Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

If one could live the life of Maidei....worldwide travels, pampered, looked after too while travelling. And free rides too!
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    If one could live the life of Maidei....worldwide travels, pampered, looked after too while travelling. And free rides too!
    Seriously!
    I tried to ask for some career advice, but she was rather secretive...
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

Animaps

Has anyone tried Animaps?

http://www.animaps.com/

This could be a VERY COOL way to track maidei's journey. I set up an account and started a map, but don't have time right now to go back through the posts and enter waypoints and photos. It looks relatively easy to do - I spent a few minutes on it and got it to sort-of work - with a bit of effort it looks like it can do some slick presentations (see the demos).

Any volunteers?

http://www.animaps.com/pb/1065011/24...eis_world_tour
    Jeff Mendenhall
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    Has anyone tried Animaps?

http://www.animaps.com/

This could be a VERY COOL way to track maidei's journey. I set up an account and started a map, but don't have time right now to go back through the posts and enter waypoints and photos. It looks relatively easy to do - I spent a few minutes on it and got it to sort-of work - with a bit of effort it looks like it can do some slick presentations (see the demos).

Any volunteers?

http://www.animaps.com/pb/1065011/24...eis_world_tour
    What a great idea! As one of her former hosts I would be happy to work on this it will take a bit of time but I don't mind.

Maidei arrived in Tucson today, with her box of wonderful travel souvenirs and mementos. I made sure she was snug in my jersey pocket, and we had a late afternoon ride to Saguaro National Park together. Pics coming soon!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Madei is really enjoying her visit to Tucson! She has had morning and evening visits to Saguaro National Park, and came with me to my classroom. The 7th graders really enjoyed finding out about her travels and wanted to have their pictures taken with her.

We have seen a LOT of interesting wildlife so far: A very robust Regal Horned Lizard, Desert Spiny Lizards, Western Whiptails and Lesser Earless Lizards. No snakes though. Today we saw a Gila Monster, hiding under a bush. We've seen loads of birds, including a Harris' Hawk, a migrant Western Tanager, a Broad-billed Hummingbird, and all the common desert species. We also saw 2 sleeping javalinas outside the window of the visitor center at Saguaro NP.

Photos of Madei in Tucson so far- they include (not in order, sorry), getting ready to ride up to Saguaro NP, the entrance to the park, the display at the high point of the loop ride (resting after our 500 foot climb), learning about ecology with some of my students, posing with me and Dogmama from TE, who happened to join the Zona Cycling group ride today, and the picture of the Gila Monster. Madei was a little scared, and didn't want to pose with the Glia Monster ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0384.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	14463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	14464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	14465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	14466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	14467  

I've started figuring out the Animaps interface, it is a cool toy to play with....errrrr....I mean a good tool with which to map Maidei's adventures

It is slow going though, especially in Australia. There isn't any way to search for the location other than panning to the area you need. So I go to Google maps to figure out where something is in Australia, then pan and zoom to find it. She has traveled a lot, it would be interesting to figure out just how many miles she has traveled over the years!

How funny you mentioned that- one of my cycling friends asked me about that on the ride today! She has already gone over 85 miles with me.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    What a great idea to let the students in on Maidei's trip. Good to see you and Dogmama!

Lots of lizard types in your area.

Catrin, you have alot of patience to plough through previous entries to figure out Maidei's journey. Look forward to seeing the map, even if it's only 1-2 countries at the beginning.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Here is a link to more photos from Madei's 2nd visit to Saguaro National park. My DH took these. The Saguaros are in full bloom and the Palo Verde trees are past their peak but still full of yellow blossoms. The last pictures are from the Audubon Birdathon awards/barbecue (which Madei did not attend).

https://picasaweb.google.com/1117972...17838570553154

Maidei took her last two rides with me. On Weds, May 16, we did the Ride of Silence in Tucson. About 100 riders followed a 10 mile circuit in honor of those who have suffered loss of life or injury due to crashes with vehicles on the road. We rode to the start and came home as it was getting dark, but with plenty of lights.

Today, May 20, we did an ascent up the lower part of Mount Lemmon, to about 4200 feet Molino Basin. It was just high enough to get out of the lower Sonoran Desert and into the lowest oak trees, yuccas and grass of the upper Sonoran Desert. We just didn't have time to ride up into the pine forest higher up. We got a bit of a late start- almost 7:30 am and it was pretty warm climbing up the mountain. Coming down was delicious- over 30 mph for most of the way to the base. We met my DH at the cafe for iced mocha and a pastry.

The photos are in the wrong order: on the right is Maidei at the Babad Duag overlook, about 3 miles up and 3300 feet elevation, then at 4000 feet, and the left hand picture is our final stop at Molino Basin, under the oaks but sunny grassy hillsides are in the background- about 4300 feet. Last pic- Maidei enjoying the cyclists hangout and part of my iced mocha at Le Buzz Cafe at the base of the mountain.
    I'll be sending Maidei on her way this week to her next destination with Melalvai in Missouri.

Name:	photo 36.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	14489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 37.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	14490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 38.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	14491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maidei at Le Buzz.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	14492  
    Last edited by azfiddle; 05-20-2012 at 10:22 AM.

It is going to take me quite some time to get Maidei's photos/journey on Animaps. If anyone wants to help out let me know. It is fun, but a slow process... just send me a PM if you want to help out and we can decide the best way to do this.

This is the cutest thing ever!!!
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

We gave Maidei her very last ride with us on Sunday- 68 miles south of Tucson to Sahuarita and back. She (and I) posed for a picture at a sign that could be interpreted as a "flat-fixing zone" (or an upside down bike route sign). She enjoyed great looks at a pair of Gray Hawks that must be nesting in the pecan orchards there.

Maidei is heading out to Missouri now for new adventures!

Name:	FlatZoneWarning.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	14541