Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

I ended up not wearing a bra yesterday - just a tight fitting stretchy wicking tank top under a wicking tee and an underarmour long sleeved shirt. I probably couldn't do that in warmer weather, though! But it did solve the chafing problem. I have a two inch surgery scar on my ribcage right at the base of my looloo and so bras are a real problem for me. Let me know if you find a real comfy one.
    I can do five more miles.

Results are online.

My official race time was 2:09:56. 85th of 288 in my age group. (313th of 1241 overall.) But they don't separate out runners and walkers, so it's really impossible to know.

I still can't believe I averaged 9:55/mile. No wonder I'm so sore today!!
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Yay Susan!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    Sherwood?

Seriously, you went & raced cross after that? Wow. I went to lunch. Then, I went home, had a shower, and went for high tea in town with friends. (Did you know we have a fabulous kiwi-owned tea house in pdx?)
    Yep. I went to Sherwood. I'm totally addicted to cross! I'm trying to figure out a way to get out to Astoria both days *and* go trick or treating with my kids *and* not drive my husband completely crazy.

I finished in 2:11:30. Faster than I thought. I'm very very sore today. Stairs are not my friend. But I'm already getting ready for the next race. Sign ups for the Hippie Chick half open on November 1st (and close in about 8 hours). Maybe I'll actually train for this one...

I didn't know about the tea house. Can you PM me the name? I have a birthday coming up and that sounds like a fabulous thing to do with all my girlfriends!

Congrats again to everyone!!! Big weekend!

Great job on the weekend's races ladies. I love to read race reports - especially from 1st timers. We all need that extra inspiration to keep us motivated.

Wow, you ladies did AMAZING. All around 10 minute miles. Woot! There's no shame in happy tears, either.

I did a 14-mile long run (and thought of all you half marathoners) yesterday. It was an off day for me. It took about 2:25. My hips didn't have the right range of motion and felt abnormally stiff (today I had a MEGA adjustment at the chiropractor of both hips, lower back, and pelvis). Thankfully it was pretty symmetric. My shoulder felt pretty good, though, I had a massage in the middle of last week.

I have been calling my 10-week marathon plan the Church of the Triathlete Marathon Series (since I always do long runs/rides on Sundays, we joke and call it Church). Each week I post (as my facebook status) what my run was, and then I post a mantra for the week. Because I had an off week this week, I tried to shake it off and post something positive. I actually think about it during my run, and try it on myself. I have had a lot of problems seeing myself as an athlete, a triathlete, a runner, fit, healthy, all of those things. I decided to shake them off, and repeat to myself: I am a runner. I am fit. I am an athlete. I am healthy. I am awesome. I advised everyone reading to try it for themselves, and that even if we think we aren't as fast or strong as someone else or we think we have so far to go (speed, weight, or fitness), sometimes we have to look inside ourselves and leave those things behind.

Recover well, racers!

Nice post colby That was great!

Congrats ladies! These are really great reports!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    I have had a lot of problems seeing myself as an athlete, a triathlete, a runner, fit, healthy, all of those things.

Nice post, Colby!

I've come around to seeing myself as athletic, but not as a runner. That's something I've been thinking about quite a bit lately. I passed up some pretty cute slogan T-shirts at the pre-race expo this weekend because I didn't feel I "deserved" to wear them. (My favorite: "My sport is your sport's punishment." )

But if I'm not a "real runner" after running 13.1 miles faster than 3,000 other women this weekend, when will I be? When I no longer have to drag myself out for a training run, but anticipate them eagerly? (If that's the criterion, it may never happen. ) When I can win my age group in a field that large? (Definitely not going to happen. ) What's the impossible standard I'm setting for myself?

What did it take for the rest of you to think of yourselves as real runners ... or do we all struggle with that?
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-22-2009 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Nice post, Colby!

I've come around to seeing myself as athletic, but not as a runner. That's something I've been thinking about quite a bit lately. I passed up some pretty cute slogan T-shirts at the pre-race expo this weekend because I didn't feel I "deserved" to wear them. (My favorite: "My sport is your sport's punishment." )

But if I'm not a "real runner" after running 13.1 miles faster than 3,000 other women this weekend, when will I be? When I no longer have to drag myself out for a training run, but anticipate them eagerly? (If that's the criterion, it may never happen. ) When I can win my age group in a field that large? (Definitely not going to happen. ) What's the impossible standard I'm setting for myself?

What did it take for the rest of you to think of yourselves as real runners ... or do we all struggle with that?
    Obviously, I still do, and I have for a long time. I bought one finisher item when I finished my first Ironman, only because I couldn't wear the official finisher t-shirt (it was too big and I finished so late they didn't have a smaller size). It was a struggle. I wasn't a REAL Ironman, it took me more than 16 hours, and I had only finished one of them. It was a fluke, surely. After the second one, I reluctantly bought more things... two means the first wasn't a fluke, but I would never call myself a triathlete (I was an Ironman, but not a triathlete, somehow those are two different things).

It's taken me a couple of years to turn around and look at myself without carrying so much of the baggage of who I was. The questions people ask of me, the way people describe my body (describing me as "athletic" or commenting about some muscle somewhere), seeing pictures of myself in race after race and not just seeing what's wrong with yourself. I won't lie that seeing myself getting faster helps mentally (to be "average" even means that there are more "athletes" like me than not like me). Looking at the statistics helps, too - you finished that race with 3,000 women, and there are thousands of women that finish them every year... but there are MILLIONS of women in the US. If you're not a runner doing something that 1% or 5% or even 10% or 20% of women do... what are you? You can only think of yourself as a fluke for so long...

For me, seeing myself as an athlete, a runner, a triathlete, all of those things, is just another body image problem. I honestly don't know what standard I'm holding myself to, either. Some imaginary superwoman, apparently.

Just got my picture of the finish. That's me in the hi-viz cap:

Maybe if I hadn't been having so much fun I would've made up those 42 seconds. But then.... I wouldn't have had so much fun!

I still struggle with that. It always amazes me to hear people who run 7, 8 or 9 minute miles talk about being frustrated with what they call their "slow speed." I know it's all relative - we all have our own abilities to work with and our own personal goals, but I would be absolutely thrilled to run a mile in less than 10 minutes. I usually don't even mention my times for running - I just try to set my own personal goals and enjoy the run regardless of what everyone else is doing. When all's said and done, though, I'm usually in the bottom 10-20% at any running event.

Isn't it said that only 2% of the world's population can run a mile? I've done a half marathon, but when someone asks me if I'm a runner I usually hem-haw and end up saying something like "yeah, I like to run." (Please don't ask about time/speed - you're expecting to be impressed but . . . ) Oh, and I have one of those shirts that says "My sport is your sport's punishment." I ordered it when I was having a "yes, I do "deserve this" day. Then I showed to it my husband and he frowned - and it shouldn't get to me, but it kind of did. I do wear it sometimes, though.

Just got my picture of the finish. That's me in the hi-viz cap:

Maybe if I hadn't been having so much fun I would've made up those 42 seconds. But then.... I wouldn't have had so much fun!
    If it would have cost you that awesome picture, it wouldn't be worth it

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I often don't feel like a real runner either--I'm not very fast, I seldom enter races, I get bored just running on the roads for too long without mixing things up, and I don't do super-long distances. That's why I was surprised when I went on a run with my neighbor from upstairs and she said I seemed like "more of a real runner" than her--we were running some laps around a local park, and I was the one jumping over benches, zigzagging around trees and doing other random shenanigans while she was mostly just running. It was weird to be described as a "real" runner when I don't necessarily think of myself that way.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

All of your posts inspired me; after my run last Friday, I had a variety of issues, bunion rubbing and blister starting, even with Body Glide and Tekko socks, a very bad case of DOMS, and a knee feeling a little cranky (that might have been helped by my very hilly ride last Sunday). The hip was OK, hurt a little, but it was the least of my worries. So, I ran again today, with a very long stretching session afterwards, along with the foam roller. Then I went to the LRS and got new shoes; ones that have a wide toe box and have no seam or thing that's attached to rub my bunion. Since the bunion is not that big compared to others I have seen, I hope this will alleviate the issue.
    My run today was 3 miles of rollers, with a little walking. The running part was probably 2.2 miles, because I had to warm up/cool down. But, I was dressed right for 39 degrees and I really enjoy running in the cold. I am still not using the Garmin, because I want to concentrate on just feeling comfortable and distance for awhile. The speed will come (well, back to a 10 minute mile).
    I will probably run again tomorrow, in between the rain storms. Want to try out the new shoes.