Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

a mouth piece to avoid hipinjuries?

I was watching an interview with Belgian tennis player Kim Clijsters today and I was stunned.

She wears a mouth piece during training and on court. Before her comeback she had a lot of problems with her hip and shoulder. Since she wears that mouth piece she feels a lot more stable while moving and running and has been injury free.

Weird huh?

Very weird; I wonder what the mouthpiece does to make her stability better?

It's probably one of the ones that was featured in the NYT a couple of weeks ago.

<digging around for a link> here it is.

I'm seriously considering one of those, if they can also be used as night guards (and I don't see why not). I have pretty bad jaw alignment/bruxism issues, and I had a night guard that I wore, but it needed pretty frequent adjustment. For other reasons I quit going to the dentist who made it for me and I couldn't find anyone else to adjust it. Eventually it got so far out of adjustment that it was worse for me to wear it than to do without.

I need PT for my feet first... then I'll work on the jaw.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

"In the past I always had continuing hip problems. I got in contact with Jean-Pierre Meersseman from the Milan-lab who tested me. First I had to get used to it, but now I feel really good with it. I feel more stable and my bones react better on the heavy matches and physical trainings. It's a small detail that can make a difference. I'm happy that I could keep it quiet for so long. Strange also, because I thoguht I looked like bulldog. Apparently not"

Rather spendy for most people.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    It sure is...

Here is more...

http://www.makkaradvantage.com/your-sport/tennis/

I don't know how many others here have ridden with Michael of the "Bicycle Inn" fame, but he's kind of a crazy older cycling dude who used to lead rides out of Bakersville, NC and now rides out of Charleston, SC (I believe). He's done the Assault on Mt. Mitchell something like 30 years in a row. He's kind of an odd, crotchedy older guy who can climb mountains on his bike easier than most people can walk to their mailbox.

Anyway, I was climbing with him a few years back and struggling. He kept telling me over and over to just smile. Force my face into a smile and it will open up everything, help me relax, align my upperbody and help my breathing. I did and it did...strangely enough. Maybe he was on to something similiar to the findings here?

I've also heard that touching the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth better opens up the airways and allows more oxygen into your lungs. I've never tried it while cycling, but it might also be part of the same principle.

Interesting stuff.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    But about the same price as a night guard.

Re: opening the airways, I really haven't had any trouble getting oxygen on the bike since I started running but before that, I'd started sticking my tongue out the way the pros do, and it worked wonders. I'd be afraid to try it in a sprint, but it was great for those steep hills!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler