Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 104 of 133 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 1989

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've seen all kinds of things on the bike path to work, goats, fisher cats, turtles, but today a first; a really, really tiny horse, smaller than my friend's husky. He had a bunch of little kids around him, so I didn't stop to pet him, but he made my commute.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I had a total dork sighting today.

Going home, on a wide 4 lane ave, one of the most busy West Valley N/S streets. Actually has a bike lane in some spots, and a bike 'route' (unmarked) for the rest. I'm minding my own business heading south, when I hear someone behind me shouting something- before I can react, he buzzes by just inches from me. A cyclist (real bottom of the gene pool BTW) blew by me so fast I did a double take. I was doing maybe 18mph. Turns out, he was hitching a ride to a pickup truck with one of those plumber type rear ends that has built in tool compartments and a metal frame for putting ladders/pipes above. Just holding on to one of the rear frame tubes, going 40mph.

He almost hit me, that's why he was yelling. I could not make out what he was saying (probably 'move over' or similar). I only had a moment to react, glad I did not veer left. Yep, bottom of the gene pool.

Other than that, it was a great, but hot 100f ride. Made good time. Glad to be on my bike decompressing as it was broken Blackberry day. I hate fixing those things, their server software sucks. Makes Exchange look good. Having a Director breathing down your neck for updates on it just adds to the fun. By the time I reach the house, all that tension is gone. Wonderful.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

I was interviewed for a Missouri Livable Streets promotional video today. They met us in the park that is on my way home, it's also on my daughter's way home from school. A girl who was waiting for her mom to pick her up was watching us. I think she was bored. She talked to us in between shoots. During the last interview, the girl found a tiny gray fuzzy kitten, but she was afraid to touch it because it hissed at her. (She was about 13, and had never had a kitten before, so she didn't realize it can't really hurt her.) The sound man used to work in an animal shelter and he "rescued" it for her. She said her mom has been talking about getting a cat. After we were done filming I dashed home and got some cat food for her. Just in case mom doesn't want to go to the store tonight, they can soak the food in water or milk for the kitten. It was just a little thing, the sound man & I thought maybe 6 weeks old.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I commuted today for just the 5th time this year, first since mid July. Now that my tri's are done for the year I hope to get in more commutes before the weather turns ugly.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I've been doing yoga every chance I can get to work on straightening and strengthening my spine, so I haven't been on my bike much. It's a real pain to get to the yoga studio by bike and I have to go straight to/from work. I got back on my bike yesterday and today. Boy have I missed riding! I didn't realize how much. I'm starting to figure out a schedule that will allow for both.

Deb

Now I just have to remember where I put my headlight/charger. Last night was almost dark by the time I got home. Where did the summer go??!
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

I'm trying to do a No Car October thing. In the past, I've proudly gotten groceries by bike using my trailer. But for the last year and a half, my husband has been doing the house-husband thing and decided that groceries is his purview. I'm not quite ready to relinquish control entirely, so I've been accompanying him on the Saturday morning grocery trips which he does by car. The grocery store is only 1/2 mile away and it seems ridiculous to drive!

Today I told him we'd have to come up with something different. I was willing to fetch the groceries by myself, or let him fetch them, or meet him there (if he drove). He said he was thinking about letting me bring the groceries home in my bike trailer, but walking to the store to meet me. (He doesn't like to bike.) But, he said, he wasn't looking forward to that long of a walk. (I know, it's not a long walk at all! But it is to him!)

I suggested our daughter walk with him, to keep him company, plus there are a couple items she had put on the list and this way she could pick those out herself.

So off they went. After I got the plastic tub strapped to the trailer, the trailer hitched to the bike, the trailer tires aired up, and my bike tires topped off while I had the pump out-- they had already gotten to the grocery store. Of course I had the list, so they just had to wait for me. But, it's only a half mile, so they didn't have to wait long!

We got the groceries and I biked home and they walked home, and I had barely gotten the trailer unloaded and put away when they came in.

After lunch we planned to go bowling. We haven't been to the bowling alley since we moved up here. I knew it was close, but not sure exactly where. We checked it on google maps, it was 0.7 miles. We decided to walk--carrying our Harley Davidson bowling balls and our shoes we'd gotten from a couple leagues we did shortly before we moved up here, but we've never had a chance to use them. Turns out, google was confused about where the bowling alley was. It had us turn right when we should have turned left. The bowling alley is actually 0.4 miles from us, but we walked 2 miles total, carrying the bowling balls the whole way!

My best game today was 135, which for me is really really good.

The last time I did a No Car month, in 2007, my husband ended up driving more because he took care of getting our daughter to swim practice, clarinet lessons, etc. Where we've moved is so small that she can and does bike to all those things now, so I didn't think my No Car month would affect him much. I am really surprised, and happy, that he is choosing to walk more because of it!

Great job, Mel! I hope your dh learns to love walking. It's the perfect form of exercise.

My grocery store is about the same distance as yours, and I usually walk there. I HATE driving there, and do so only on really rare occasions, maybe a few times per year. I ride once in a while, when I have to buy a lot. I usually shop every day or so, so walking is just easier if the bags are light.

Slacker on wheels.

