to spread the sound is awfully nice to have.

Rocking chair... how would I manage without my rocking chair? I had the rocking chair before the couch.

Shredder.

S'Knot, the dog, and I live in a 900 sq ft apartment; and I find that having less stuff is better. Too much doesn't seem to make my life any richer, just more cluttered. It doesn't help that I'm terribly disorganized...
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 02-14-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Dog

The dog, the guitar. For kitchen, a cast iron fry pan, a nonstick frying pan, and a big saucepan for doing pasta/rice/whatever. A good paring knife, and a good chef's knife. I have a toaster oven but never use it cause it is too much work to clear the bread, etc off the top.

And at least 4 stacking laundry baskets-every place I have lived, I always started out with one and bought more.

This year, we bought an olive oil pourer and it's been nice to have. We can buy a jug of olive oil, put it in the dark where it wants to be, and use smaller quanties easier.

We also got some flexible cutting board mats - so you can chop and dump into a bowl/pan easier.

We use our Circulon Omelet pan for a lot more than just omelets, it's a nice shape and size. And, for everyday pans, we got some that have strainers built in to the lids - handy to not have to get out the colander all the time for pasta or other things that need to be drained/strained and returned to the pan.

A little toaster oven sounds like an awesome idea. We don't have one here, but my brother loves those little pizzas and I think we might invest in one to save energy.

Freezer space for leftovers, nice tupperware or other freezer storage.