Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Plateau for a month: suggestions?

For a year or so, I did nothing but split a little wood and mow my lawn. Then, 3 months ago, I started strength training with a trainer and doing basic cardio (with some intensity) on the machines, with a little riding. I lost about 16 pounds in the first 2.5 months. Feeling good, doing well.

For the past month, I have not lost any weight. I still strength train 3xWeek, getting stronger. Still doing about the same cardio, with intensity. Still writing down everything I eat, counting calories, fat, carbs and protein grams. Doing pretty well with eating, I think.

Have only done the "impulse" body fat test, but it tells me my body fat is increasing, which I do not buy, because I am thinner, AND I can see and feel more muscles on my body than when I started. I am stronger.

Suggestions for busting through this plateau? I have about 20-25 more pounds to lose. THanks for any help. (I searched "plateau" but couldn't find a dedicated thread?)
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

First of all - congrats on the loss...that's awesome!

To break your plateau - you need to change something. Either pick a different type of intense cardio or change your diet. Or both.

For cardio, you can either keep the same intensity but change the action (like go from running to spinning or from biking to step aerobics, etc) or you can change the intensity. If you are doing a lot of steady state high intensity cardio - try intervals once a week. If you are already doing intervals, try throwing in a long, low intensity workout one day.

For diet - maybe switch out some of the types of veggies you eat, or perhaps eat more. Or if you get most of your protien from chicken, try using more fish. Small changes within the framework of what is already working for you should help.

Or...you may just have to wait it out. Sometimes the body needs to hang out at a certain level for awhile. If you are consistent with what you are doing and you are creating a deficit, eventually the weight has to come off. The question becomes, can you wait it out? (I never seem to have the patience, myself! )
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Hey GLC, good to "see" you! Hope you guys are still enjoying OR!

So...you think that changing types of things I eat...even if the calories stay the same and it is all just different healthy stuff...helps? This is a new idea for me. (Which is why I posted this thread! Thanks...and please elaborate.)
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Well - it might help. I mean, the protein and fats in chicken are different than the protein and fats in fish...so the end result is that your body has to work at it a little differently. Same holds true for say leafy greens vs broccoli all the time. Or quinoa vs oats, or goats milk vs cows milk . It may not be enough of a change to matter, but it certainly can't hurt - and the variety might do your body good. Also, I assume that you are measuring everything? I do know of quite a few women who got 'stuck' and found out through measuring that they'd let their calories/portions creep up.

I assume that your weight routine is predetermined by your trainer, right? Have you asked them their opinion? Honestly, for me, changing up my weight training was the best way to shake plateaus but I figured that wasn't an option with your current routine.

And 'hi' back! I'm glad to see you still here - perhaps we'll get a chance to finally meet and ride together next summer??

I think it makes sense what you say about foods, and I think maybe I have gotten sloppy with measuring.

The weight routine changes a lot. I really like this trainer...all kinds of weird things all the time. He pushes me, watches my form, and we vary it a lot.

I am going to try what you suggested with the foods, and I think I might split the cardio into 2xDay a few days/week.

And, maybe we will meet? I could see coming down for a ride in OR next year. I can't decide what my goal should be for next summer. Have you kept riding continuously? I have only ridden my bike a couple times this year.

Yeah, my riding dropped off significantly when we moved out here. It's pretty pathetic compared to previous years. I've also gained a bunch of weight - so I need to take some of my own advice and buckle down. I really struggled with riding this summer because I was so heavy. I started loathing hills and they used to be my favorite part!

My only definite goal for next summer is to do the Crater Lake Century. Other than that, I can't really justify training for long rides because we now have a farm to worry about. I just can't take that much time for training anymore. But,this winter I am working on getting back into shape, dropping the extra weight, commuting when I can....all with the goal of being ready to RIDE again come next spring!