Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 51 of 133 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

note to self: do not ride bike through on alumni weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Fredwina View Post
    note to self: do not ride bike through on alumni weekend

That sounds like an interresting story.

Um. can somebody in Eastern WA tell me who ordered this crappy weather? I'm really getting sick of it and because of it. Had to rinse my sinuses out after I got to work this AM. and Seriously, I thought my 8year old was going to get nocked off his bike this morning from that wind! GRRR!
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Took the mountain bike today. I'm tired of all the potholes. I enjoyed the smoother ride. Those big tires just roll over anything. Still smiling!

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

Headwind, rain, tailwind, more rain, headwind, rain.......
    Sheesh, the wind kept changing direction! And the rain kept coming - sure was good to get home!

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

Just getting ready for my commute, and pumping my tires, discovered I have a slow leak. Good thing I could hear it! Taking my other bike, which is probably a better idea anyway since there's a chance of rain this evening. Looks pretty hot out.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    This morning's ride was the first of the year where I did not need to wear arm warmers, leg warmers or a vest of any sort. 65 degrees (18 C) and STICKY. Blech.

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    This morning's ride was the first of the year where I did not need to wear arm warmers, leg warmers or a vest of any sort. 65 degrees (18 C) and STICKY. Blech.
    Agree...blech. I was soaking wet when I got to work.

Since May is National Bike Month, I've been making a real effort to ride my bike more places. I work from home most days, and the days I go into the office, it's an 85 mile commute each way . . . so I don't bike to work.

BUT . . . I have been taking the kids to daycare on the bike, doing errands, getting groceries, running to the bank, etc. It's been enjoyable and the kids really love it. It's a great way to start their morning and its nice for us to have that time together before daycare/work.

This morning's ride was great. No wind. which was fantastic after yesterday's storm. Most drivers are great. Except for mr so and so in a green hummer. I'd like to give him a piece of my mind. I was doing 13.5 mph in a 15mph zone in a round about and the jerk actually passed me! UM. I can saftly bet he doesn't pass other cars who are going the speed limit on the round a bouts! Thinking about writing a letter to the editor since it's national bike month about safety on the roads for all users. Yes I was using hand signals. Yes he was drinking a beverage and talking on the phone. GRRR. But in defense of other drivers here, Most are great.
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Back in the saddle again. Yesterday was a day I REALLY Didn't want to ride. but that means I have to ride for the rest of the week, as I am a team captain for bike to work month!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Yesterday I got wet going to work. It rained about 1/4 of the way. Luckily I did put my rain gear on so that when I got to work I wasn't all muddy. I just had to be careful on the last hill because I was starting to overheat and so I took it slower instead of arriving at work all clammy.
    For my return trip, no rain, but no headlight either. It was still plugged in to my charger at home. I carry a backup headlamp, but it fell off my helmet and smashed all over the place. Since I ride the same route every day, I knew where all the potholes were. My biggest concern was if there was a dead animal in the dark areas. At least I still had my taillight so drivers behind me could see me.
    All and all though it was a good day.
    But then again, I think that just about any day I get to ride is a good day.

Angry I came within a foot of losing my life.

This is the second time in the past 2 weeks that I have almost been intentionally run over. And on both occasions, it happened at the same intersection - right in front of the building where I work. About 2 years ago, the Washington, D.C. Department of Transportation changed one of the lanes in front of our building and it created a dangerous situation for anyone who is trying to cross the street. Instead of having a center lane that goes straight, they changed it so the center lane can also turn left. When they turn left, they are flying down a hill and turning into pedestrians or cyclists. It's a blind spot for them. But even so, it's a crosswalk for pedestrians. I had 31 seconds to cross the street. I was going slowly and cautiously. I saw that a car across the street was going straight so I figured that I had enough time to cross since it would surely slow down the traffic that was turning. I was in the intersection and both lanes that were turning were coming right at me. I guess I panicked. I went to stop and I was trying to unclip but I was looking over my shoulder to my right -watching the cars that were bearing down on me and I guess in a defensive move, my body twisted to the left (as if I was trying to avoid being hit). And of course, I fell. So I'm sprawled on a Washington, D.C. street during rush hour traffic. One of the cars stopped but at least 2 other cars flew by me - AS I WAS LYING ON THE ROAD! I am frazzled - to say the least. I want my agency to make a formal complaint. I'm not sure if it should be to the Dept. of Transportation or even the Mayor. Since he's a cyclist, maybe he would be a little sympathetic. We've seen car accidents and at least once, we saw a woman get hit by a car. The last time it happened (less than 2 weeks ago), I was crossing and the guy picked up speed and again was bearing down on me and when he went by, the passenger yelled, "Yeah!" And it was supposed to be a calm commute home...

(((pfunk)))! Are you okay? How's your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    (((pfunk)))! Are you okay? How's your bike?
    My bike is okay - thank goodness. I have a scratch/bruise on my knee but I'm just really upset. There have been times when I have crossed the street with co-workers and I have actually felt like I have had to protect some of the older women so they wouldn't get hit. That's how bad that intersection is. Thanks for asking!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by pfunk12 View Post
    Instead of having a center lane that goes straight, they changed it so the center lane can also turn left. When they turn left, they are flying down a hill and turning into pedestrians or cyclists. It's a blind spot for them. But even so, it's a crosswalk for pedestrians. ...
    That sounds just like the intersection by my building in Silver Spring. Cars routinely come bombing through the (often red) light to make that left - right into crossing pedestrians. Just today, an Escape did it, and squealed to a stop just inches from a line of pedestrians (and me), and of course, grid-locked the intersection for traffic going straight, until the pedestrians cleared out and he could finish running that red.

That does sound like a horrible scene for you - and for all your fellow employees. You should take it to your building manager and see about filing a complaint. If no one says anything, they'll assume it's okay...until someone gets killed.

Glad you are for the most part okay. Scary way to start the ride home. <<<<safe rides>>>