Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Keeping teen girls cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

As I've mentioned, I volunteer at Bikes-not-Bombs. This fall's session of Girls in Action is into its final weeks. The Girls are 11 to 16, and have had self-esteem work-shops, self-defense presentations, health sessions and yoga in addition to the usual earn-a-bike mechanics and ride skill classes. We want to end up with a session about continuing as cyclists, since they are all approaching the age where girls typically stop riding.

Unfortunately, we don't have the budget to take them to Bremen like the girls from Darlington in the short film produced by this group. http://www.bikebeauty.org/

Do you have any ideas on what we can do to keep them involved with BNB or cycling in general?

Would the girls be on facebook? If so, they can set up thier own little private group & keep discussing things.

Can someone send them information on upcoming events etc?

Can they have mentors in the cycling community?

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    It would help that they had someone their age they could cycle with from time to time. Is there an annual fundraising cycling ride for whomever is interested, to "train" towards as a fun goal?

And probably if they had a local parent/aunt or sibling who cycled also. Even the brightest, most motivated girl needs and wants social support at that age, for a solo-oriented sport like cycling.

Suggest the girls might journal their cycling so that they can make observations (anything) and track some mileage if they wished. Or offer a modest prize..for a collective team effort or picnic in late spring to celebrate. A social event to celebrate cycling effort.

ANd great newsmith that you're doing something!
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Might want to correspond with the folks who came up with Girls on the Run. This efforts gets girls into running.

I don't know what they are doing about keeping girls interested in running & fitness in general but they must face the same challenges you are.

The Girls on the Run effort is pretty big in the Northern Virginia area. Their spring 5K race is one of the largest in the area now.

Is there any way to transport them so they could do a ride, like on the Minuteman Trail in the early spring? Maybe plan over the winter for this? I like the Facebook idea.
    I would love to be involved with this...

Thanks, Crankin. It would be great to have you along. Your fashion sense is much better than mine. I sometimes suspect that I'm one of the female cyclists that drive girls away from cycling because of my slobby attire.

Well, my cycling fashion sense is strictly determined by all of the enablers here on TE . And what jerseys come in an x small...
    And don't you commute to JP from your house? That alone would make my hair stand up on end. I never look good after a ride and I always wonder how some people do.
    Seriously, if you plan anything, let me know.

Keep us posted on what you try, and how it works. It sounds like a great program and I'd like to see more like that.

The GetAbout group learned that the Walking School Bus was a hit among elementary kids and a complete flop for middle school kids.

If any of them MIGHT be interested in MAYBE trying a race, I am looking specifically at implementing a program for 10 - 14 year olds, and more specifically, girls, for the coming year as part of our club. Drop me a PM if interested. We have a 12 year old who is racing on our MTB elite team this coming year, and we have a returning Nat'l Champ (who is now 15) on the team...

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

is bike not bombs affiliated in any way with food not bombs? Just curious. I've seen them around my town and at the vegetarian festival here.