Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Down Pillows?

Down Pillows?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I don't know what it is, but whenever there's a new boy who seems special I feel compelled to buy new sheets. This one though, woo despite everything being off the charts awkward has compelled me to purchase new pillows. So I want to splurge and buy down because I loooove being poked in the face with quills.

Unfortunately I need at least 4 because I'm a 2 pillow side/tummy sleeping girl and 3 is just weird. I started looking but there are terms I don't understand. Like thread count I get, but what is pct? And what about down alternatives? Ooooh, can I get a down body pillow too? I loooove my body pillow. I sleep wrapped around that bad boy all night! Help!
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

sleep

I know very little about down pillows but I just wanted to say may you have wonderful smurfalicious dreams with them Just like bert

Great, now I have Sesame Street reruns in my head

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Smurf,
    Congratulations on your new relationship!

One thought though- have you checked with him about him possibly being allergic to down pillows?- lots of people are I know.
    With down pillows, you also need a good quality high thread count zipper liner inside the regular pillowcase. Tiny feathers have a way of working themselves out.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have pet birds. I still can't sleep on down pillows - one night and my face blows up.
    the best down pillows out there, though, in my brother's opinion are from Landsend, I believe these are them (be prepared for sticker shock, make sure you are sitting down...)
    http://www.landsend.com/pp/UltimateG...05__0000000263

My brother made me buy him one to have at my house or he wouldn't visit me.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

I have been extremely happy with my Northern Nights pillows and comforter. Warm and cozy and very little quill to face issues + normally on sale for reasonable prices.

Grandma has always gotten mine off QVC, I think you may be able to get them elsewhere though?

As for what means what...can't help ya, sorry.

They do make "allergy" versions of down pillows. I love mine. And I am a two pillow sleeper person too. Mine are king sized.

Think I just bought them at a department store w/a home outlet. Somethin somethin 'euro' feather pillow. My allergy doc said it's not the feather people are allergic to... it's what grows on the feather. Feather pillows can wash up nice too with some tennis balls in the dryer to fluff. Don't air dry--then you will have moldy feathers. Ick.

Well, if you got two king sized pillows like mine... two heads could fit on one pillow snuggled close together. Just a money saving idea for you.

Down alternative is probably a fluffy polyester.

pct is a bit of a mystery to me.

I think it probably is NOT Primary Care Trust, as in "Primary Care Trust supports Sexual Health Week 'Pillow Talk' Campaign.

Also probably not Pacific Coast Trail (although Google finds bloggers talking about what pillow they used while on that PCT).

PCT has something to do with patents. Here's a list of patents related to pillows (!)
    http://www.professorpatents.com/pillows.htm

Here's another link about patents:
    http://www.cbr.gov.pk/newcu/data/Sea...extDesc=covers

Google also found a link to this thread.

Oh- and if you really want to be poked in the face with quills, be sure to get a low thread count. Feathers will poke more effectively than down too, because down hasn't got quills really, just fluff.

pct

I would have thought PCT was percent. As in 60% goose down, 40% something else? How was the term used in the labeling that prompted the question?

Quote Originally Posted by smurfalicious View Post
    I don't know what it is, but whenever there's a new boy who seems special I feel compelled to buy new sheets. ... Ooooh, can I get a down body pillow too? I loooove my body pillow. I sleep wrapped around that bad boy all night! Help!
    Wait, why do you want a body pillow again?

Fall down six times, get up seven.
    My Blog/Journal: Fat Athlete

Down is sold in different weights, and the heavier ones with the highest thread-count covers are more expensive. I recently got a down side-sleeper, and I'm really happy with it. I think you and I sleep in a similar way. The side sleeper is more box-shaped than a regular pillow, a little thicker and supports your neck better. It came with a washable outer case, which is a really great feature. I happen to still have the plastic case it came in, which is why I know it's 600 threadcount and 600 fill. It was an investment. I think it was around $80. That particular store often sends counpons in the mail, so it could have been a lot cheaper had I waited for one.

I have washed my old down pillows and dried with tennis balls in the drier which keeps the down from bunching up in one spot. I have also just put them in the drier on low heat to fluff them up, and that works well. They do just break down after a while and get pancake flat. This new one came with a 12 year warranty, but of course I didn't save the receipt. Oops.

Good luck with the new boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    They do make "allergy" versions of down pillows.
    If it turns out he's allergic, I just wouldn't trust that, myself. I know they've got tight thread counts and plastic coatings and yada yada yada...

but waking up with paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea once in my life - the last time I slept in a down sleeping bag - was not something I ever, ever, ever want to repeat thankyouverymuch.

But anyway, allergic or not, good luck with the new boy.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

what I want to know is with down pillows and duvets, are the birds killed for the down, or is it the remnants of birds killed for food?

Anyways, I do sleep on down at the moment, and believe it or not, I got it from Ikea ("Pinje", I believe). $20 and the best pillow for a side sleeper by far!