Two weeks in a row! Woo hoo!
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    A milled road surface awaiting fresh pavement claimed the life of my rear taillight tonight. . The light was permanently mounted to the rear rack and the mount busted. I hope my LBS has something in it's spare parts bin so I can jury-rig a fix for it.
    Last edited by 7rider; 10-06-2011 at 05:34 AM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Last night the wind was so intense, I actually thought for a brief second that I'd have to stop and walk. I didn't, but it crossed my mind. It wasn't even close to the worst wind I'd ridden in, but it was just so steady and unwavering; flags whipping like they were on a fast moving ship, without a break to be had. In a few months, I'll be used to it again. Summer spoiled me. Hello fall.

The morning ride had a tailwind, and that was most fun.

Slacker on wheels.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I FINALLY commuted this morning. Of the last 7 weeks of school, I've only commuted a handful of times (too busy training for IM to "waste" 45 minutes commuting).
    Ummm... I forgot EVERYTHING! I took most of my commuting stuff home a month ago to clean it/refresh the supply since I wasn't commuting. I forgot to pack it all back in my pannier. I'm definitely out of routine!
    "Brushed" my hair with a fork (forgot the comb and brush at home).
    "Brushed" my teeth with my finger and toothpaste.
    Applied "make-up" using some old lipstick as blush and an old eyeliner pencil I found in a drawer.
    Wearing my cycling knickers (with large chamois) as tights since those are sitting on my dresser.

Silly me. I already sent myself an e-mail at home to remind me to PACK EVERYTHING BACK UP and bring it back to work.

And Red- the wind is wicked here today, too. Sustained at 25, gusting to 40.
    I just hope it stays out of the south so I can have a tailwind heading home.
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 10-06-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Didn't the Little Mermaid do that?

We've had an unbelievably long spell of unbelievably beautiful weather. The trees are turning amazing colors, and flowers are still blooming everywhere. Northeast Missouri is not known for mild weather. Summers are hot and humid, winters are bitterly cold, winds are strong and frequent, storms are inconsiderate, floods make basements impractical and tornadoes make them indispensable. The only possible complaint anyone could have about the current weather is that it's been a bit dry.

This lovely weather means that no one has had much of a challenge yet for their Two Mile Challenge. But no one has complained about that! I would love for you all to read & cheer on our Two Milers. Some of you talked about buddying up with them, so feel free to do that, I can put you in touch with specific ones if you pm me. Almost half our registered Two Milers have posted at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    I FINALLY commuted this morning. Of the last 7 weeks of school, I've only commuted a handful of times (too busy training for IM to "waste" 45 minutes commuting).
    Ummm... I forgot EVERYTHING! I took most of my commuting stuff home a month ago to clean it/refresh the supply since I wasn't commuting. I forgot to pack it all back in my pannier. I'm definitely out of routine!
    "Brushed" my teeth with my finger and toothpaste.
    Applied "make-up" using some old lipstick as blush and an old eyeliner pencil I found in a drawer.
    Wearing my cycling knickers (with large chamois) as tights since those are sitting on my dresser.

Silly me. I already sent myself an e-mail at home to remind me to PACK EVERYTHING BACK UP and bring it back to work.

And Red- the wind is wicked here today, too. Sustained at 25, gusting to 40.
    I just hope it stays out of the south so I can have a tailwind heading home.
    Very resourceful!

I also gave up most of my commuting to focus on triathlon.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    So...I'm riding up the hill about 1.75 miles from my house, approaching a traffic light at the top. Unfortunately, I left late and traffic was busy on this road (one lane each direction, residential, 10' shoulder, recently repaved). A line of traffic is slowly passing me, including a minivan which crossed what should be the white line (dashed line - not yet repainted since the new pavement went down), and passed about 12" from my left shoulder. I yell and give him the back of my hand. Totally uncalled for by the van with such a wide open road.

Well, Mister Pale Blue LTD behind the van apparently didn't like the fact that I was gesturing impolitely to his fellow motorist who was putting my safety at risk by illegally passing me too closely (MD has a 3' rule), so he roars his engine and cuts in front of me, stopping for the light that we are all approaching by completely blocking the shoulder. (Oooooo...he's showing me!!) Thus, he made an illegal move (crossing a solid line (what willbe a solid line when repainted) and driving in the shoulder, specifically to prevent me from doing something completely legal - riding up the shoulder on the right side past a row of cars to a light (yes, that's legal). And bicyclists are the scofflaws?

Unfortunately for him, I'm slow as molasses on that hill on my fully loaded commuter and can practically track stand on the hill, so his little anger stunt had no effect on my forward progress as the light turned green and he crawled away with the line of traffic before I even reached his back bumper.

What an idiot.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    He showed YOU. You'll never ride your bike again, now... What are people thinking when they do that? Ugh...
    Glad he wasn't more aggressive with you than that. Sometimes you just never know who you'll meet on the road (like the redneck in the pickup with the rebel flag, don't tread on me, and I hate the govt. stickers on his bumper that I encountered recently). Nice...

My commute the last two days has been so nice. I love the dark, cool mornings when nobody is about. I'm sad when we have to change the clocks back because then the mornings are light- and I prefer to commute in the dark in the morning. Sigh... it will be totally dark both ways before too long.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike