Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

50 miles + Golden Eagle sighting

To disable ads, please log-in.

I rode 50 miles today. I'm so proud of myself. It took me four hours and three minutes - no speed records here today, but by golly, I went 50-freakin'-miles. Yeah, baby.

DH is doing the Tour of Poway Century next Sunday, but I did a half-century today. I'm really happy with that.

And the super bonus was, along about mile 35, I thought I heard an eagle scream. It pierced through the voices in my head. I don't listen to music or anything while I ride. I like to hear what's going on around me, but the voices in my head usually keep me quite entertained. Today, though, I heard that scream. I looked up, nothing. I listened carefully. Nothing. I had just about convinced myself my brain had pulled up some random memory because the only eagles I know of around here are in the zoo. Then I heard it again, and it was even louder. It sounded just like something off of Wild Kingdom.

I still didn't see it, though, but now I was looking for it. I rounded the next little peninsula and there it was, a California Golden Eagle riding the thermals and circling up the hillside looking for prey. I've been riding here for nearly a dozen years and I've never seen an eagle here.

My god, they really do glow gold when the sun hits them just right. It was the most beautiful creature I've ever seen. I stopped and watched it for several minutes until it flew away over the hill, out of my sight. I tried to tell the couple of walkers who passed me on the trail, but neither of them seemed interested in why I was standing there astride my bike, gawking skyward.

Many, many years ago we were camping in the mountains and I was up early, sharing my morning campfire with a curious crow, or maybe it was a raven. It was a big black bird. He hopped around looking for bugs or whatever it is big black birds do in the early morning, and then he jumped up on a log across the campfire from me, turned his back to me and spread his wings as if he were posing, and just at that second, the sun broke over the treeline behind me and it turned his feathers to shiny pewter. He stayed like that for several seconds, still, like a pewter statue. I knew in that instant how the Native Americans could turn wild creatures like this into gods.

I saw a raven turn into a pewter statue then, and I saw an eagle turn into gold in the sky today.

When I got home and got cleaned up, DH took me and DD out for lunch, then we drove the century route (just the first 60 miles, actually), so he'd be familiar with it next week. We marked where the 7-11s are, in case he needs to stop for ice or water.

I'm not sure what was more exciting, burning 3,000 calories in one day or seeing that eagle.

It was a good, good day.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    I turned his back to me and spread his wings as if he were posing, and just at that second, the sun broke over the treeline behind me and it turned his feathers to shiny pewter. He stayed like that for several seconds, still, like a pewter statue. I knew in that instant how the Native Americans could turn wild creatures like this into gods.

I saw a raven turn into a pewter statue then, and I saw an eagle turn into gold in the sky today.

Roxy
    It's like you saw..poetry. May that image burn brightly and high forever for you.

That is a fantastic sight you described for us.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Good for you on the 50mi! I can recall thinking the same thing when I hit my first 50... "hey, that's half a century!". It's really motivating to watch the mileage flip over on the bici pc. Hope your DH's century goes well.

Thank you both.

I remember when five miles seemed far. I'm feeling it today, but I can hardly believe I rode 50 miles. A metric century isn't too far away.

Now, how do I ride only 20 miles and consider it still a workout? I remember when I was doing 20 regularly and thinking that if I only had time for five miles, it was hardly worth getting the bike out of the car. Now that I know I can do 50, will 20 ever be enough?

Hmmm...and at what point do you require an intervention?

Roxy

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Congrats, Roxy!!! I remember when you were worried about riding 20.
    Sounds like a beautiful ride!! I can't believe you got to see that Golden Eagle- amazing. Way to go on a great ride! You'll be at that century mark before you know it.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Smile

CONGRATS! WOOO HOOOO! ! ! ! !
    Me too actually - I rode 54 miles yesterday a first! My previous best was 42 . . .

I went to North Little ROck to RIde in the Big Dam Bridge 100 ( They offer a 15, 30, 50, metric & Imperial century.) I rode the 50 with Pscyclepath. ( also known as my big brother) To congratulate me & my ride he bought me lunch, a new bike computer & a spare tire & tube.

Props to Boo!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Yeah, I'm pretty amazed on all accounts. I can't wait to do it again next weekend. I joined the Y, too, so my weekday workouts include swimming and the elliptical trainer, but I'll write about that in another thread.

Roxy

Good stuff... this is why we do it.. this is what it's all about!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

Congrats on your long ride... it is an accomplishment to be pround of! Tina

Congrats on you long ride.
    Guess what?! I, too, saw a bald eagle riding thermals up high at teh end of my 40 mile ride on Sat. Must of been a good biking and eagle sighting weekend!
    katluvr